Disney hopes Narnia works box-office miracle

mousermerf

Account Suspended
speck76 said:
They are forecasting $52million for the opening weekend, but pulling in $23million on the opneing Friday, it looks like they may exceed that amount.

Apparently the insane amount of money spent on promoting it locally is going to pay off.

wdwmaniac

my projection is 75-90 Million this weekend, Friday was 23.9, I think Sat. 40, and Sunday 30-35. :) Saw it twice this weekend so far to sold out theatres :)

DisKid

I just got back, and it was everything I was expecting! It was wonderful! I must hand it to Eisner for allowing the green light for this film! He went out on a high note with this film.
The theater was very full, which is a surprise for the town I'm in. As such, I expect the opening weekend to greatly exceed the 52 million projections!!!!

jrriddle

Just got back. Some quick thoughts...
It was good, quite enjoyable, but it was no LOTR.
Seemed a little more fairytale-ish to me. Not as gritty as LOTR.
Nice visual effects. The whole Christian thing was not too over done. My girlfriend is Jewish and didn't even pick up on it.
The children actors were not annoying, that's a plus.
Tilda Swinton was amazing!!! Stole the whole movie IMHO.
I never say this about a movie, but it felt like it could have been about 1/2 an hour longer.
So bottom line I liked it, but it's going to be crushed by Kong (which I'm dieing to see- also looking forward to Memoirs of a Geisha...Zhang Ziyi :slurp: ).
Probably have more tomorrow after it sinks in a bit.

PS
Just found out. I'll miss you Richard Pryor. Sad news.

speck76

Original Poster
mousermerf said:
I honestly wonder if the setup at MGM Studios will be as elaborate :)

The studios set-up is nice.....not bad.....nothing great, but better than the HM set-up that was previously there

CTXRover

Estimated box office for Saturday was $25.3 million for a total of $48.7 million in 2 days.

Pretty good Saturday, although I must say I was expecting a bigger jump than that from Friday's gross given the number of sold out shows being reported (our local multiplex had sold out shows for all of the theaters showing it (4-5 of them) while I was there) and the overall positive audience reaction the movie got when I saw it. Still very good box office. Sunday may hold up pretty good if the "church group gatherings" happen.

Overall, its opening weekend will be higher than what analysts were expecting.

CTXRover

Opening weekend estimate for Narnia: $67.4 million. 3-4 million shy of Disney's record for an opening weekend set by Finding Nemo and/or The Incredibles.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Friday estimates from ShowBizData:

1. KING KONG UNIVERSAL 3,568 14,365,000 4,026 30,395,000
2. CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE, THE BUENA VISTA 3,616 8,975,000 2,482 90,249,000
3. FAMILY STONE 20TH CENTURY FOX 2,465 4,109,000 1,667 4,109,000

CTXRover

Narnia had a bigger drop than I was hoping for, but not completely unexpected considering the competition that King Kong was to provide. I still believe Narnia will continue to hold up well through the holidays with its good word of mouth and its Christian allegory, if you want to view it that way. Should cross the 100 million mark today (Sat).

Kind of a disappointing start for King Kong though. It made a relatively measly 16 million in its first two days when expectations had it pegged for a haul of 30-45 million over Wed-Thurs prior to its release. There are a many factors and/or excuses as to why it performed that way on Wed and Thurs, but its Friday number wasn't very impressive to make up for it. In fact, it will be very tough, if not impossible, to surpass Narnia's big opening last week, as many had expected. Anyway, it should have good word of mouth and hold up well over the holidays as well. I saw it last night, and like Narnia, I thought it was another excellent film. A little long and there are several parts that should or could have been cut to make it a bit shorter, but otherwise well worth the price of admission.

CTXRover

Weekend Estimate
1 King Kong: $50,148,000
Total: $66.2 million
2 The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: $31,184,000 - Total: $112.5 million
------------
Weekend estimates have Narnia making $31.1 million in its second weekend, which is a 52% drop from its big opening weekend last week. Although I was hoping for around a 45% drop, considering the competition from King Kong, it held up very well and should continue to play strong through the next two holiday weekends. Its total sum is now at $112.5 million in 10 days and I expect could cross the 200 mark over the next 2-3 weeks depending on holiday crowds and how well it continues to hold up.

King Kong knocked Narnia off the top spot with an estimated $50.1 million in its opening weekend. A strong opening considering its weak opening day on Wednesday and should allow Universal execs to take a nice deep breath of relief. Despite performing well below most industry expectations (some expected it to make over $100 million in its first 5 days) and barely making what Narnia did in 3 days over its first 5, it should continue to hold up very, very well based on its increases on Friday and Saturday.

At this point, I'd say its up in the air who will end up being the "holiday champ" at the box office. King Kong didn't come out of the gates roaring like I thought it would.

imagineer boy

I can't believe how well Narnia is doing! I just went to another showing at the Galaxy Theater in Chesterfield which has a "mega screen." Not IMAX, but just an abnormaly larger screen with a HUGE theater. And let me tell you, the whole theater was PACKED! Nearly sold out I beleive. Narnia is definately a success. It looks like Kong didn't hurt it too bad. Like I predicted before, Kong and Narnia would run neck to neck since they're both completely different audience sets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom