Disney Histor!

MicBat

Originally posted by pocahontas79
I have a fact the I thought was kind of neat. One time taking a bus to EPCOT we had Bill the Bus Driver. And for anyone who has had Bill the Bus Driver you know he always tells history stories and has fun facts. He told us that one day somebody wondered how much lint Disney collects in one day with all the laundry they do. So at the end of the day the weighed and it weighed 115lbs. I just thought that was an unbelieviable story.

Wow!! Considering how much a regular size (whatever that may be) weighs, that's a LOT of lint!! I've never had Bill the Bus Driver, but I think it'd be fun to ride with him. I have had a busdriver that told us a bunch about Disney's future (most of which was far from the truth!)

Bagheera

Originally posted by Jonº0º
Roy never had the vision or fortitude for any of Walt's plans. He would fight with Walt over every idea he had, (money). There has not been anyone at Disney since, with the vision and the guts to just do it like Walt.

I'd recommend that you read "Building a Company: Roy O. Disney and the Creation of an Entertainment Empire" by Bob Thomas for a great read and to find out how wrong you are. (btw, Bob Thomas is the one who did -- to my mind -- the best biography written about Walt, "Walt Disney: An American Original".)

mattravels

Original Poster
Where does Bill the bus driver drive to and from? Anyone have any idea? I'll be there next week and am staying at POR. It would be interesting to meet this guy. While I'm there I'll see if I can get any books to help in this post. BYE! 2 MORE DAYS!!

Jonº0º

I'd recommend that you read "Building a Company: Roy O. Disney and the Creation of an Entertainment Empire" by Bob Thomas for a great read and to find out how wrong you are. (btw, Bob Thomas is the one who did -- to my mind -- the best biography written about Walt, "Walt Disney: An American Original".)

You had better read "Disney's World" by Leonard Mosley. It has a lot of great info without the all Thomas's candy coating.
The book also illustrates that EPCOT was planned by Walt to be much different (more money and risk) than it became because Roy did not have the stomach to push as far as he promissed Walt he would.

Originally posted by mattravels
Where does Bill the bus driver drive to and from? Anyone have any idea? I'll be there next week and am staying at POR. It would be interesting to meet this guy.

You know, i think Bill changes routes. when I rode with him, I stayed at Allstar Music and was going to Epcot. But I noticed that someone else commented on him on the What would Walt do site. and they talked about meeting him when they stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I would ask one of the bus drivers and see if they know where he is for the day. He really had some good facts and made the trip entertaining!:D

mattravels

Original Poster
WILL DO!!!!

YAY!!!

Tomorrow I get to say, Tomorrow I get to say, Tomorrow I LEAVE!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!! Sorry I do that to make it seem not so long till I get to go to Florida!! HEHE!! :hammer:

What was originally planned by Walt for Disney when he first came out with his ideas for Disney World?

Bagheera

You had better read "Disney's World" by Leonard Mosley. It has a lot of great info without the all Thomas's candy coating.
The book also illustrates that EPCOT was planned by Walt to be much different (more money and risk) than it became because Roy did not have the stomach to push as far as he promissed Walt he would.

Um, Roy was dead before they even got started on EPCOT Center. It was Card Walker, Donn Tatum, and Ron Miller that spearheaded that project. Roy died months after the Magic Kingdom opened. I'm not sure what the basis for your attack on Roy is.

degunter

STOL Location and HOW TO ACCESS!!!

Originally posted by mattravels
As for the plane, I've never noticed this landing place? Can you give me a sort of general area where it's at? Was this runway built as part of the EPCOT Center idea that Walt had or just built?

INTERESTING STUFF!!:sohappy:

Last time I visited Disney I had some extra time and starting driving around the property. You can see the landing strip to the North of Vista Blvd., (the road that takes you from Fort Wilderness Campground and The Ticket and Transportation Center).

See Map

Disney World STOL Location Map

Then Click on the Disney Button to see the MAP.

As I traveled North on World Drive, toward Wilderness Lodge from the Parking Toll Booth things for the Magic Kingdom, there is what appears to be a side parking lot or staging area on the East Side of the road (before you get to Seven Seas Drive). This area is directly across the street from the Far Right/Handicapped Parking Area for the Magic Kingdom.

Anyway, I drove into that parking lot and was surprised to see there was nothing stopping me from driving on the landing strip. I drove the entire length back to Vista Blvd., but once I got there, there are concrete pilings so I could not get out. So I just turned around and drove out the same way I came in.

There was absolutely no one around other than a few Charter Bus drivers.... Was definetly something I had never seen before which is something I can not say often about Disney World.

Disney World STOL Location Map

Jerm

Re: Re: *pondering*

Originally posted by Main Street USA
Nope! The Grand Californian is located just ouside of the park boundaries. It does, however, have its own seperate gate.:)

Actually it is considered to be inside the park it works as a back drop for the Golden State area. Also the have built 3 total hotels in theme parks the first being the Disneyland Hotel in Paris, the second being the Grand Cal. in DCA, and the third being the Hotel MiraCosta in Toyko Disney Sea.

Also to jump in to another part of this Roy was long gone before they started working on what E.P.C.O.T. Center was going to be. Roy went off of part of Walts plan to build a theme park as teh starting point of Project Florida. Actually when planing MK they wanted to go with all diffrent attractions in Fantasyland but they went with the attractions that were already done in Ca for the cost and time reasons.

For anyone who has ever read Mousetails I hear the same guy is writing a book about WDW that should be coming in about a year or so. I know how much Mousetails did for the rumor clearing of DL so I can imange what a new one will do for WDW.

Jerm

MicBat

Re: Huh?

Originally posted by SG4779
Uhh, Roy Disney is still alive...I have not a clue where you got the idea he is dead.
Roy O. Disney died a few months after the opening of WDW. Roy E. Disney Jr. is the one that's still alive.

Irrawaddy Erik

Re: Huh?

Originally posted by SG4779
Uhh, Roy Disney is still alive...I have not a clue where you got the idea he is dead.
Roy. O. Disney Walt's Brother has passed away but Roy. E. Disney Walt's nephew is still living.

Merlin

Account Suspended

I wouldn't put much stock in any of the information from the book, "Disney's World". It is loaded with inaccuracies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom