Disney has to keep it's staff updated on these bands.

luv

Original Poster
I was in Epcot the other night and in the fast food place in America, some people were attempting to pay with their bands, but the bands didn't work. They were asked for their card and replied that they didn't get one. The staff member told them everyone gets a card to use when the bands don't work and they repeated that they didn't get cards.

Then the staff member got snippy and repeated (word for word) what she'd just said, only in a more snippy tone, at which point the husband forcefully told her that they did not receive a card.

Then the staff person got quiet and kind of didn't make eye contact and they paid some other way.

Then the staff person told them that they needed to go to the hotel and the hotel would reset the band and the pin. But she couldn't let it go. She said they also would be able to replace the missing cards.

The comment wasn't lost on the couple, lol, but they were done caring about what Miss Snippy Register Girl had to say. They just wanted their food.

Disney really needs to alert their staff when they change things - like not giving out cards. Then their rude and clueless staff members might be a little less rude, which would make it more pleasant for everyone.

ETA: I didn't put the apostrophe in "it's" - the iPad did it! Wish I could change it.

Last edited:

Tom

Beta Return
With the Portal, Disney is able to send out electronic memos to all 40,000 CMs any time there's a procedural change, or an update to policy. It's likely that the CMs just clock in and out, and never log in and read all their internal communications.

But, at the same time, they're pushing forward with MM+ so fast that it would not surprise me if a new procedure is in place before Disney tells the front-line CMs.

On the flip side, as far as I know, there are only two resorts that aren't actively giving out KttW cards right now. The rest are still giving them out, I think.

Tom

Beta Return
They could pay with, oh I don't know, a credit card? Or is that so 2012?

In the guests' defense, Disney is marketing the bands as an all-in-one media. In theory, if the system worked, all you would need to carry to the parks is a photo ID (should be common sense), and your Magic Band. No cash, no credit cards, and PhotoPass cards to lose.

I, personally, will never be that comfortable with their technology, so I'll continue to carry my CC to the parks and use it if the room charging doesn't work.

JohnD

Completely agree. On my trip 9/29-10/5, MBs weren't rolled out yet so I gained admission with an AP card and paid everything with Visa. When I went back over Veterans Day weekend, I had an MB but lost it after 1 day (it fell off my wrist). I reverted back to the credit card. Everything ends up there anyway, even if paying with MB.

TheMouseFan

I was in Epcot the other night and in the fast food place in America, some people were attempting to pay with their bands, but the bands didn't work. They were asked for their card and replied that they didn't get one. The staff member told them everyone gets a card to use when the bands don't work and they repeated that they didn't get cards.

Then the staff member got snippy and repeated (word for word) what she'd just said, only in a more snippy tone, at which point the husband forcefully told her that they did not receive a card.

Then the staff person got quiet and kind of didn't make eye contact and they paid some other way.

Then the staff person told them that they needed to go to the hotel and the hotel would reset the band and the pin. But she couldn't let it go. She said they also would be able to replace the missing cards.

The comment wasn't lost on the couple, lol, but they were done caring about what Miss Snippy Register Girl had to say. They just wanted their food.

Disney really needs to alert their staff when they change things - like not giving out cards. Then their rude and clueless staff members might be a little less rude, which would make it more pleasant for everyone.
We had several similar incidents when we were there in November. The first time we tried to enter a park, we were told we didn't have ticket media associated with our account. They looked at us like we were stupid when we said we didn't have KTTW (we were at Pop) and said, "you know, your room keys" and I had to explain that yes, I did know what she meant and that no, we didn't have them! She still didn't believe us and called over someone else. We eventually got it taken care of at Guest Relations and ended up with a card that then allowed us to get FP!

JohnD

We had several similar incidents when we were there in November. The first time we tried to enter a park, we were told we didn't have ticket media associated with our account. They looked at us like we were stupid when we said we didn't have KTTW (we were at Pop) and said, "you know, your room keys" and I had to explain that yes, I did know what she meant and that no, we didn't have them! She still didn't believe us and called over someone else. We eventually got it taken care of at Guest Relations and ended up with a card that then allowed us to get FP!

Sure. I'll use the MB as a convenience. But don't think for one minute that I won't request KTTW cards for myself and my family at check-in, cards for my parents tickets at guest relations when they exchange their printed vouchers (I already have one for my AP), and we take credit cards with us. Armed with those, we still have full access, if for whatever reason the MBs don't work or are lost.

GrumpyFan

They should have either asked for a manager or gone straight to Guest Relations. Or, maybe even called the number for MagicBand support.
Regardless, the CM was in the wrong here and SHOULD have taken the necessary steps to try and resolve the issue for them.

BTW: Disney employees are called "Cast Members".

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
On the flip side, as far as I know, there are only two resorts that aren't actively giving out KttW cards right now. The rest are still giving them out, I think.
Two resorts is enough people that you shouldn't get snippy with someone who says they don't have KttW card. It sounds like the CM didn't even know that was a possibility. My guess is that you are correct with the lack of logging into the employee portal. My employer sends out an e-mail to staff every morning and I have quickly got into the habit of not reading it.

They could pay with, oh I don't know, a credit card? Or is that so 2012?
If they paid for the meal plan I don't think they would appreciate paying for the meal again with their credit card. Otherwise, yes use the CC.

Since when is it even remotely allowed for a CM to get snippy with a guest? Screw everything else, that is the takeaway here.
We had a CM get snippy with us when we tried to use our FP+ at Soarin. She was probably just frazzled with all the FP+ problems she has to deal with. Our bands only worked 7 out of 9 days for our FP+s. The CM at Soarin told us we did not have any FP+s and must have done it wrong. Luckily, I printed all of our FP+s out before we left home. Still when I showed that to her she stated that they are having trouble with guests printing fake lists of bogus FP+s to get into the FP line. I insisted that I did indeed have FP+s. Just then she found them on her computer and let us in. No fun being made to feel like either a dummy or a liar. We were at Pop so only had FP+ to use. REALLY missed having the paper FPs. With those there is no question you indeed have FPs for the ride at that time.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
If they paid for the meal plan I don't think they would appreciate paying for the meal again with their credit card. Otherwise, yes use the CC.

We had a CM get snippy with us when we tried to use our FP+ at Soarin. She was probably just frazzled with all the FP+ problems she has to deal with. Our bands only worked 7 out of 9 days for our FP+s. The CM at Soarin told us we did not have any FP+s and must have done it wrong. Luckily, I printed all of our FP+s out before we left home. Still when I showed that to her she stated that they are having trouble with guests printing fake lists of bogus FP+s to get into the FP line. I insisted that I did indeed have FP+s. Just then she found them on her computer and let us in. No fun being made to feel like either a dummy or a liar. We were at Pop so only had FP+ to use. REALLY missed having the paper FPs. With those there is no question you indeed have FPs for the ride at that time.
I had a similar experience with Pirates of the Carribean. The CM said my daughter had FP, but I didn't, or rather, I had already used mine! Then, later...when I questioned him, he "found" my FP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom