• My Favorite Guide Book isn't listed

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I buy a Guide Book once and that's it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Buy the revised version of my Favorite Guide book every year

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I buy the revised version of my Favorite Guide book every couple of years

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • I don't stick to one particular Guide Book, I buy what looks interesting when I see it

Votes: 9 7.5%

• Total voters

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm curious how many Disney die-hards like ourselves here at WDWMagic buy Disney Guidebooks. I buy at least one every couple of years just to have it, I like to read through it just to feel like I'm at WDW. Am I the only one?
So I'm curious:

How many of you buy Disney Guide books every year or every couple years? Or do you just buy them once and that's it?
Do you buy the same one over and over (each year when the revised edition comes out)?
What is your favorite Guide book?

tigsmom

Every year we buy the Birnbaum's guide and every couple of years we will get the Unofficial Guide. Very little changes from year to year and we are there every summer anyway, but I just can't help myself.
Don't feel badly, its not just you. :wave:

PamelaNiebergal

We buy Birnbaum's every year - especially if we are planning a trip to WDW in the next year or so. We bought the 2004 version and the 2005 version for this trip (actually for some reason we bought two of the 2004 version). We also bought the unoffical guide but I think I would be less likely to buy this one again even though it was a good read. We don't necessarily read them for the information but to get excited for our next trip.

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member
I am addicted to the Unofficial Guides. I buy the new one every year, and it just happens to come out right before we go, perfect timing.
Sometimes I see one of the authors/contributors (or something like that - I don't know his official title) posting around here, but I haven't seen anything recently.
I bought a Birnbaum's guide once, but I felt like I was reading a brochure for Disney World. The Unofficial Guides are much more realistic, and tell-it-like-it-is, at least in my opinion.

tigsmom

AMH97 said:
I am addicted to the Unofficial Guides. I buy the new one every year, and it just happens to come out right before we go, perfect timing.
Sometimes I see one of the authors/contributors (or something like that - I don't know his official title) posting around here, but I haven't seen anything recently.
I bought a Birnbaum's guide once, but I felt like I was reading a brochure for Disney World. The Unofficial Guides are much more realistic, and tell-it-like-it-is, at least in my opinion.

Thats Len Testa right? He posted something the other day.

evanssc

AMH97 said:
I am addicted to the Unofficial Guides. I buy the new one every year, and it just happens to come out right before we go, perfect timing.QUOTE]

I have heard nothing but good things about the Unofficial Guide.
Does it offer that much new information each year or is there a great deal of repeats?

donald23

I don't get to buy guide books that often, only because they can be expensive, but I have Birnbaum's guide book from 2002 and it's great. I want to get the one for 2005. I also want them to make a book for teens, because I like to read them, but there aren't too many that give a good trip layout for teens when we travel with our parents.

Laura

Premium Member
I've only bought the Unofficial Guide 2 years in a row. There weren't many changes between the 2004 and 2005. The 2005 is actually very outdated and doesn't include any of the Magic Your Way information (It was published before info about MYW was public I believe). I'm going to buy the 2006 version this fall for the updated info.

I bought Birnbaum's this year for the first time and thought the same thing as AMH97 - that it was more like a long brochure than an informative guide. The Unofficial Guide is so much more extensive. I don't think I'll buy Birnbaum's again.

tigsmom

donald23 said:
I don't get to buy guide books that often, only because they can be expensive, but I have Birnbaum's guide book from 2002 and it's great. I want to get the one for 2005. I also want them to make a book for teens, because I like to read them, but there aren't too many that give a good trip layout for teens when we travel with our parents.

Its not a Birnbaum's but I've seen it in Barnes & Noble...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0761526277/104-6776611-1223922?v=glance

evanssc

Laura22 said:
I've only bought the Unofficial Guide 2 years in a row. There weren't many changes between the 2004 and 2005. The 2005 is actually very outdated and doesn't include any of the Magic Your Way information (It was published before info about MYW was public I believe). I'm going to buy the 2006 version this fall for the updated info.

Thanks for that. Just what I wanted to know. Do you know when the 2006 version will come out in the fall?

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member
Len Testa - yeah, that's right. I musta missed that post.

There really aren't a lot of changes between years, but sometimes there are different features from year to year. Like last year when they added the Behind the Scenes with Jim Hill, or the pocket touring plans, things like that. I really enjoy the reader feedback, and they way the information is presented, kinda in a comical way, not so matter-of-fact.

Lauriebar

I get the Birnbaum guide every other year just because I love to read it and relive the magic of WDW. Sure it's kind of a high falootin travel brochure for Disney but, it was an invaluable resourse on our first few trips.

Robfasto

I have never bought a guide book... just never felt the need. Now with the advent of the internet I don't feel like I am missing anything as anything worth seeing as always mentioned on some website or another.

Pippa

I get the Birnbaum and the Unofficial Guide every couple of years, the Birnbaum because its like a nice souvenir and gets you feeling the Disney Magic and the Unofficial Guide is more helpful.

Captain Hank

I like both the Unofficial and the Birnnbaum's about equally. I get one or the other every few years or so, especially close to trips. I do like the reader feedback sections in the unofficial guide, but I also really like the smaller size of Birnbaum's. I tend to use the UG more for planning, and Birnbaum's as an emergency in-park reference, as opposed to carrying around the brick that is the UG.

GenerationX

evanssc said:
Thanks for that. Just what I wanted to know. Do you know when the 2006 version will come out in the fall?
Probably sometime during the last two weeks of August. The last time I bought the Unofficial Guide, I checked bookstores nearly every day during August until it was finally there. I emphatically recommend the Unofficial Guide to any first-time visitor who asks about trip planning.

barnum42

For newbies I recommend the Unofficial Guide book. Personally I've not bought a guidebook for over ten years. I get all the info updates from the gang here and allears net :D

Tim G

Eeyore said:
I'm curious how many Disney die-hards like ourselves here at WDWMagic buy Disney Guidebooks. I buy at least one every couple of years just to have it, I like to read through it just to feel like I'm at WDW. Am I the only one??
Nope... :D I often read The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World just for the fun of it...

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Corrus said:
Nope... :D I often read The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World just for the fun of it...

Ditto. I keep The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World on the nightstand for pleasure reading, along with this web site it's a great WDW fix.

DisneyPinDad

Another View

While I agree with the other posts that Unofficial Guide and Birnbaums are both good, I have to say that :cool: PASSPORTER ROCKS!! :cool:

We get a new Passporter every year and it's always fresh, up to date and fun. Plus, it gives us a great way to organize and plan our trip (and build excitement as each new thing goes into the book).

Plus, when we get home, they make a great record of the trip. Every year, we pull out all the old books and review to help plan the new trip.

Just my opinion,
DisneyPinDad

PS: No, I am not Jennifer or Dave - the publishers of Passporter...but I'd love to meet them!! :lol:

June 2000 - Dixie Landings (Gone but not forgotten)
November 2001 - Wilderness Lodge (The only place to stay!!!)
November 2002 - Off site (never again)
June 2004 - Carribean Beach (a nice resort, but June is TOO hot)
November 2005 - Wilderness Lodge (Going Home Again)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom