Disney Grad Nites to End

MissM

I went to mine in 1995. I couldn't even begin to tell you who was there that night though. Honestly, I barely remember Grad Nite. No particular reason, just that I've been to the parks so many times it all blurs together after awhile. :lol:

jt04

Something that had seen its better days a decade ago. Great decision. And it definitely deserves one of these.....

WAY TO GO TDO! :wave:

joannecasey

If I recall as well, the lineups changed from week to week, so it all depended upon what week you were there.

My wife is INSANELY jealous that I had New Kids on the Block. She was (is still for that matter) a huge fan. I thought they sucked, and still think they do. I remember them singing that horrific refrain "The right stuff" when we first got in the park. We then rode Space Mountain, came back thru and they were STILL singing that same refrain..

Lita Ford did ok singing her hit "Kiss me once! Kiss me Twice! Come on pretty baby KISS ME DEADLY"

The year she went she had C&C music factory. I would of liked to see that.

I'm with your wife on this one !! I'm 34 and went to see them in concert 3 times in 2008 because I never did get to go when I was a teenager !! Long live the New Kids !!! :ROFLOL:

JafarMaleficent

Awww, I have to say I'm a little sad to see it go! And I was a Cast Member during it! I only worked it one year though, and it was the year it was at Hollywood Studios. It was probably one of the most fun nights I worked though. I worked merchandise and just sold glow merch all night and basically got paid to watch Katy Perry perform. It was awesome! I can imagine it potentially being a nightmare for attractions cast members though...but for me it was fun!! haha.

I can see why they'd do away with it though. It took up multiple weekends and time away from regular guests that would actually spend money. Not to mention the money spent on booking fairly large entertainment acts and loads of special merchandise. I remember in our shop we had to put all of the jewelry racks in the back because shoplifting was an issue...All I really remember selling that night were the special graduation ear hats.

I remember Katy Perry. That night was fun.and Katy Perry was a big name. I think I might remember seeing you working LOL. I still day its a bad decision. BTW does anyone know WY it was at Hollywood studios in 09.

Raven66

It's kind of sad that it's going. I can understand that it was a headache. I went with my S. Florida High School in 1985. I couldn't tell you if there was concerts or not. I just don't remember. I do remember we had to dress up. All of us. We had a great time. We didn't stay there tho, we headed back home in the wee hours of the morning. We were told if we got into any trouble it could affect our graduation. That kept us all in line. :eek:

puntagordabob

sad to see the tradition end....

was at the Grad Night 85 at the MK.....

Midnight Star, Shalamar, Teena Marie, Animotion, Run DMC, Shannon was our band lineup....

Sketch105

Frankly, I'm sad to see it go, and I have no reason to be sad about it.

I grew up in Massachusetts. We didn't have a "Grad Nite" or anything. We went to Six Flags New England for the day, on a regular guest day. No concert, no no special anything for us. To top it off, the best ride in the park- Superman: Ride of Steel- was not open that day at all. When we were leaving, they began testing it! It was still a fun trip, but I'm ed that so many lucky kids have gotten awesome grad nights at local parks while we missed out. At the same time, I feel bad for the kids who've been looking forward to it over the years. I know I'd be disappointed.

Then again, we didn't have to wear slacks to a park :ROFLOL:

pintraderpayee

This (April 29th) will be my second Grad Nite to be a chaperone. I am glad for my Class of 2011 daughter and her classmates who are attending that they get to be part of the last one. I personally enjoy participating in the Youth Education Series classes more than Grad Nite, but I can see where it would be a disappointment for upcoming classes. I do enjoy the fact that a chaperone's badge is an automatic FastPass during Grad Nite:sohappy: I do NOT let my students misbehave at Disney World and get away with it. They know how much I love WDW and that they better treat the CMs with the utmost respect otherwise I have to "go all southern" on them in public!!!:D

SeanC

A lot of Florida schools now do Grad Day at Universal during regular park hours and can go any day of the week or weekend. Looks like Disney is moving to that model.

TRONorail10

When we were there we had no idea of these 'Grad Nights' and we were told by a CM right before 7, I believe, that we had to leave the park because of it. We were a bit annoyed having paid for a full day then being unexpectedly asked to leave. So, we won't be missing Grad Nights but I cans ee how some others would.

Yes, after that we avoided Grad Nights.

This is one of the biggest problems with guests. A one day ticket is a one day ticket. But there are different operating hours for each park on a daily basis. It is YOUR responsibility to check the hours before paying for your ticket. Disney cast members don't question how long you intend to stay at a park, their job is to provide you with a ticket if you pay for one. Cast members will gladly give you park hours if you need to know, aside from that, they are posted in advance at all guest relations, concierge, www.disneyparks.com, www.waltdisneyworld.com, parking toll booths, TIMES GUIDES, guest relations hotline, etc. :drevil:

ryguy

I can't imagine Night of Joy getting the ax. It's only a two day event in the middle of September.

Does anyone remember the Valentines Day Special Ticket events? I went one year as a kid and followed Tiffany around the Magic Kingdom:kiss:. That night she recorded a music video for the song "Could've Been". Expose was one of the other groups. Ray Parker Jr (ghostbusters song) may have been there too.

I think Universal is a better spot for Grad nite anyway.

Sketch105

This is one of the biggest problems with guests. A one day ticket is a one day ticket. But there are different operating hours for each park on a daily basis. It is YOUR responsibility to check the hours before paying for your ticket. Disney cast members don't question how long you intend to stay at a park, their job is to provide you with a ticket if you pay for one. Cast members will gladly give you park hours if you need to know, aside from that, they are posted in advance at all guest relations, concierge, www.disneyparks.com, www.waltdisneyworld.com, parking toll booths, TIMES GUIDES, guest relations hotline, etc. :drevil:

Here, here! Well said. Its amazing when guests take it out on the company or cast members because they failed to check the park times and assumed the park would be open late.

Most of the parks in Orlando get the same type of flack, but the truth is that times are openly posted in various locations, from the website you buy your tickets at to the park map you recieve when you enter the park.

danpam1024

Getting to go to grad nite at Hollywood studios was awesome. I personally don't think they should take it a way from seniors. It's almost a right of passage.

Agreed. I went in94 and it was one of the last times our group of friends got to be together as "kids" before we went our separate ways and had to grow up. Universal still doing theirs?

Alektronic

Agreed. I went in94 and it was one of the last times our group of friends got to be together as "kids" before we went our separate ways and had to grow up. Universal still doing theirs?

Yes, in fact, they welcome the business next year. Universal doesn't see a end to it anytime soon. They are already sold out on April 15 and 30 along with the pre-parties also. They call it Grad Bash.

EvilQueen-T

i'm a little sad to see it go. i went to grad night back in the day and so did my kids when they were seniors so from a nostalgia point of view it's a little sad. i'm surprised they didn't just move it to ak instead of at mk. when my daughter did cheerleading allstar worlds at the end of april they had a private party for them at ak after hours. that would keep the tradition going but keep the busier mk open for regular tourists. just my thoughts.

R W B

I'm kinda sad to see it go. I had no idea about, never heard about it until recently but once I did I thought immediately that my nephew will be Class of 2013 and I thought this would be a great gift for him and some friends, I would volunteer to be the chaperone and it would be a great time. I'm not really interested in going to DL or Universal for this though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom