Disney Golf?

Main Street USA

Original Poster
I'm looking to book some tee times for my visit, and am wondering if anyone on here has played any of the Disney courses, or has an opinion on which one is the best. All comments/suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!!!:)

Donaldistheduck

I cant remember the names of the courses but all of them are very nice, I dont know how into golf you are, but they all are for all levels. If you just play golf a couple times a year, the front tees are alot of fun. Or if you are an avid player the back tees are very challenging. The greens run about an 11 on the stimp meter and the rough isnt too bad. But they are all an enjoyable experience.

One tip: Get tee times EARLY, it gets really hot in the afternoon and thats when the thunderstorms usually come in. Plus in the morning you can get in a round in 4 hours or less!

ucf disneyfan

2 weeks ago I got to play one of Disney's courses for the first time. I played at Magnolia and thought it was a great course. I'm not the greatest of golfers so I found it to be pretty challengeing. There is alot of sand and some holes with water in front of the green.

Main Street USA

Original Poster
Thanks guys.

Well, I had actually decided on Magnolia, but I called to book a tee time and they said it was going down for rehab in three days.:rolleyes:

So, unless they finish the rehab early, I won't be able to play there. I was thinking of Osprey Ridge, which I understand is mostly woods, or Lake Buena Vista. BUT, Lake Buena Vista is partly through the old Disney Institute, which is deserted, so I wasn't reallt in a hurry to run and play there. Arrrrgh!:lol:

Anyone else have any advice or experience? Help.:lookaroun

SpongeScott

Zac--what time do WE tee off?

Afternoon tee times are cheaper if you can hack the heat. Heat wouldn't bother me; only lightning does on a golf course!

FORE!!!!!

zoo19

Did they tell you how long it was going to be in rehab? We are going down the first week in August and my husband wanted to play there (of course he hasn't called for a tee time yet). If they let you know that would be great otherwise I'll tell him to call now to make his choices.

Bagheera

Originally posted by Main Street USA
Thanks guys.

Well, I had actually decided on Magnolia, but I called to book a tee time and they said it was going down for rehab in three days.:rolleyes:

So, unless they finish the rehab early, I won't be able to play there. I was thinking of Osprey Ridge, which I understand is mostly woods, or Lake Buena Vista. BUT, Lake Buena Vista is partly through the old Disney Institute, which is deserted, so I wasn't reallt in a hurry to run and play there. Arrrrgh!:lol:

Anyone else have any advice or experience? Help.:lookaroun

Well, Lake Buena Vista also goes through the Old Key West Resort so you can shank a couple onto people's porches, if you want. :lol:

But seriously, I've heard good things about Osprey Ridge, and of course the Palm is the other course (along with Magnolia) used for the tournament (Funai sponsoring this year?) in October. Up until a few years ago, LBV was also used for the tournament, but they decided that, with people playing different two of the three before the cut, it wasn't fair to everyone, so they cut it to two courses.

TMI?

Main Street USA

Original Poster
Well, the rates right now in the afternoon are unbelievable. At 3:00 you can play for 30 bucks a person. So we plan on doing that no matter what.

We'll be down the last week of August, and the guy said that they didn't have a set time for Magnolia to reopen, but late August might be pushing it. He wouldn't let me get a tee time for it, so thats says quite a lot.

We've talked some more and officially decided against Lake Buena Vista because of the construction and deserted treehouses (spooky).:lookaroun

Osprey Ridge or Palm is what I assume we'll end up with. He did say, however, that I should try to call back closer to the time we'll be there, just to check on an exact opening date for Magnolia.

jmarc63

Well MSUSA, From your responce you want a cource with some atmosphere, But I would suggest that you play each cource once and see which one fits your skill level, since there all diffrent
If not all, most of the cources are championship calibre, a few designed by award winning pros and designers.

Have fun FORE!!

Main Street USA

Original Poster
Originally posted by jmarc63
Well MSUSA, From your responce you want a cource with some atmosphere, But I would suggest that you play each cource once and see which one fits your skill level, since there all diffrent
If not all, most of the cources are championship calibre, a few designed by award winning pros and designers.

Have fun FORE!!

Well, that'd be great if I wanted to spend my whole week playing golf, but let's not forget why I'm really there!:lol:

It'll actually be the second day we play. We'll be playing earlier in the week at Orange Lake Country Club. So that's 2 days taken away from our time at the parks and other places, and compared to our usual zero, that's a lot!:lol:

mickeygolfer

WDW Golf

MSUSA:
As you can see from my user ID I have a great love for Disney Golf. I have played all the courses at WDW at least once and here is a quick take (BTW and to help you evaluate my take, I'm a 10 handicapper)

LBV- Yes it does wind thru the old DI, and OKW. I played it in April and the construction didn't really bother me. Reminds me a lot of the courses I ususlly play in VA Beach, narrow fairways and houses/condos along them. It is a pretty course and I really love the Island green on the 7th.

EP - Very tough to read greens and lots of trouble all around. Demands a well placed tee shot. Very challenging but fun.

Ospry - A very typical Pete Dye design has lots of water (on nine of the 18 ). Lots of bunkers, I mean lots. I think it is the toughest but YMMV. Lots of elevation changes.

Palm- A good course to introduce you to WDW golf. A very straightforward course, what you see is what you get. Some water, #18 approach shot to the green is a real challenge. You see some of the fairways from the road. The first course I ever palyed at WDW. It was closed in April for irrigration upgrades so I didn't get a chance to play it.

Magnolia- Very Long, the longest of all. Played it twice in April. Greens are fun to read also, but a great course, my favorite but again YMMV.

Oak Trail - An often overlooked 9 hole course that sometimes parallels Mag. Good intro to WDW Golf. Very peaceful and a good course for walking for a late evening round. Don't rent an electric cart you won't need it. It doesn't get the attention the other courses receive as far as grounds maintenance but generally is in good shape. Lots of family play, the green fees are around $35. I always see a lot of Dad's and sons out. No tee times are really needed. It has some hidden gems that are just as much fun as the "big courses".

Hope this helps and hit em straight!

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!

That's probebly for the FUNAI Classic in late October. Friends of ours are going with us this October, and they are going to play some golf. They can't use the Magnolia or Palm the 23 - 26 because of the Classic.

They are probebly just getting it ready for tornoment.

Main Street USA

Original Poster
Re: WDW Golf

Originally posted by mickeygolfer
MSUSA:
As you can see from my user ID I have a great love for Disney Golf. I have played all the courses at WDW at least once and here is a quick take (BTW and to help you evaluate my take, I'm a 10 handicapper)

LBV- Yes it does wind thru the old DI, and OKW. I played it in April and the construction didn't really bother me. Reminds me a lot of the courses I ususlly play in VA Beach, narrow fairways and houses/condos along them. It is a pretty course and I really love the Island green on the 7th.

EP - Very tough to read greens and lots of trouble all around. Demands a well placed tee shot. Very challenging but fun.

Ospry - A very typical Pete Dye design has lots of water (on nine of the 18 ). Lots of bunkers, I mean lots. I think it is the toughest but YMMV. Lots of elevation changes.

Palm- A good course to introduce you to WDW golf. A very straightforward course, what you see is what you get. Some water, #18 approach shot to the green is a real challenge. You see some of the fairways from the road. The first course I ever palyed at WDW. It was closed in April for irrigration upgrades so I didn't get a chance to play it.

Magnolia- Very Long, the longest of all. Played it twice in April. Greens are fun to read also, but a great course, my favorite but again YMMV.

Oak Trail - An often overlooked 9 hole course that sometimes parallels Mag. Good intro to WDW Golf. Very peaceful and a good course for walking for a late evening round. Don't rent an electric cart you won't need it. It doesn't get the attention the other courses receive as far as grounds maintenance but generally is in good shape. Lots of family play, the green fees are around $35. I always see a lot of Dad's and sons out. No tee times are really needed. It has some hidden gems that are just as much fun as the "big courses".

Hope this helps and hit em straight!

Thanks so much Disney Golfer. You're the kind of guy I was looking for.:)

But, you've made me feel worse. Magnolia is your favorite. DOH!

j/k Looks like I'll probably be picking Osprey Ridge. A lot of water and elevation chnges usually means good atmosphere. My main thing is that I still want to feel like I'm at Disney. (Yet another reason why I chose Magnolia to begin with.)

I really wish LBV wasn't through that old part of the DI. Of course, with narrow fairways, I'd be in people's backyards more than I'd like!:lol:

mickeygolfer

WDW Golf

Don't feel too bad , you'll still have a blast on whatever course you play. You' love Osprey Ridge, especially the 582 yard 7th. It a very peaceful course and is just beautiful. You'll still have some "Disney Magic" when you get there.

Wish I could join you but I won't be going home until January.

Let me know how you like it.

SpongeScott

Mickeygolfer,

Great synopses of the courses. Whenever I get a chance to play a round down there, I'll be looking this thread up. Thanks for your descriptions.

mickeygolfer

WDW Golf

Thanks for the kind words SPonge Scott:)

As for the lightning thing I have a bit of advice;)

I always carry a 2-iron in my bag and when the lightning starts I hold it way in the air!

Why?

Because even God can't hit a 2-iron:)

Your're right it's nothing to fool with, I've seen wht it can do!

SpongeScott

Originally posted by RickEff
Zac,

Did you ever answer Scott as to when WE tee off?:wave:

Rick
All right! We've got a threesome; now we need just one more to round it out. Anyone want to join us for a round?

And mickeygolfer, give credit where credit is due--it was Lee Trevino who uttered that famous line about lightning, but I think he referenced a ONE iron.

Main Street USA

Original Poster
Ah, yes I did skip that one didn't I.:)

We actually have 3 people, my wife, my dad, and me, so there's only room for one more. Looks like one of you is screwed!:lol:

SpongeScott

Ah, yes I did skip that one didn't I.:)

We actually have 3 people, my wife, my dad, and me, so there's only room for one more. Looks like one of you is screwed!:lol:
I'll carry your clubs and clean your balls. :lookaroun :lookaroun :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom