Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Chef Mickey

I was a Disney apologist and I'm still always pro business, but the news of "record high Genie+" pricing just confirms the decision to not renew was correct. It's so sad. I don't even want to go back right now.

What does a ticket even get you anymore? Walking around the parks?

The food costs too much, the quality is bad, the show is bad, the crowds, the shortened hours, reduced staff, political fighting, frustrating transportation, and outrageous pricing at hotels make the day feel toxic.

I'd say Genie+ is actually one of the primary reasons the parks are so lame these days.

This company has such short-sighted, awful management. How long can you rip people off with lower quality product and higher prices? Sure, you'll get away with it for the Holidays, bc people are suckers, but I'm betting the day in day out starts getting harder to screw people.

Anyone who had been to Disney prior to 2019 knows the product is objectively worse. People who remember 2010 know it's dropped off a cliff. And people who remember the 80s and 90s can probably not stand it today.

Combine that with the flop after flop in politically charged, idiotic content, I don't see Disney having a future that looks anything like the past. They entire board, management need to go and the company might even need to be sold or at least a huge activist investor to fix it.

Fido Chuckwagon

Mess of capacity for sure, but paid ride skip is hardly a new thing for Disney or theme parks overall.
Are there other parks in the world where people go and spend a week? It’s one thing to do the 1 day line skip for your 1 day trip to a theme park (that often doesn’t get terrible lines and where the kiddie rides are 5 minute waits). It’s another thing at a park where you are spending 10 days, and the spinner rides are all 30 minute waits.

SamusAranX

I was a Disney apologist and I'm still always pro business, but the news of "record high Genie+" pricing just confirms the decision to not renew was correct. It's so sad. I don't even want to go back right now.

The food costs too much, the quality is bad, the show is bad, the crowds, the shortened hours, reduced staff, political fighting, frustrating transportation, and outrageous pricing at hotels make the day feel toxic.

I'd say Genie+ is actually one of the primary reasons the parks are so lame these days.

This company has such short-sighted, awful management. How long can you rip people off with lower quality product and higher prices? Sure, you'll get away with it for the Holidays, bc people are suckers, but I'm betting the day in day out starts getting harder to screw people.

Anyone who had been to Disney prior to 2019 knows the product is objectively worse. People who remember 2010 know it's dropped off a cliff. And people who remember the 80s and 90s can probably not stand it today.

Combine that with the flop after flop in politically charged, idiotic content, I don't see Disney having a future that looks anything like the past. They entire board, management need to go and the company might even need to be sold or at least a huge activist investor to fix it.
Pretty much. I’m so torn on renewing my pass or not

Chef Mickey

Pretty much. I’m so torn on renewing my pass or not
Definitely don't. And don't be fooled by the "discount" in renewing it. Taking a 1 month break from the parks would already break you even from their stupid 10% renewal. Just wait a few months and renew and you have it that much longer.

I travel a lot, but now I travel even more to other places and I end up having a much better time. Literally, go to like Oslo and take a couple day trips to the countryside. Then try Iceland. Heck, go every place that's in EPCOT for real. It'd probably be cheaper too.

surfsupdon

Definitely don't. And don't be fooled by the "discount" in renewing it. Taking a 1 month break from the parks would already break you even from their stupid 10% renewal. Just wait a few months and renew and you have it that much longer.

I travel a lot, but now I travel even more to other places and I end up having a much better time. Literally, go to like Oslo and take a couple day trips to the countryside. Then try Iceland. Heck, go every place that's in EPCOT for real. It'd probably be cheaper too.
Yes!!! And when you go the the real world European countries- find a theme park for a day trip! It’s so worth it and so much cheaper than Disney.

Caneva World in Italy had great rides and a wild Waterpark!
Aqualand in Greece was amazing!
Currently researching a park in Spain for the summer.

Biff215

Are there other parks in the world where people go and spend a week? It’s one thing to do the 1 day line skip for your 1 day trip to a theme park (that often doesn’t get terrible lines and where the kiddie rides are 5 minute waits). It’s another thing at a park where you are spending 10 days, and the spinner rides are all 30 minute waits.
I think that’s a valid point. Universal Express is priced the way it is because there is a much more limited supply. Pay for one night in one of their “deluxe” resorts and it’s included for two days, and the room could be less than Disney’s resorts. What does Disney give you for upwards of $500-$1000/night in comparison? Nothing!

We have one day in Orlando before an upcoming cruise. We priced both and even have DVC as an option but chose Universal. It’s unfamiliar territory for us but I’m excited based on where WDW has been headed. As others have said, I’m sure we’re easily replaced but we’ll continue to spend our vacation dollars elsewhere.

Last edited:

mattpeto

For plenty of people, it’s more than enough…

Not a fan of nighttime spectaculars, entertainment, food (plenty of good food there, just stop), sights that make your marvel, smells, ease of logistics and overall feeling safe for your family, etc?

It’s never been just the rides for me…

Look has the value dropped a bit since 2019 and the other decades? Probably, but nothing is ever the same.

Touchdown

Pass expires in 2 months, I have one more trip in January before hopping over to Universal. I’m probably not going to be an AP again for a while. I have a Universal AP through Jan 2025, hope to pick up a Magic Key in October (70th Anniversary, my brother is bringing his kids there next Feb,) and I’ll most certainly pick up a Universal AP in October 2025 to experience Epic Universe. October 2026 is the earliest I’ll be back. You don’t need Genie+ to do the parks though, just use EE and rope drop to your advantage.

Disstevefan1

T r O p H y 🎄

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member

Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Do people only eat at quick service spots in the parks and then bash the entirety of food quality on property? And you don't have to only eat at table service spots either to find good food.

There are so many places you can get a burger or sandwich or nachos, pizza etc on property that are absolutely awesome and the price isn't much different than Cosmic Ray's or Pecos Bill or any qs locations in the parks.

Captain Cooks at Polynesian, Bar Riva at Riveria, The Deli on The Boardwalk, and many others which dont require a reservation. But it would however require leaving the parks to eat which I think many families wouldn't consider because it would diminish park time/ride count. Which in turn means their only options become QS at the parks (for options like burgers, nachos, pizza)

This (IMO) is one of many aspects that affects a person or families day. They're so hard core about ride count and time in the parks that it gets stressful when you just want a decent meal but end up with a burger and fries for $15 that is extremely lack luster, and you never leave the extremely busy environment of the park which keeps you in a "go-go-go" mentality all day. At end of the day, you're physically and mentally exhausted amd still want a decent meal which makes it easy to think that food quality is bad.

Taking an afternoon break whether it's a stop at the pool (if you're stating on property or close) or just leaving the park to get lunch is a great way to reset and actually get some good food for the same price as the parks.

You can take a short and enjoyable boat ride (which most kids would probly love) from MK to Wilderness Lodge and get lunch at Geyser Point and be back at MK within 30 minutes or less after eating. You'd probly get 2 attractions extra if you stayed at MK in the same time frame. Fair trade IMO

Chef Mickey

For plenty of people, it’s more than enough…

Not a fan of nighttime spectaculars, entertainment, food (plenty of good food there, just stop), sights that make your marvel, smells, ease of logistics and overall feeling safe for your family, etc?

It’s never been just the rides for me…

Look has the value dropped a bit since 2019 and the other decades? Probably, but nothing is ever the same.
So we should be ok with it bc things are always worse over time? I’m good with change, but it’s objectively worse.

What are they even doing with their movie content? What’s in the pipeline that you’re excited about, content wise? The only good content they have is acquired or 30+ years old and they are in the process of ruining that too.

Af this rate, the parks will reflect the awful content they’ve created. The only reason the parks are passable now is they are old.

MrPromey

You can take a short and enjoyable boat ride (which most kids would probly love) from MK to Wilderness Lodge and get lunch at Geyser Point and be back at MK within 30 minutes or less after eating. You'd probly get 2 attractions extra if you stayed at MK in the same time frame. Fair trade IMO
Problem is, when Disney considers it a "success" for guests to be able to complete six attractions/experiences in a day and when by their own estimates G+ is expected to get the average guest 2-3 more attractions in a day, taking an excursion like this where people may lose out on 2 or more things in a day becomes a non-starter for a lot of folks.

If you've been a few dozen times or go two or more times a year and didn't blink at the $150 gate price, that might not be a big deal for you but for people on their once in a lifetime or once every decade trip, it matters, especially with higher crowds feeding into the same capacity during often reduced hours some of the parks are open these days to accommodate Disney's various money making schemes that involve selling tickets for twice in a single day.

Last edited:

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Do people only eat at quick service spots in the parks and then bash the entirety of food quality on property? And you don't have to only eat at table service spots either to find good food.

There are so many places you can get a burger or sandwich or nachos, pizza etc on property that are absolutely awesome and the price isn't much different than Cosmic Ray's or Pecos Bill or any qs locations in the parks.

Captain Cooks at Polynesian, Bar Riva at Riveria, The Deli on The Boardwalk, and many others which dont require a reservation. But it would however require leaving the parks to eat which I think many families wouldn't consider because it would diminish park time/ride count. Which in turn means their only options become QS at the parks (for options like burgers, nachos, pizza)

This (IMO) is one of many aspects that affects a person or families day. They're so hard core about ride count and time in the parks that it gets stressful when you just want a decent meal but end up with a burger and fries for $15 that is extremely lack luster, and you never leave the extremely busy environment of the park which keeps you in a "go-go-go" mentality all day. At end of the day, you're physically and mentally exhausted amd still want a decent meal which makes it easy to think that food quality is bad.

Taking an afternoon break whether it's a stop at the pool (if you're stating on property or close) or just leaving the park to get lunch is a great way to reset and actually get some good food for the same price as the parks.

You can find some decent QS food at WDW, but you have to know where to go. But if you’re a picky eater who will only do burgers and Pizza, you’re going to be disappointed. That being said, the MK is generally terrible for both QS and TS all around and anyone who likes QS pizza or Chinese at Disney Parks QS locations may be a serial killer.

TheMaxRebo

The quick service food at MK and DHS leave much to be desired. However, Epcot and AK have always had phenomenal QS, and still do.

There are options at DHS for non-ADR food ... Robot Wraps, Baseline Taphouse, Brown Derby Lounge, etc ... Not as good as Epcot or AK, but MK is really the only one I struggl with and usually wind up with just snacks or going to a monorail resort

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom