Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Andrew M

I loved FP+, I had that system down to a science. The park experience has devolved to the point where, unless the park is absolutely empty, Genie+ is a necessity on your basic annual 5 day park hopper trip. If the pricepoint is about the same I'm going to have to get it.

My biggest complaint about Genie+ is that it favors rope-droppers. If you don't redeem that first selection immediately and rinse and repeat, your 3rd, 4th and on selections are going be bad. As someone whose family likes to sleep in on vacation after logging 12+ miles in the park each day, knowing you've got your 3 selections lined up without having to wake up at 7am or rope drop was fantastic.

Andrew M

I think you've never used Genie+.

There's no need to be "CONSTANTLY" looking at your phone. You use it for 60 seconds every hour or two to book your LL, then you glance at it periodically if you forget your time, the same as you would check your phone if you were wondering what time it was and weren't wearing a watch.

The people who are "CONSTANTLY" on their phone are the people who would be "CONSTANTLY" on their phone regardless of whether Genie+ ever existed.

People being addicted to their smartphones is not a Genie+ phenomenon.
This complaint I never got. I spent about the same time on the phone for Genie+ as I did for FP+.

doctornick

How do they not have availability? They were able to let everyone book 3 with FP+ and not everyone gets Genie+.

This is a great opportunity for a perk for on-site guests.
Well, with some separate ILL rides, that does remove some capacity from the system relative to FP+. They also have closed PW, Splash and VOTLM (not sure if the latter show was part of FP+). Was SGE part of FP+ when it was open? And are they back to all of the M&Gs they had previously on FP+?

On the flip side, Ratatouille is new capacity and part of G+.

Regarding resorts guests, seems a simple perk but still valuable would be to give them an earlier reservation date for G+ relative to everyone else, which was pretty much the perk for FP+ too.

CaptainAmerica

This complaint I never got. I spent about the same time on the phone for Genie+ as I did for FP+.
I've made this joke before, but it's true. I can book my next lightning lane with one hand while I pee. It doesn't take any amount of effort or time out of my day.

Yes, it's a price increase, and if people want to complain about it as a price increase, fine. But the "phone addiction" issue is a product of people on Instagram and SnapChat, not people staring at their phone for Genie+ reservations for hours at a time.

doctornick

There's no need to be "CONSTANTLY" looking at your phone. You use it for 60 seconds every hour or two to book your LL, then you glance at it periodically if you forget your time, the same as you would check your phone if you were wondering what time it was and weren't wearing a watch.

The people who are "CONSTANTLY" on their phone are the people who would be "CONSTANTLY" on their phone regardless of whether Genie+ ever existed.

I guess the “constantly” complain would be from people checking regularly to get an earlier/better G+ reservation? Maybe some validity there but probably not most G+ users.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member

depends on if you keep trying to modify to find a better time or something near the location you're in at the moment

SirLink

I don't understand why they are going back to pre-booking attractions like FP+ dumb decisions - unless they decide to groups of attractions and you have to take the times Disney gives you without modification.

This would be the perfect opportunity to get rid of front of the line access full stop.

doctornick

I don't understand why they are going back to pre-booking attractions like FP+ dumb decisions

I would assume it is because they have received a lot of negative feedback regarding Genie+ in terms of not being able to pre-book and/or complaints about the “getting up early while on vacation to book” aspect to maximize its value.

Though of course they are likely in the future to get complaints going forward about how annoying it is to pre-plan and have to book G+ in advance. Basically any system will garner complaints. Even no front of the line system at all.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I don't understand why they are going back to pre-booking attractions like FP+ dumb decisions - unless they decide to groups of attractions and you have to take the times Disney gives you without modification.

This would be the perfect opportunity to get rid of front of the line access full stop.
My guess is it’s more about the money than the guest satisfaction but we’ll see what they come out with. I really hope they do this right but…I’m not going to hold my breath

We need our insiders to do some digging here because there are a lot of possibilities here

Chi84

Premium Member
I would assume it is because they have received a lot of negative feedback regarding Genie+ in terms of not being able to pre-book and/or complaints about the “getting up early while on vacation to book” aspect to maximize its value.

Though of course they are likely in the future to get complaints going forward about how annoying it is to pre-plan and have to book G+ in advance. Basically any system will garner complaints. Even no front of the line system at all.
No front of the line system would be a deal-breaker for a lot of guests. I loved FP+, learned to deal with the current paid system, but wouldn’t go to WDW at all if it was all standby

SirLink

No front of the line system would be a deal-breaker for a lot of guests. I loved FP+, learned to deal with the current paid system, but wouldn’t go to WDW at all if it was all standby

Good then they may have to build actual rides to get guests to keep going back. Plus no front of line of access helps to disperse crowds to other attractions like before fastpass when the parks were maintained to a higher standard and there wasn't a bozo named 'Bob' in charge.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Good then they may have to build actual rides to get guests to keep going back. Plus no front of line of access helps to disperse crowds to other attractions like before fastpass when the parks were maintained to a higher standard and there wasn't a bozo named 'Bob' in charge.
FastPass was introduced under Eisner.

JD80

I think you're making too many assumptions. I've used it plenty, casually and as a power user.

In any case your argument is pointless. People are always on their phone in general. They are taking videos and pictures, checking maps, checking wait times, mobile ordering, using G+, using MDE for whatever reason, dining reservations let alone normal usage like texts, calls, web browsing etc.

Not to mention any of the games people play while in line.

valenrandy

G+ has worked out quite well for our family since its debut. It reminds me of the days of the old fastpass where I would run ride to ride getting those paper fast passes but now its all on my phone. Everyone has the same opportunity at the same time. I don't mind getting up early as I'm normally up at 4am for work so waking up at 6:55am is awesome. I hope however the new advance G+ is setup will still accommodate spontaneous visits. We will just adjust as always.....

JD80

depends on if you keep trying to modify to find a better time or something near the location you're in at the moment
Sure you can use G+ once every two hours for 2 seconds. Or you can use in every 10 minutes to modify times and get better results.

Of course @CaptainAmerica takes me literally when I said constantly. My whole point is WDW is pushing you to use your phone more so you'll likely see notifications.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom