Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

MagicHappens1971

Here’s where I have a lot of trouble with the new system. Take what I expect will eventually be the case for Tron as an example. I can pay $616 just to get into the park with a family of 4. Then, if I want to go on tron, I can choose to waste multiple hours of my day (effectively reducing the value of the ticket) or, I can fork over another $120ish so my family can go on a 60s ride.
Good thing is you won't have to do Tron standby, it will be on a Virtual Queue for at least the first six months of opening.

celluloid

Oh that totally sounds like something a vast majority of guests have to struggle with. Hopping in to the park to do one new attraction and that's it.

But many would be willing to start there.

Reduces freedom of choice.

What is common is choosing when you want to do a ride. You have people who don't want big coaster thrills or who are much shorter in Height requirement.

We always started our day in Frontierland to knock out splash and space. Everyone has their own priorities.

With VQ only you never know what part of the park you will be in, what ride you just got in line for or meal reservation you would miss when your boarding group is called.

Last edited:

jlhwdw

I have to laugh the pages and pages of folks complaining about the "greed" that is Disney charging for queue skipping.

Universal has been doing it for close to two decades. And it costs more. Cedar Fair and Six Flags parks will charge more per person for queue skipping than a ticket to get in. Cedar Point on a peak Saturday last year was $229 per person. $29 at WDW is a steal compared to that.

Call it greed. But it's a company (Disney, Universal, Cedar Fair, etc) selling/supplying a product the customers (guests) are asking for and paying for. It's just not something you agree with.

JD80

But many would be willing to start there.

Reduces freedom of choice.

What is common is choosing when you want to do a ride. You have people who don't want big coaster thrills or who are much shorter in Height requirement.

We always started our day in Frontierland to knock out splash and space. Everyone has their own priorities.

With VQ only you never know what part of the park you will be in, what ride you just got in line for or meal reservation you would miss when your boarding group is called.

What? You're just inventing problems.

First - it creates choice because now you can avoid a very long line and use that time to do other things. Without a virtual queue, I would assume those lines would creep up to 120+ minutes. I'm willing to bet that the lines almost never go over 60m because of the VQ.

I don't even know why you're bringing up height requirements or thrills. It's a new coaster of course it has those things. Do you often complain when rides have exciting elements or height requirements?

As far as where you are in the parks, you have an hour window to get there, a CM will also change it for you if you have a conflicting reservation, and if Cosmic Rewind is anything to go by, you can show up 5 hours later and they will still let you in without comment.

You're just creating problems.

JD80

I have to laugh the pages and pages of folks complaining about the "greed" that is Disney charging for queue skipping.

Universal has been doing it for close to two decades. And it costs more. Cedar Fair and Six Flags parks will charge more per person for queue skipping than a ticket to get in. Cedar Point on a peak Saturday last year was $229 per person. $29 at WDW is a steal compared to that.

Call it greed. But it's a company (Disney, Universal, Cedar Fair, etc) selling/supplying a product the customers (guests) are asking for and paying for. It's just not something you agree with.

Disney has been doing it at all their other parks too, but that's not the point.

Disney was providing this service for free for a long time.
Disney has been getting more and more expensive at an increasing pace.
Disney has been taking more and more things away that used to be part of the WDW vacation experience.
Disney has not been reinvesting the parks as demand rises.

It's greed because WDW is more profitable than ever while offering less and offering a substandard product compared to previous years.

Not to mention they can't seem to pay their front line employees more than the local Walmart.

celluloid

What? You're just inventing problems.

First - it creates choice because now you can avoid a very long line and use that time to do other things. Without a virtual queue, I would assume those lines would creep up to 120+ minutes. I'm willing to bet that the lines almost never go over 60m because of the VQ.

I don't even know why you're bringing up height requirements or thrills. It's a new coaster of course it has those things. Do you often complain when rides have exciting elements or height requirements?

As far as where you are in the parks, you have an hour window to get there, a CM will also change it for you if you have a conflicting reservation, and if Cosmic Rewind is anything to go by, you can show up 5 hours later and they will still let you in without comment.

You're just creating problems.
Go check out the MMRR DL discussion. We debunked all that.

So if you can show up five hour late and still get on the ride, it shows that the capacity could just be opened up to standby.

The same company that does not pay their cMs what their competition does without a fight, is not the company who created this to.give you a more.efficient day. You not seeing the problem does not mean others are inventing them.

If you open with and close with the same statement, it must be true. Kind of like rhyming a prophecy I guess.

celluloid

Not comparable as those get you to use on any of the attractions at the time of your choice, with a much reduced wait than Lightning Lane tends to offer.
It cost more but it is a better value for your time as the capacity at those parks and operations have grown superior.

Also, the top tier onsite hotel experience Universal is phenomanol. For about six hundred bucks a night you get the walk to front gate location or fun boat ride, and UNLIMITED Express for BOTH parks for EVERY member of your party that is able to stay in the room. No confusing app as a bonus. You get this from the moment you check in and the day of check out.

Universal even has their top tier annual pass include express after 4pm.

Genie Plus is not really a great value for most people. If it was, they would not have had to add the photos of the day to it as another incentive.

Last edited:

Drdcm

Disney has been doing it at all their other parks too, but that's not the point.

Disney was providing this service for free for a long time.
Disney has been getting more and more expensive at an increasing pace.
Disney has been taking more and more things away that used to be part of the WDW vacation experience.
Disney has not been reinvesting the parks as demand rises.

It's greed because WDW is more profitable than ever while offering less and offering a substandard product compared to previous years.

Not to mention they can't seem to pay their front line employees more than the local Walmart.
The DLP system worked well. You paid like 120$ and got to go on every included ride once. You didn’t spend money to gamble at what rides you might be able to do.

lightningtap347

Go wait on the line for FOTLK some afternoon and let me know if that changes your opinion.
You picked the absolute wrong attraction to attempt to sway me lol.

I worked there! If you use that as a fastpass or wait any more than five minutes in that queue you are actively wasting your time and money. You save absolutely no time using genie on that, and the theater has more than enough capacity to deal with everyone.

pdude81

I’ve never failed to get a seat for the next FotLK show, and I’m usually lining up <15 before showtime. That theatre is enormous.
Historically I've had the same experience. The last two trips I took with my family where I was actively checking (Last August and last Jersey week), the standby line was massive outside of the theater and you had to wait a minimum of one show to get in. It seems they've given quite a lot of capacity to G+ given that those slots were very easy to book and the lines outside are longer than I've ever seen.

pdude81

You picked the absolute wrong attraction to attempt to sway me lol.

I worked there! If you use that as a fastpass or wait any more than five minutes in that queue you are actively wasting your time and money. You save absolutely no time using genie on that, and the theater has more than enough capacity to deal with everyone.
You may be using the generic term for fastpass here, which I can't blame you for. If you're talking about actual FP+ as opposed to LL/G+, I think that experience is no longer relevant. I had the same experience up through Feb 2020 and always wandered into the show late, even on Easter break. What I'm saying here is that times have changed.

G+ is least useful for someone who is willing to rope drop DAK and stay there all day, but I disagree that you can't a good return on G+ there. However it become immensely useful if you are getting there later and/or park hopping somewhere else and want a relaxed evening. The best combination is actually early DAK and late Epcot, but I assume you were talking about a lack of value using at just one or the other.

Jrb1979

Historically I've had the same experience. The last two trips I took with my family where I was actively checking (Last August and last Jersey week), the standby line was massive outside of the theater and you had to wait a minimum of one show to get in. It seems they've given quite a lot of capacity to G+ given that those slots were very easy to book and the lines outside are longer than I've ever seen.
IMO that's another drawback of G+. Many are using it on attractions that guests never used it on before. It's the only way people will feel like they are getting their moneys worth. With FP+ most used their 3 they got and rarely used more.

lightningtap347

You may be using the generic term for fastpass here, which I can't blame you for. If you're talking about actual FP+ as opposed to LL/G+, I think that experience is no longer relevant. I had the same experience up through Feb 2020 and always wandered into the show late, even on Easter break. What I'm saying here is that times have changed.

G+ is least useful for someone who is willing to rope drop DAK and stay there all day, but I disagree that you can't a good return on G+ there. However it become immensely useful if you are getting there later and/or park hopping somewhere else and want a relaxed evening. The best combination is actually early DAK and late Epcot, but I assume you were talking about a lack of value using at just one or the other.
I still like using fastpass as it's a better term.

I know for a fact they did not change ratios for availability there, but during the summer afternoons during rain a lot of people use their gimme fastpass on the show as it's the only thing open.

It's perfectly fine that you find value at this park. I still think you picked the absolute worst example to show that, and when comparing the park to the other three it provides the least value.

Edit: I'm talking solely of single park value, yes.

Last edited:

pdude81

I still like using fastpass as it's a better term.

I know for a fact they did not change ratios for availability there, but during the summer afternoons during rain a lot of people use their gimme fastpass on the show as it's the only thing open.

It's perfectly fine that you find value at this park. I still think you picked the absolute worst example to show that, and when comparing the park to the other three it provides the least value.
100% agreed on the term fastpass. Renaming to "Lightning Lane" was an asinine decision meant to try to keep people from being confused or angry, but the system they came up with is confusing and made people angry anyway. When I go to UO people even refer to express pass as fastpass half the time.

Now for you it's (FOTLK) the worst example based on your priorities and how you tour. My point is that you said that you can't get value from this, but for me I can. Different strokes.

My touring style with G+ is vastly different than with FP+. I'm mush more spontaneous and I will pull that FOTLK pass at 31 minutes before the show if it works for my timing, and then I don't have to mess with those lines much at all. I gave that example because for me it's what saves me the most time. By the time the show even runs I'm done with half the park and thinking about whether I want to ride the Safari again, bypass the queue at Everest, or start stacking for later.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom