Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

TimeTrip

i did not read every response so sorry if this was answered before; if i get a LL return at 11am and at 1015am i see the line is short and i go on the ride, do i still have my LL pass to ride again or will they know i went on and cancel the LL pass? i know that is something we did with the paper fast passes. youd ride after your time and go right back on again.
There isn't "checking" of anything for the normal standby line, so they wouldn't take away the LL. If its a VQ ride, I wonder if they will cross check at reservation time. Maybe they'll let you get a BG and purchase an "individual attraction" reservation also.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

I think those days are long gone. I have seen Teacups with 60 Wait Times posted. The crowd levels have gotten so Massive this will never work. This is again all Disneys fault for not Reinvesting in the Parks. Especially WDW where they have the space!!!
Bringing back a lot of the non-ride things that have been cut over the years would be helpful, too.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
My understanding:

If you register for DAS the day you show up: No changes except that you can sign-up for an attraction using Genie/MDE and not have to go to the ride and get a return time (which is the current standby line length, e.g., 30 Minutes).

If you register ahead of time (at least 2 days in advance) then...
  • you can skip checking in with customer service when you arrive
  • the return times work as they normally do via app (see above)
  • AND... you get to pre-schedule 2 attractions per day by pre-registering.

After reading this it would seem as though if you choose to pre register you cannot obtain more the day of.
Or is that tsimply saying you cannot book 2 advance ones on the day of even though they just said you must book the advanced ones at least 2 days prior.

1629396956301.png

TimeTrip

The aggregate benefit of FastPass was that it pushed people towards attractions that might otherwise run partially empty. If Genie is effective in that regard, it should help overall wait times. This should be true of Genie's "smart itinerary" feature, regardless of G+/LL.
I always viewed this as a drawback. From a certain perspective.. yes they were "efficiently using their rides, and getting people to ride more rides". However, I think it was only a side effect of people just going to those rides *because* they filled out their 3 FPs with rides they would have passed on otherwise. Once FP+ was in full swing, I was super disappointed in the increase at rides like PoTC, HM, and small world. I'm hoping those settle back down with this new system.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
After reading this it would seem as though if you choose to pre register you cannot obtain more the day of.

View attachment 580855
I'm pretty sure that's poor wording on their part. The selections you cannot make on the day of your visit are the 2 pre-registered choices. You have to make them in advance, and not day-of. Then the rest of the day goes as DAS normally does, but thru the app.

jpinkc

Ok I do have a question my wife hit me with as she is trying to get her head around this Mess Also. Advance Dining Reservations (ADR'S) how are they going to be handled with this Mess?????

DisneyDodo

I always viewed this as a drawback. From a certain perspective.. yes they were "efficiently using their rides, and getting people to ride more rides". However, I think it was only a side effect of people just going to those rides *because* they filled out their 3 FPs with rides they would have passed on otherwise. Once FP+ was in full swing, I was super disappointed in the increase at rides like PoTC, HM, and small world. I'm hoping those settle back down with this new system.
The only time it would ever really make things more efficient to push people towards another attraction is if they would be filling empty seats. Otherwise, you're simply moving minutes of waiting time from one group of guests to another. These days, there are almost no rides that ever have empty seats (though most shows do), so there's almost no value to this redistribution of guests. Each of the three rides you mentioned, for example, will have at least some line for almost the entire day on most days.

TimeTrip

The only time it would ever really make things more efficient to push people towards another attraction is if they would be filling empty seats. Otherwise, you're simply moving minutes of waiting time from one group of guests to another. These days, there are almost no rides that ever have empty seats (though most shows do), so there's almost no value to this redistribution of guests. Each of the three rides you mentioned, for example, will have at least some line for almost the entire day on most days.
I totally agree. At the time fp+ was intro0'ed I think there were times where those rides would have empty seats, probably at the beginning and end of the day. Then with fp+ those edges got thinner and standby wait times got longer mid day. I'm hoping it adjusts back towards pre-fp+ usage.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

I always find it hilarious that discrimination can never involve money.

I mean, I am sure it can if you are targeting a specific group and charging them more.

But I mean, you then get down a slippery slope of what can a company charge for their product… is a restaurant raising their prices discrimination?

Maybe my perspective is different as I live in a country with no Disney Parks, but for me it’s always been an expensive luxury.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Honest question - How in the blue hell can people think/post "standby lines could be shorter with this" when there won't be fewer people visiting the parks? 40k people in MK is still 40k people in MK, it doesn't matter what kind of pay-to-maybe-skip-some-of-the-line system $lappie approves.

It was mentioned elsewhere - $lappie showed his cards when he called guests "consumers". That's all we are to Disney these days - a revenue source. They couldn't care less if we're unhappy, they truly believe there is an inexhaustible supply of guests waiting to fork over big $$$.

DCLcruiser

I really hope they make Living with the Land an Individual Attraction for $$$$$$. That ride is always packed, which I never understand. After a few months they will be able to afford the full EPCOT renovation.

fngoofy

If you think WDW is luxury, I've got a bridge to sell you.
Personally, I strongly disagree with your statement.
Family and I have been fortunate enough to go to a good number of destinations and WDW is consistently at the top of the list (and when you factor in size and scope it is head and shoulders number 1.)

The closest Disney level of service/luxury we've had was the Ritz on Maui or the Hyatt on Kauai.
We just did Colorado Springs this summer, "4 Star Windham Resort" was a mess. Numerous times we've been somewhere other than WDW and experienced something that just made us shake our heads and say "how hard can it be? WDW is able to provide "X" with no problem and on a greater scale."

As for what I just learned about Genie(+) and Lighting Lane(+)?
Sounds like the best this could have been.
I liked the paper "day of" FP system over the FP+ "plan in advance" digital system.
So to me (for our family) $45/day ($315 for the week) to have the old FP "day of" access AND an AI scheduling assistant, all wrapped up in my phone for $15/day is a deal.

As for the pay for Lightning+ for Space Mountain and Rise of the Resistance level of rides?
We'll see.
If I have the option of hitting Space for free early in the morning OR buying access later for $6 a head.... sure. If I can go into DHS and try and get a good boarding group and if I don't, drop $24 a head.... not great, but at least it's my call and if it's important to us then we'll do it.

Frankly some (but not all) of this cost will be met by a redistribution of our spending from what we might have done (drinks at Disney Springs, etc.)
I will be mixing more drinks back at our room to walk around the resort with as opposed to grabbing one at the resort bar.
That's ok, I mix a better drink anyway.
As for the rest of the cost?
I'm going to WDW, I know this isn't a bargain vacation. It's like going to NY City and being shocked (shocked I say) that Broadway Tickets are more than a $100 a piece or that a steak dinner before the show is $200 for 2 people... it just is and I know the costs up front.

TimeTrip

Honest question - How in the blue hell can people think/post "standby lines could be shorter with this" when there won't be fewer people visiting the parks? 40k people in MK is still 40k people in MK, it doesn't matter what kind of pay-to-maybe-skip-some-of-the-line system $lappie approves.
When I said that.. I did mean "standby wait times" versus pre fp+. If all the previous resort 60 day advance reservation warriors with 4+ fp a day, or the casual 3 fp user only intends to spend a set amount of hours in the park, maybe now they will ride fewer rides. That would still count towards the attendance number, but would mean lower waits overall. Assuming there are a significant amount of folks that tour that way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom