Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

trainplane3

Yes the amount of knowledge that is needed to successfully navigate a WDW vacation is mind blowing.
I have a friend and a relative of theirs coming down with me simply because when we reviewed how WDW works now, they said "screw it, we'll just arrive the same day and stay an extra since you know the parks".
Easy enough trip for them at least. One doesn't like thrill rides and the other has no expectations on what they will actually ride.
90% of the reason they changed the program (and name) was not because the old system didn't work well (though they did want to remove the pre-planning aspect) - but it was because they wanted to make something that looked, sounded and felt different enough from the free version so that guests couldn't complain that they are paying for something that used to be free.
Too bad everyone still does. /s
Those two same people both said "But that used to be free? Why does it cost money now?".

Ldno

I agree with that, but making it worse is not a good direction. We are mostly experts here at Disney planning, many are not.
So, I knew the old school fastpass system 1.0 and the maxpass, i could ride 3-4 rides in between two fastpass/maxpass reservations, this would be my first trip with Genie + but my understanding is that I could similarly do the same, would that be case with Genie +?

Maxpass and the old school fastpass used to sell out as the day went along but sometimes it was possible to ride the same ride twice at differents times of the day, but I liked to wait in queue between a ride return’s time and by that time I could snag another fast pass, I’m concerned I won’t be able to do this with Genie + so I’m trying to see what I could get away with this time. Thanks

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Well, since nobody will be able to book prior to arriving anymore, it's kind of a moot point.
very true but there was never a "limit" so i didnt care that i had to purchase for my mom... now i run the risk of having genie for me and my daughter and not my mom... then what?

nickys

Premium Member
I should reiterate, they too believe that Guardians opening at EPCOT will help alleviate Genie+ substantially at the other parks (since you need to have an EPCOT Park Pass to either purchase ILL or join a VQ).
Are you sure? That would mean they’re changing how ILLs work. You don’t currently need a park reservation to book an ILL. The onus is on the guest to ensure they have a park hopper ticket or an AP.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
flex-tape.gif

How Disney thinks they fix problems

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm not saying that they couldn't increase the price for new activations. I'm saying that they are determined to not do that for the current product. As for the 2023 product goes, I would imagine it would increase.
What I’m saying is a limit will require variable price increases. By default.

They don’t like a line in town square giving out refunds?
Well how about one for sold out/unavailable complaints when they are limited?

The numbers are whacked…it’s gonna happen a lot.

They’re just shifting the problem here.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member

Exactly. Solving a problem and then creating 2

Disney Glimpses

Got it. Agreed they are shifting the problem but there is a huge difference in someone paying $500-600 for their family to use Genie+ for the week (or even $75 for the day) and having a poor experience vs. the family not having access at all. Neither are ideal but the the former scenario is significantly worse.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
I still am perplexed how inventory for a paid FP service is worse than when it was free - even as an AP arriving on a random day. I just don't get it.
Maybe for the combo of both: Tiers and a common mentality that you may just get 1 high demand choice that day, enough people willing to accept not getting their first choice because it wasn’t booked 62+ days out.

Most of the WDW fan community that loved FP+ were able to work the system, that’s why they loved and miss it. That’s probably different from average visitors.

Now with Genie+ everybody is trying harder and expecting to be able to optimize it because they paid for it.

Thepuma

It won't be available to all. It will sell out.
Which will upset EVEN MORE customers...wow, can Disney get any worse.

Imagine booking a holiday to Florida for the first time with your kids. You turn up at the gate at MK to be told you need a reservation and they've all sold out...so, you cut your losses and go to Sea World and book a Hollywood Studios reservation for the next day....you get to HS and see all the advertising for this amazing Genie+ to make your day better....only to go to buy it and find its sold out!!!....BUT.....dont worry you can spend your time eating for 3 times the price of food elsewhere , while queueing half hour four the privelege or trying to go to a restaurant to find they have no tables as you have to reserve 30 days in advance....oh...and buy some $30 plastic ears that cost $1 to make.

I genuinely feel sorry for any newcomers to Disney World....it must be a horrible experience.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Got it. Agreed they are shifting the problem but there is a huge difference in someone paying $500-600 for their family to use Genie+ for the week (or even $75 for the day) and having a poor experience vs. the family not having access at all. Neither are ideal but the the former scenario is significantly worse.
I’m not a Disney suit wearing expert here…but maybe they should have thought about that before designing and implementing it?

mmascari

Different lines with different impacts.

Buy a product and you don't get anything. You're in line and they give you a refund. It's an expensive interaction.
It's sold out, and you can do the entire trip without it (just not as nice). You can wait in line to complain, there's nothing to refund though.

I've never heard of people lining up to complain they cannot buy a VIP tour because its sold out day of. Does that happen? Do they get "refunds" of something? Do they just get a pat on the head and told to go on their way?

What about trying to buy a cupcake party and it's sold out already? Can you get refund for not being able to buy that?

Thepuma

It will be tiered:
Deluxe and DVC available at midnight
Moderate at 2am
Value at 4 am
AP 7am
Offsite noon
Imagine paying all that money to go to an average hotel -but putting up with it because its labelled Disney and you get perks...only to be told they've got to set an alarm for 2am to buy Genie +

Even worse for those who are staying in the Disney Motels ....getting up at 4am!!!!

WOW......but I'll give it to you, this is exactly the kind of thing the present Disney board would sanction...they are THAT inept at their jobs

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom