Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Chip Chipperson

According to Disney, a Savannah view villa is starting at 29 a night. That would be 145 points. You got OKW for 6 points a night, when they start at 21? Good deal.

Of course, DVC only makes sense if you are the type that thinks the rooms are worth what Disney says they are. I'd have to be a multi-millionaire to start thinking a "Savannah" view of some giraffes and other benign animals is worth $800 a night. OKW at $400 a night is just perposterous.

Do I wish I'd bought Beach Club points back in the early 2000s? Sure do, but I also wish I'd have put all my money in Apple after Jobs died.

We had points left from last year that we banked to use this year. Most years, we book at least 1 of our stays in a DVC studio rather than doing all Villas. Thanks to the pandemic forcing us to cancel a planned Fall 2020 trip, we had some points to play with. Even if you double up on the dues for 2 years to make the comparison, we're talking around $2,300 in dues vs. approximately $5,900 + tax.

Whether or not you think the rooms are worth what they charge is a subjective matter - but if you like staying there and think the rack rate (or even the discounted cash rate) is too high, then DVC is a good option because you will pay less over time to stay in the rooms you enjoy but think are overpriced.

Edit to Add: And that $5,900 isn't even getting you a comparable room at AKL since the price I quoted was for a studio and I booked a 1-bedroom Villa. A full kitchen, wash/dryer, spa tub, large dining table, and a full living room separate from the bedroom for less money than a studio? Yeah, I'll take the 1-bedroom Villa any chance I get.

Patcheslee

I think we need to just disagree…

look at the natural growth of crowd to Orlando for the last 50 years…you’ll notice that it has risen at a near steady rate except when there is a national/global economic recession.

you’re quoting stats that prove what I told you…it has nothing to do with runaway railway opening.

I know you’re passionate about this…but you can’t make a case that people are booking extra trips SPECIFICALLY for new rides…which is the stance…with such disjointed and generalized “proof”

here’s my stance - to avoid confusion - the cost of a trip has risen so much above means/inflation that is is no longer practical for people to make unplanned trips…

if vacation club or Florida residents show for a new ride…it doesn’t matter. They were going to show soon anyway.

but a standard family of four in Ohio isn’t “adding” a trip to ride tron…they’re coming or not…not much would change
We just happened to have a trip for a week after FoP opened, it wasn't the reason we went. The only thing it changed was our plans for AK day. Most recent trip had hopes for Space 220 restaurant but not a requirement. And missed Galaxy Edge opening by 2 months as our most recent visit. At this point it seems more financially reasonable for us to put off visiting again until a few of the current rides under construction have opened. Tron is my peak interest, but if not for other rides I haven't been on, it alone wouldn't be worth a trip. One of the biggest annoyances for me is we still haven't gotten to ride the full circuit on the MK train since we first visited.

pdude81

Let me guess: “I’m not dumb enough to buy that?”

right?

you read the point chart wrong. You’re quoting points for a 1 bedroom…me thinks
I believe the person he's quoting said he had 5 nights in Savannah 1BR and 5 nights in OKW 1BR with points left over and owns 175. Unless he forgot to mention that it took 2 use years worth of points to accomplish this.

DisneyDreamer08

Do we know yet if you can get multiple LL for the same ride? Like can I ride Haunted Mansion twice in a row with LL if I wanted to?
Also do we know how long the return window is?

Chip Chipperson

I believe the person he's quoting said he had 5 nights in Savannah 1BR and 5 nights in OKW 1BR with points left over and owns 175. Unless he forgot to mention that it took 2 use years worth of points to accomplish this.

Yes, I realized afterwards that I forgot to say that I had some points banked from the prior Use Year. The 2 trips took 291 points and we had more left over to bank for next year. The math still favors using DVC points for a room over cash, though. We paid around $2,300 in dues spread over 2 years and would have spent over $6,000 after taxes to get the same OKW room and an inferior AKL room.

MickeyLuv'r

Do we know yet if you can get multiple LL for the same ride? Like can I ride Haunted Mansion twice in a row with LL if I wanted to?
Also do we know how long the return window is?
That would be a nice option (for those who buy it).

Somehow I don't think that will happen, at least not back to back riding the same attraction. (IMO, odds are higher they might let you get HM once in the AM and once in the PM hours.)

With WDW's prior paid FP option (the quietly offered CL 3 paid FP), there were no tiers, but also no double booking. I mean, AK, Epcot, and HS don't really even have 6 good FP, or didn't at the time. So the only way they were going to sell any was if people could book both FoP and the Safari, but it was still a limit of no doubles, and only one FP per hour.

Last edited:

runnsally

That would be a nice option (for those who buy it).

Somehow I don't think that will happen, at least not back to back riding the same attraction. (IMO, odds are higher they might let you get HM once in the AM and once in the PM hours.)
I’d wager you’ll be able to book whatever genie+ ride is available at a given time including repeat rides the same day.

MickeyLuv'r

I’d wager you’ll be able to book whatever genie+ ride is available at a given time including repeat rides the same day.
Maybe two rides on Dumbo? and Philarmagic! You'll get bonus passes for Philarmagic, for certain.

I see Genie popping up again and again to ask if you want to see Philarmagic.

I'm far less optimistic you'll be able to ride Tron twice in a row in the first 6months it is open.

Patcheslee

Maybe two rides on Dumbo? and Philarmagic! You'll get bonus passes for Philarmagic, for certain.

I'm far less optimistic you'll be able to ride Tron twice in a row in the first 6months it is open.
If it's also supposed to suggest nearby attractions, I see Hall of Presidents and Liberty Boat being recommended when around HM to distract someone from more LL bookings.

nickys

Premium Member

I’m certain Tron will use boarding groups and the $$$ option just like Rise, and for at least a year. So no standby or Genie+ option.

KrzyKtty

I’m certain Tron will use boarding groups and the $$$ option just like Rise, and for at least a year. So no standby or Genie+ option.
I'm sure you're right, but I still think it would be a poor decision on the parks part. It seems like boarding groups should be for those rides that do not move people quickly through them. Or the ones with technical complications. Tron is a roller coaster. A fun roller coaster, but still a roller coaster. They traditionally move people through pretty quickly. I'm not sure I get the point in using boarding passes on this one. 🤷

nickys

Premium Member
I'm sure you're right, but I still think it would be a poor decision on the parks part. It seems like boarding groups should be for those rides that do not move people quickly through them. Or the ones with technical complications. Tron is a roller coaster. A fun roller coaster, but still a roller coaster. They traditionally move people through pretty quickly. I'm not sure I get the point in using boarding passes on this one. 🤷
I think they’ll use BGs for the shiny new rides going forward.
Using BGs on Tron makes more sense than using them on the Remy ride.

KrzyKtty

I think they’ll use BGs for the shiny new rides going forward.
Using BGs on Tron makes more sense than using them on the Remy ride.
I honestly don't know that much about the Remy ride but I figured the tracklist technology might mean the ride will break down often enough due to technical difficulties that the boarding passes made sense. Kind of like RotR.

nickys

Premium Member
I honestly don't know that much about the Remy ride but I figured the tracklist technology might mean the ride will break down often enough due to technical difficulties that the boarding passes made sense. Kind of like RotR.
I know there was a breakdown during previews, but the ride is a clone of the one at DLP that’s been running for 7 years. Haven’t heard that it’s unreliable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom