Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

UNCgolf

Expedition Everest is a bad example, because it is first and foremost a thrill ride. You could take that coaster and dress it up as anything and it would still be considered a good ride. Outer Space? An Abandoned Mine? Aerosmith? Dinosaurs? Ugly Shark Things? The theme of the ride isn't really integral to the success of the experience when it leans so much on thrills.

Only to some people. The theming is the only reason I care about riding Expedition Everest; if it was an unthemed coaster (or one with much less theming) I'd never ride it.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Both are clones - just 'improved' and adapted to the different environments. At the end of the day, it's intended to be the same end-product, even if the execution differs.
1631119395610.png

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I think you meant MCP. 😏

Although, just to add more nitpicking, the lightcycle design used for the Tron coaster ride vehicles is from "Legacy," so the MCP wouldn't have been around any more. That doesn't change your point about making it properly Tron-themed, though; as I said, just being nitpicky.
Maybe they're going for a crossover event... The Watcher merges with the MCP and you get the MCU...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But it would have been so easy to change the light patterns to actually MATCH the damn movie. And add the MCU and a Recognizer or two. Almost zero cost increase, but it would have made it a true TRON themed ride.

I just never thought I'd see the day when they would literally plop a coaster in a box 20 feet away from the original coaster in a box.
They still can’t use 90% of the usual MCU…

people gloss over this constantly…but they can’t throw anything out there. It’s a miracle guardians is popular enough to use on it own.

you know how I know? Because people didn’t want “any old Star Wars” with any faces. They didn’t want it in 1999 and they didn’t want it in 2015.

what’s popular now? Boba fett and a mini yoda…

welcome to 1980.

disney needs to stop over complicating/paddling upstream on this.

know what you know.

marvel all over wdw can’t work in the current terms

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The whole reason TRON was dropped into the park is because the need for capacity had been pushed too far.

The Magic Kingdom is the park at Walt Disney World with the best capacity. It is the one that most follows conventions. It’s also the one that is also full of non-franchise rides that continue to draw that big audience.
So making the problem worse by adding a draw to the biggest park at the expense of the little brothers is a good idea?
sounds like chapek 🤪

This should be the model for every single trip 'report'. 😂
If I believed in such things
So you think Tron is going to fix the crowding issues at MK?
Nope…make it worse
Still…tron isn’t gonna do a thing other than collect fees

havoc315

I don’t know…they are opening a new ride in 3 weeks that is not based upon a particularly-relevant IP. And I think they just made a perfectly-acceptable update to Jungle Cruise that respects the original concept.

And TRON isn’t terribly relevant, even if they are making a 3rd movie.

When they announced the Tron coaster.... I was a bit bewildered. Nobody really associates Tron with traditional or classic Disney. And nobody under about 50 years of age really even is familiar with Tron. (not exactly a Star Wars level classic, and the sequel, at best, was a modest lukewarm success 10 years ago). I'm willing to bet a lot of the people who get on the ride won't even know it's from a movie.

dreday3

When they announced the Tron coaster.... I was a bit bewildered. Nobody really associates Tron with traditional or classic Disney. And nobody under about 50 years of age really even is familiar with Tron. (not exactly a Star Wars level classic, and the sequel, at best, was a modest lukewarm success 10 years ago). I'm willing to bet a lot of the people who get on the ride won't even know it's from a movie.

Original Tron is a classic.
Many people under 50 have seen Tron and it has it's own weird cult following.

A lot of people will be able to associate the ride with Tron. Heck, everyone was calling the Test Track makeover Tron.

does it belong in MK? I don't know, but that's where it's going...

CaptainAmerica

They still can’t use 90% of the usual MCU…

people gloss over this constantly…but they can’t throw anything out there. It’s a miracle guardians is popular enough to use on it own.

you know how I know? Because people didn’t want “any old Star Wars” with any faces. They didn’t want it in 1999 and they didn’t want it in 2015.

what’s popular now? Boba fett and a mini yoda…

welcome to 1980.

disney needs to stop over complicating/paddling upstream on this.

know what you know.

marvel all over wdw can’t work in the current terms
Agree with all of this, but I'll also add that I don't think Marvel is doing Universal many favors either. It's such a brutal juxtaposition when you have WWoHP, which looks like a Joe Rohde-J.K. Rowling mashup, sharing a park with Marvel Super Hero Island, which looks like a crappy regional Six Flags.

So making the problem worse by adding a draw to the biggest park at the expense of the little brothers is a good idea?
sounds like chapek 🤪

If I believed in such things

Nope…make it worse

Still…tron isn’t gonna do a thing other than collect fees
💯

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Tron is a cult classic for Gen X

so if you relate…you relate…

if you’re younger…the world offers more balls of string to chase

Wendy Pleakley

The beauty of something like a TRON coaster, from what I've glimpsed of it, is that it works regardless of one's awareness of the films.

If you've never seen TRON it's still a cool futuristic themed coaster. If you have a connection to TRON, all the better.

There are rides based on movies many people aren't super familiar with. Mr. Toad in Disneyland for example.

CaptainAmerica

Tron is a cult classics for Gen X

so if you relate…you relate…

if you’re younger…the world offers more balls of string to chase
TRON is good IP fodder for a theme park attraction. It won't draw BECAUSE it's TRON, it'll draw because it's a fun ride. See also: Splash Mountain, Flight of Passage.

Hell, see what Taylor Kitsch is up to these days and make a John Carter ride.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agree with all of this, but I'll also add that I don't think Marvel is doing Universal many favors either. It's such a brutal juxtaposition when you have WWoHP, which looks like a Joe Rohde-J.K. Rowling mashup, sharing a park with Marvel Super Hero Island, which looks like a crappy regional Six Flags.

oh I agree…it’s bad on both sides. “Super hero island” looks dated and is locked in time…

…but I get the feeling both sides are screwed and both sides don’t want any changes…for different reasons.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The beauty of something like a TRON coaster, from what I've glimpsed of it, is that it works regardless of one's awareness of the films.

If you've never seen TRON it's still a cool futuristic themed coaster. If you have a connection to TRON, all the better.

There are rides based on movies many people aren't super familiar with. Mr. Toad in Disneyland for example.
That’s why it works…it’s not directly dependent on IP. It’s a cool, fast, light up ride in a velodrome kinda canopy.

rockinroller coaster isn’t Aerosmith dependent…it just had Aerosmith on it.

havoc315

Original Tron is a classic.
Many people under 50 have seen Tron and it has it's own weird cult following.
By definition, a "cult following" is a small, quirky, dedicated following. Not a mass mainstream following.
Definition of a cult following from wikipedia:
"A film, book, musical artist, television series, or video game, among other things, is said to have a cult following when it has a small, but very passionate fanbase."

Yes, lots of people have seen it... like lots of people have seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Spinal Tap, Mystery Science Theater, Twin Peaks, and Babylon 5 --- But a small minority of WDW guests.

dreday3

By definition, a "cult following" is a small, quirky, dedicated following. Not a mass mainstream following.
Definition of a cult following from wikipedia:
"A film, book, musical artist, television series, or video game, among other things, is said to have a cult following when it has a small, but very passionate fanbase."

Yes, lots of people have seen it... like lots of people have seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Spinal Tap, Mystery Science Theater, Twin Peaks, and Babylon 5 --- But a small minority of WDW guests.

I think you are underestimating how many people know of Tron and will understand where the ride is from.

And Spinal Tap...it's not just a cult classic, it's a CLASSIC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom