Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

nickys

Premium Member
See here:

When can international guests purchase Lightning Lanes?

They can purchase Lightning Lane passes and make selections upon arrival into the United States.

As for the why of this, it’s probably not because Walt Disney World hates international guests. Although it might seem that way on this one particular issue, Walt Disney World actually loves guests from outside the United States. They’re more of a captive audience, have higher per guest spending metrics, and typically do longer stays. This is why we routinely refer to British guests as Walt Disney World’s “whales” (non-derogatory).

Walt Disney World has not offered an official explanation (and probably never will), but our best guess is that it’s a matter of law. I don’t know what law, but there are a lot of laws in the EU and elsewhere with which US companies do not want to comply, so the “solution” is simply not offering access in those markets.

That’s probably an unsatisfying explanation, but it’s likely the reason why. This means there probably won’t be resolution to this problem in the weeks and months to come, as it’s deliberate rather than accidental. With that said, this also means that Walt Disney World probably doesn’t care if you use VPNs and other techniques to side step this “rule.” (Not that we’re endorsing rule-breaking…but we aren’t not endorsing it here, either.)

Sorry, I’m not accepting Disney Tourist Blog as a legit source for this.

Others, including this site have said otherwise.

That said it is possible it’s true. The “enchanted extras” like tours etc need either a vpn or to be booked by phone.

It would be awful if it is true.

Saskdw

Except that G+ was actually better than both FP+ and this likely this new system for most people. Folks just didn't like the 7am part or bought into the online griping without actually trying it.

Functionality wise and in terms of ride access G+ ran circles around FP+ for your standard guest.
7am was part of it.

But a big red flag for us was booking a $15k vacation and have no guarantees we would get to ride the headliners. With FP+ we knew we had all the headliners booked 60 days before we left home.

Jrb1979

What they are hoping is this will fill their resorts and it creates a better experience for the guests staying at their resorts.

If you choose to stay elsewhere and your experience isn't as good that's too bad? It's really the way it should be isn't it?

It also gives them more options for " deals and discounts" which will be greatly needed when Epic Universe opens. They will need free dining, free LL and 40% discounts to draw people there when there is a superior park up the street.
I don't see this moving the needle much at all.

Yay if I stay on site I can pay an extra $800 for my family to book rides early.

UK Disney

They don’t *have* to do everything. I’d bet that most international guests aren’t exactly LL power users. Even back in the free fastpass days a lot of international guests had no idea that fastpass was even a thing and they just waited in standby lines. They are probably betting that their average first time international visitor won’t even notice this.
You may be right for first-time visitors, but this could be a deal breaker for many of us who have used Genie or FP in the past.

Dranth

7am was part of it.

But a big red flag for us was booking a $15k vacation and have no guarantees we would get to ride the headliners. With FP+ we knew we had all the headliners booked 60 days before we left home.
Statements like this are exactly why I think people didn't understand or even try to use G+.

More people had more chances and a better overall chance at the headliners with G+ than FP+, not less.

They did need to change the 7am thing but that could have done that without reverting back to 3 selections with tiers.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Sorry, I’m not accepting Disney Tourist Blog as a legit source for this.

Others, including this site have said otherwise.

That said it is possible it’s true. The “enchanted extras” like tours etc need either a vpn or to be booked by phone.

It would be awful if it is true.
I have spoken to WDW Comms team and I will have a news item about this shortly.

Jrb1979

They must think it will move the needle if they are doing it.

I think this is the first of a few changes.
They thought free dining was going to move the needle too and from what's been said it hasn't.

@PREMiERdrum said it's looking to be one of their worst Independence Day weekends occupancy wise in years.

IMO discounts, bringing back FP+ isn't what's needed. The parks need new attractions if they want to see people come.

Saskdw

Statements like this are exactly why I think people didn't understand or even try to use G+.

More people had more chances and a better overall chance at the headliners with G+ than FP+, not less.

They did need to change the 7am thing but that could have done that without reverting back to 3 selections with tiers.
We weren't willing to book a vacation based on "a chance". We chose to spend our money elsewhere.

We go for 2 full weeks and rarely spend more than 4 hours a day in the parks. G+ was not a usefull tool for us.

Saskdw

They thought free dining was going to move the needle too and from what's been said it hasn't.

@PREMiERdrum said it's looking to be one of their worst Independence Day weekends occupancy wise in years.

IMO discounts, bringing back FP+ isn't what's needed. The parks need new attractions if they want to see people come.
That is because they are offering free QS dining. They need to go back to the full free dining for Moderate resort guests.

There isn't enough value in QS dining. Especially for those staying a week or two.

RSoxNo1

That’s exactly how FP+ worked if I’m remembering correct. APs with no resort stay got 30 days and no length of stay vs the resort guests with 60 days plus ticket length/length of stay. 30 days for sure, I’m hazy if there was some sort of length of stay but I don’t think there was.
I believe you're correct but by changing it to 3 days out, you're likely guaranteeing that the person will be having to do the 7 am thing on vacation.

JD80

A few years ago they changed the formula for multi-day ticket discounts.

1719414831527.png

Did some quick math.

Attachments

• 1719414651486.png
    1719414651486.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 16

RSoxNo1

Disney was pressured into giving up the park reservation system, which was a huge benefit to them as they could see exactly where people were going to be ahead of time.

Disney has found a new way of having the reservation system, without people realizing they are using a reservation system!

The new system is great for Disney. It gives them so much more data on upcoming park days for staffing etc. The same data they lost when they scrapped the reservations.
I mean that's all Fastpass+ was. Next Gen didn't give them enough useful data so they basically forced the solicitation of information.

RSoxNo1

The people who stay on property and get the 7 day advantage will be the people who are most happy with this. So Disney chose to prioritize them over locals with APs, day visitors and people staying off site. Probably makes sense for them from a business prospective. Universal gives Express Pass to anyone staying at a deluxe resort. At least Disney extended the benefit to all levels of resorts. Doesn’t help those not staying at a Disney resort but imagine if the 7 day advance reservation was only for Disney deluxe resorts. People would riot.

They don't make much money off most of them compared to vacationers spending a week or two in their resorts.

I’m not sure how much they mind inconveniencing APs who aren’t giving them resort stay money.

Unfavorable attendance mix.

My preferred system was still MaxPass at DL, no 7am, no prebooking, just the same system as paper FP but on the app. The 7am thing is the worst of all systems though, I don't want to be up that early on holiday/vacation!

Agreed. Disneyland's system is still the cleanest. That being said, as much as I hate advanced bookings there are things here that I do like. Multiple rolling Lightning Lanes are a good thing. The problem(s) are that they haven't built the parks up enough to justify 3 advanced bookings. The tiers are 100% an admission of that. If they had said one advanced booking, one day of booking, both rolling with the 120 minute rule still in place, that would be ideal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom