Disney, Forums and Technology

WED Purist

Original Poster
In your opinion, is it better for fans to have instant access to the minutiae of park happenings? Is it better to stop by several times a day to catch the latest rumor or update, whether true or not; versus waiting until things are done and opened to the public, with the few media updates? Just curious.

Florida_is_hot

Some people I am sure check in several times a day, some once.
I personally usually visit once, unless I am online and not too busy then I may drop in a few times.

I count everything here as rumor or hearsay until is built.

Cmdr_Crimson

It was much more exciting when the Easter or Christmas parade came on because it was the only other time before Disney Channel to find out what is new for the Parks..

bethymouse

I like chatting about what may or may not be happening at the world!;) The people on these forums are wonderful (mostly) and I value their expert opinion (mostly).;) It is nice to be alerted as to what future projects could possibly be in store for WDW. Let the chatting continue...:D

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
how else and where else would I widdle away countless hours of my day?

I get what you're asking and I guess maybe it takes the joy out of showing up and being wowed by something new..
but there is also added joy in contemplating, discussing (and sometimes arguing) about what may or may not be coming around the bend.

the argument about "is technology bad" has two very valid sides to it, can be applied to just about anything today and can be argued endlessly - for me I like coming here and chit chatting with you lot and contemplating the past, present and future of WDW.

So in this case Technology + WDW = good.

Jimmy Thick

The bad thing about current technology surrounding the parks is that people keep making absurd statements about "back in the day"... Back in the day, the parks did not have instant access to pictures of chipped paint, blown bulbs, etc, even though chances are they were there, but no one noticed because it was not drawn to their attention due to the fact there are people who dedicate themselves to looking for such blemishes, people were just enjoying themselves and their vacation.

If there was no internet with people posting that crap, people would not care. They would only care about planning their next vacation.

Jimmy Thick- Truth hurts.

Beholder

I also agree that the technology has allowed us to focus on the blemishes and faults, both real and imagined. I don't know if that's ultimately good or bad, but I do like the communal speculation and "what if's". However, it would be nice to think that any shortcomings or less than desirable elements won't so be easy to hide or brush off. Yes, the technology is a double edged sword, but for everyone. Good or bad.

Tim_4

I count everything here as rumor or hearsay until is built.
I think around here this problem is actually created by too much information. Granted, some people make things up just to get attention, but there's a lot of legitimate information that gets communicated in this forum that sometimes just doesn't play out. If there is a rumor that XYZ is being considered as a new attraction, whispers explode into "OMGWTFBBQ XYZ IS COMING!!!!" Then, XYZ doesn't end up happening and everyone blames QUOTE the bean counters at TDO END QUOTE for being cheap. The fact is, XYZ was never actually happening. It was discussed inside the company. An insider reported the DISCUSSION. Fanboys blew the "discussion" into a "greenlight".

To many people pretend they are insiders with inside information about the parks when most of the time I think they are getting their information from a sock puppet on their right hand. The sock puppet on the left hand confirms the information on the right hand.

Bob Saget

To many people pretend they are insiders with inside information about the parks
Amen!! This drives me crazy. And it is so obvious they're full of it due to the vagueness of their claims: "Something big is coming to WDW soon! It may or may not come through, however." That one from awhile back was one of my favorites. Really, Captain Obvious? Anyone from the youngest WDW guest to a DTD pigeon could've made that prophecy.

Let me take a stab at being an insider just for once:
There is something big planned for DHS. It could be announced tomorrow, at the next D23 expo, or another unspecified time. This new attraction/land/show could be Pixar-related or not. I cannot say anything more right now, but there is something new coming at some point!

My advice: just enjoy the show. Let these "insiders" spill their completely vague, substanceless prophecies of what Disney has in store next. (It strokes their ego, gives them purpose, and is also funny as hell when Disney does announce something...but it's a complete opposite of what "their sources" told them.)

P.s. Disney has plans to add a new thing for Epcot!! It may be as grand & extraordinary as the concept suggests, or it may be scaled back some or scrapped alltogether. But there ARE plans.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Amen!! This drives me crazy. And it is so obvious they're full of it due to the vagueness of their claims: "Something big is coming to WDW soon! It may or may not come through, however." That one from awhile back was one of my favorites. Really, Captain Obvious? Anyone from the youngest WDW guest to a DTD pigeon could've made that prophecy.

Let me take a stab at being an insider just for once:
There is something big planned for DHS. It could be announced tomorrow, at the next D23 expo, or another unspecified time. This new attraction/land/show could be Pixar-related or not. I cannot say anything more right now, but there is something new coming at some point!

My advice: just enjoy the show. Let these "insiders" spill their completely vague, substanceless prophecies of what Disney has in store next. (It strokes their ego, gives them purpose, and is also funny as hell when Disney does announce something...but it's a complete opposite of what "their sources" told them.
But if they were vague enough they can always then say "see...I told you told so".

bhg469

For someone like me I like having the information available to me instantly. I am one of the few people here that doesn't care about characters, meet and greets, movie tie ins, or absurd disney trivia. I love technology and I have ever since my first visit as a kid that was into gadgets and tech. I love haunted mansion and it is often my first ride but I always think with modern technology the ride could improve infinitely. Lately though they have a hard time keeping up.

A prime example is sorcerers of the magic kingdom. Xbox and playstation both have technology that beats it. Meanwhile the Kim possible attraction, now that platypus thing, was amazing and well themed. It incorporates some great tech and loved every second of it. It was made years before sorcerers but is much better made.

I do somewhat regret knowing what is happening at the parks because I do like to be surprised. The Fantasy Land expansion was neat to see in person since I had seen the pictures but the size is staggering in person when compared to what used to be there.

I guess forums and technology is a love/hate for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom