Disney forcing us to $pend even more at their re$ort$

What is the most outrageous of the outrageous price gouging that Disney is currently engaged in?

• Converting the FREE Fast Pass system to the PAID Genie+ with less benefits

• Increasing Annual Pass prices while slashing the benefits

• Eliminating FREE parking at the resorts and charging a per night fee

• Raising resort room rates dramatically and forcing guests to book a minimum of 2 nights

• Charging $5,000+ for the Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser experience

• Eliminating FREE Magic Bands for resort guests and charging for them instead

• ALL OF THE ABOVE!

Results are only viewable after voting.

giantgolfer

To be clear, this effort to squeeze guests for every penny has been happening for a very long time, as evidenced by the elimination of the inclusion of parking costs in your room rate, and tacking it on as an extra fee. Shrugging it off is not a smart approach, because before you know it, those who are middle class fans like those who work in retail, won't be able to afford to experience the magic as Walt intended to make it accessible to all families.
I like going to WDW and I’ll make it work for me and my family, even with the higher prices.

If you don’t want to go because you feel you are paying too much, then don’t go. But another family will gladly pay those prices. That will not change. The demand is clearly there.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
For me it's the degradation of the quality of Food & Beverage combined with the necessity of having to commit in advance for my experiences and micromanage my vacation. I'll pay the prices. Just give me quality for what I'm paying. And damn it, man, let me enjoy my vacation.

Nothing on the list presented by the poll, however.

mf1972

we normally stay at pofq, but decided to go value this year with asm since fq won’t be open during our stay. but as far as room rates are for moderate & deluxe resorts, it would be nice if they built another value resort on property instead of more expensive resorts. i know…blasphemy 🤪. but i always thought a star wars value resort would’ve been a great idea.

Disstevefan1

I had no idea they went to a two night minimum at resorts. That explains why when I tried to do an overnight for my bday in November nothing was available. It’s early November midweek so I was pretty surprised.
We didn’t renew our passes this year for exactly those reasons. We’ll still go up for a night or two couple times a year I imagine but it’s definitely not our go to vacation spot anymore.
I wonder if they want to discourage locals to make that one night stay just to take advantage of (whatever) on-site privileges?

Another reason perhaps, is the one night stay keeps that room from accommodating a multi day stay?

Not saying either is right. Both just pure guesses.

What would be cool is that Disney would allow the one night stay, but look at their data and tell the potential guest if they want a one night stay, they must pick from a list; this list comes from crunching the data and determining which rooms Disney can occupy for a night while not harming any potential multi night stay possibilities.

Not sure if Disney’s information systems are smart enough or nimble enough to do this.

GimpYancIent

The demand for Disney property vacations is there but steadily (slowly) dwindling as the product becomes more of a MEH! As for costs / pricing Disney is not forcing anyone to pay anything, if people want to give their money to Disney WELL its their money and I say ENJOY.

BillyGr

What would be cool is that Disney would allow the one night stay, but look at their data and tell the potential guest if they want a one night stay, they must pick from a list; this list comes from crunching the data and determining which rooms Disney can occupy for a night while not harming any potential multi night stay possibilities.

Not sure if Disney’s information systems are smart enough or nimble enough to do this.
Seems that would make sense - for instance, you have rooms where people are staying for the weekend (checking in Friday for 2 nights) and then people coming in Monday for the week. That leaves those rooms unoccupied Sunday night, so a way to offer those otherwise "blank" spots for those who want a quick stay and to make a bit more by having the room filled.

Communicora

Premium Member
I wonder if they want to discourage locals to make that one night stay just to take advantage of (whatever) on-site privileges?

Another reason perhaps, is the one night stay keeps that room from accommodating a multi day stay?

Not saying either is right. Both just pure guesses.

I'm guessing it's because they don't have enough housekeeping staff to turn over the rooms.

Goofyernmost

I had no idea they went to a two night minimum at resorts. That explains why when I tried to do an overnight for my bday in November nothing was available. It’s early November midweek so I was pretty surprised.
We didn’t renew our passes this year for exactly those reasons. We’ll still go up for a night or two couple times a year I imagine but it’s definitely not our go to vacation spot anymore.
They did that to me years ago in Wells Beach, Maine. It was a weekend and I usually spent at least a week there and it was about a 4 hour drive from VT. But, we tried, on a whim to go their for just one night. Arrive on Saturday, late morning and leave on Sunday. I was surprised that they were doing that because it was off season but it was two nights and frankly because I didn't make a reservation it was a particularly nice weekend, it was busier then usual. I'm sure there were some available for one night, but I didn't have the energy to keep looking. The kids wanted to go to the beach. So I reluctantly took it even though we had to get back to Vermont by Sunday evening because of work and school attendance needs. I wasn't really upset but it did make me a little miffed, nothing serious. Having been going to Wells Beach for many years that Saturday was a really lucky treat. The warm Gulf Stream was running very close to the shore so you could go in the water without fear of hypothermia. My kids usually stayed in the normally cold water until their lips would start to turn blue and we would make them come out. So we spent the afternoon at Old Orchard Beach and went to Lord's Harborside Restaurant (closed now) fill up with wonderful seafood, Sunday breakfast at Congdon's Doughnuts morning to the beach, (the water was back to its normal polar bear temp. and left after lunch at the Goldenrod Restaurant in York Beach on Sunday.

Anyway while we were sitting on the beach I came up with a diabolical plan to give the room key to a homeless person to stay there after we left to go home. Sadly, my generosity was thwarted by my wife telling me I couldn't do that. Instead we never checked out. We just left the keys in the room and left for Vermont. I just didn't want them to rent the room again after I had already paid for it.

I know this has nothing to do with WDW, because even paying for two nights in that hotel and adding up the cost of lodging, meals transportation and entertainment, plus real, honest to goodness, relaxation with no massive every minute planning, that is just one example of things that can be done and not spend even a quarter of what one day at WDW costs. WDW was great and was my escape from everyday life, but even though it was always undoable for a large part of the country, the middle socioeconomic section was always able to find a way to get there. Now the choice is send your kids to college or go to WDW. You can't do both.

Goofyernmost

For any of those to be Outrageous you must first believe Disney would NEVER do that. It’s none of the above
Not true, we all believed that Disney could do it, we just were surprised that they would price out so many of their loyal guest, families and just go for the money grab. We always knew that those with unlimited income could and would pay more then actual value for Disney but we felt like we lost a friend more then a location. Weird, I know, but emotional connections matter to everyone except accountants and shareholders apparently.

Goofyernmost

First, no one is "forced" to do any of those until they decide to go there. Resorts are now and always have been the biggest rip off to come down the pike. The room rates are laughable, yet people continue to pay them time after time. Are they nice, sure but there is equivalent on the outside for massively less nightly rates. Those that stay onsite do so voluntarily. I have, until recently, gone every year, sometimes more than once, and have only stayed onsite once. I have made so many memories with family and without. Had to have a car, yes, but I could rent a care for a week with the savings of one night offsite instead of on. They have conned everyone into believing that you don't get the Disney joy unless you do. Well, that is hogwash! I don't care if people stay onsite but it is there attitude that they will pay anything to get the magical experience and it can only be done if you immerse that angers me. But, what the heck it is their money not mine.

Anyway, I voted "all of the above" even though most of those individually do not bother me at all. But it is more then one of them but not all that are forcing me to stay at home or find some other place to escape that I can easily afford. Along with one that doesn't required a constant vigilant to occupy your day with close to every minute planned.

Lilofan

They did that to me years ago in Wells Beach, Maine. It was a weekend and I usually spent at least a week there and it was about a 4 hour drive from VT. But, we tried, on a whim to go their for just one night. Arrive on Saturday, late morning and leave on Sunday. I was surprised that they were doing that because it was off season but it was two nights and frankly because I didn't make a reservation it was a particularly nice weekend, it was busier then usual. I'm sure there were some available for one night, but I didn't have the energy to keep looking. The kids wanted to go to the beach. So I reluctantly took it even though we had to get back to Vermont by Sunday evening because of work and school attendance needs. I wasn't really upset but it did make me a little miffed, nothing serious. Having been going to Wells Beach for many years that Saturday was a really lucky treat. The warm Gulf Stream was running very close to the shore so you could go in the water without fear of hypothermia. My kids usually stayed in the normally cold water until their lips would start to turn blue and we would make them come out. So we spent the afternoon at Old Orchard Beach and went to Lord's Harborside Restaurant (closed now) fill up with wonderful seafood, Sunday breakfast at Congdon's Doughnuts morning to the beach, (the water was back to its normal polar bear temp. and left after lunch at the Goldenrod Restaurant in York Beach on Sunday.

Anyway while we were sitting on the beach I came up with a diabolical plan to give the room key to a homeless person to stay there after we left to go home. Sadly, my generosity was thwarted by my wife telling me I couldn't do that. Instead we never checked out. We just left the keys in the room and left for Vermont. I just didn't want them to rent the room again after I had already paid for it.

I know this has nothing to do with WDW, because even paying for two nights in that hotel and adding up the cost of lodging, meals transportation and entertainment, plus real, honest to goodness, relaxation with no massive every minute planning, that is just one example of things that can be done and not spend even a quarter of what one day at WDW costs. WDW was great and was my escape from everyday life, but even though it was always undoable for a large part of the country, the middle socioeconomic section was always able to find a way to get there. Now the choice is send your kids to college or go to WDW. You can't do both.
It requires to serve your country in peace or war after graduation , but some I knew went the ROTC route and attended college for free. One can vacation at WDW with the money saved if they choose to.

Goofyernmost

It requires to serve your country in peace or war after graduation , but some I knew went the ROTC route and attended college for free. One can vacation at WDW with the money saved if they choose to.
Not sure how that connects with my post. Did you quote the wrong post?

BeentoallDParks

For all the people who say “well, people are clearly still going to Disney so who cares if you don’t like the price increases,” I’d warn you not to count your chickens yet. We are in a middle period, while people experience these changes for the first time. I personally know about 5 different families who recently came back from Disney and said they think they’ll just go to Universal more now because the Disney hassle isn’t worth it. In a year or two, we’ll see if that Disney attendance is really so ironclad.

Kramerica

The parking fee at the resorts is totally egregious. You’re literally getting nothing for that money you’re spending, it’s just a price gouge. When you get that hefty bill thrown at you at the end of your stay, it leaves a bitter taste in your mouth.

The sales pitch for a Disney resort nowadays is “Hey, come stay at a Disney resort! We’re twice the cost of our competition, we won’t clean your room any more and you’ll get the middle finger via a fat parking bill when you check out! See ya real soon!”

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

For all the people who say “well, people are clearly still going to Disney so who cares if you don’t like the price increases,” I’d warn you not to count your chickens yet. We are in a middle period, while people experience these changes for the first time. I personally know about 5 different families who recently came back from Disney and said they think they’ll just go to Universal more now because the Disney hassle isn’t worth it. In a year or two, we’ll see if that Disney attendance is really so ironclad.
All I'll say is we've been saying that for st least the 9 years I've been hanging around ( at the beginning I was just reading). Almost annually we hear how this is the proverbial "end" for Disney, how whatever change is going to alienate all their "loyal" customers. Maybe it will, maybe it won't but if I was a betting gal I'd go with the old saying in Vegas...."the house usually wins ".
Attendance may dip but I'm betting in 10 years we'll be here repeating the same refrain 😄

What's funny the people I know are the opposite. My friend and coworker just reserved his condo for the Jersey shore. $3500.00 for the week and nope it's not beachfront. He wasgrumbling that he might as well have gone back to Disney.

We don't have the emotional attachment to Disney per se as my family went to a variety of places. It's really simple for us, do we have an exceptional time when we go? We just came back from a vacation and the answer was a resounding YES so we'll be back. It won't be next year but no because of anything Disney has done but because we want to go to Yellowstone. I have no plans on doing Genie+ so that may effect how we feel

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Your last line can't go to WDW and send kids to college, can't do both.
I think that comes from the feeling people have that they use to go to Disney on their comfort level and darn it Disney should make sure I can still go at the price that is good for me
😃
I assure you when we were forking out college tuition for 3 kids we considered being able to slap a steak on the grill a win. I was on college in the 80s, my father reminded me almost daily how much he was forking out on out of state college tuition for me and my brother on a NYC policeman salary.
I don't get it, most folks can't do anything and everything they want. I mean unless your Oprah or Bill Gates and I don't say that flippingly. I never felt that I was "supposed" to buy everything I wanted at a price I liked. If I could I'd be typing this from beachfront house in Southern California
Now I totally get the cost/value argument but not this "WDW has to price their product so I can go and I can go easily".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom