Disney Fitness Forum

lebernadin

Original Poster
I think this board needs a forum devoted to threads with re to the Endurance Series at WDW.

There's an inline marathon, a 10k Race for the Taste during the Food & Wine Festival, as well as the hugely popular Marathon Weekend every January.

Its a shame that the largest Disney board doesn't have a forum devoted to this already.

I think it should be treated in a broad fashion though and not given an exacting title like "Marathon forum" so as to attract anyone interested in fitness in general. As reality dictates not everyone is ready to or has the desire to run a full or half marathon. So something like this thread title would be better, and you could list the Marathon Weekend and other major events in the text line under it to direct such interest.

The more people that are living a healthy lifestyle the better and such a forum has the potential to encourage those who wouldn't ever consider such things, but may do so since it involves WDW.

The WDW marathon is the largest charity marathon each year in the US. A huge percentage of the runners are running attached to the various large charities.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Marathons and other fitness events tend to be Mouseplanet.com's thing. With so many boards on the net, each one tends to focus on a different aspect. WDWMagic.com tends to be focused on in-park miniscule operational details, upcomming rehabs, new shows, etc. For hotel rooms, menus, etc there's wdwig.com (AllEars,net) and for money saving tips there's Mousesavers.com

Not every board can cover everything.

lebernadin

Original Poster
mousermerf said:
Marathons and other fitness events tend to be Mouseplanet.com's thing. With so many boards on the net, each one tends to focus on a different aspect. WDWMagic.com tends to be focused on in-park miniscule operational details, upcomming rehabs, new shows, etc. For hotel rooms, menus, etc there's wdwig.com (AllEars,net) and for money saving tips there's Mousesavers.com

Not every board can cover everything.

With all do respect, this is how you utilize such boards and since you don't run this site, save the "not every board can cover everything" rants.

I'm requesting this of those running this site, not the peanut gallery who won't be using it anyways.

I'm not one to mention other forums on "rival" boards, but since you mentioned it, the board on that other site for fitness is a ghost town and no one posts there. So i'm trying to figure out how you came to the conclusion that fitness is their "thing" if there's barely a post a week on average. Furthermore, it can't be their "thing" if those running it and those patronizing it have only run one marathon in their lifetime and aren't in a position to give training advice etc.

There are far more people that frequent this site. As a result, a forum focused on fitness would have far more traffic and benefit far more people than the "other" forum.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
If you think there is scope for this type of board I will certainly consider it. Before a new baord is added, I am normally looking to see several threads in one of the other areas of the site already discussing that topic. In the case of the Virtual Magic Kingdom board, that was added after I saw a consitent number of posts on that subject. Maybe a good first step would be for you to start a thread on one of these subjects, and let's see how it takes off. If there is enough interest, I will certainly add a dedicated section for it. Thanks for the suggestions :)

lebernadin

Original Poster
wdwmagic said:
If you think there is scope for this type of board I will certainly consider it. Before a new baord is added, I am normally looking to see several threads in one of the other areas of the site already discussing that topic. In the case of the Virtual Magic Kingdom board, that was added after I saw a consitent number of posts on that subject. Maybe a good first step would be for you to start a thread on one of these subjects, and let's see how it takes off. If there is enough interest, I will certainly add a dedicated section for it. Thanks for the suggestions :)

Thanks Steve. What i've typically done over the past year or so is just do a search for "marathon" on all the forums and just responded if i could add anything. What this request stems from is a recent marathon thread created by someone in the past couple of days, that's in the WDW general discussion forum.

But i think it'd be great to have a forum devoted to everything fitness, from the endurance series, to questions with re to where to run/bike around property throughout the year, to which resort pools have the best ability to do laps w/o having people in the way, to best recreational rentals for boats, volleyball courts etc.

When you consider the AAU usage of the Wide World of Sports and the myriad of events that take place there that folks may be looking for info from people who've done them in the past, that only adds to the possible range of such a forum. Cheerleading, soccer, basketball, Braves spring training, etc

I'll start a "would you be interested in this thread" if you like. Just let me know where you want me to put it.

Thanks again!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Most people who goto Disney haven't run any marathons, nevermind more than 1.

Refering to anyone trying to help you find the information you want as a "peanut gallery" isn't going to earn you any friends - nor helpful posts about upcoming events (i'm purposely not posting that the triathalon started registering!)

Lani over at mouseplanet writes articles about the marathon and how to train for it on a fairly regular basis - its not a big part of the forum, but there's tons of info on that website.

lebernadin

Original Poster
mousermerf said:
Most people who goto Disney haven't run any marathons, nevermind more than 1.

Refering to anyone trying to help you find the information you want as a "peanut gallery" isn't going to earn you any friends - nor helpful posts about upcoming events (i'm purposely not posting that the triathalon started registering!)

Most people don't rent vacation homes in the WDW area, however there's a forum for that. Most people haven't been to DLP or the Asian parks, however there are forums for those.

Get over yourself. If you won't be visiting the forum, fine. But i don't know what you feel you're accomplishing by minimizing and treading on others' interests simply because you don't share them. There are plenty of forums on boards that i've never visited. Do i lobby to have them shut down or new ones not created simply because i won't be visiting them? No. Give it a rest.

As far as saying you were trying to help, point out where I asked for help in the above post you responded to. I'm asking the only other person that is relevant to this request, Steve, in the appropriate forum, to consider a new forum. Did i ask the board in general where i can find marathon info? No, you took it upon yourself to point me elsewhere though.

Despite over a thousand posts in just 4 months, you're still post-my days of paying attention to and posting on this board regularly. Search through my 500 posts, i'm not here to make friends, i'm here to exchange info regarding WDW and my trips to Tokyo and Paris.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom