Disney Female Role Models

Sans Souci

This is a trivialization of the contribution of these women. Making princess illustrations out of women like Rosa Parks, OMG, Marie Curie and Malala. Anne Frank--Holocaust Princess? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? Why can't these women be recognized without the princess trappings?

Oh, never mind, the illustrator of this e works the Sun. Well, then, I am surprised he hasn't drawn them with their baps out, really. :p

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'll save the whole "role model" rant for another forum / IRC...but, I personally don't think it means all that much when you really think about it.

Someone you read about in a book or hear about doesn't inspire you necessarily as a kid, and a movie you saw as a kid doesn't make you who you are. You make those choices yourself. What has a major impact are the people who interact with you daily. They turn you into the adult you will be. This goes for men and women.

You can't preach to a child "you should be a social leader like this lady did" (for example, Rosa Parks) without realizing who she was and why she felt the way and acted the way she did.

It turns these strong citizens who impacted our collective culture, for reasons of their own, into tropes. And that's a disservice to them, but mostly to the next "female leader" (or any leader of any sex).

That's all I'll say about that and leave it with this...

lazyboy97o

This is a trivialization of the contribution of these women. Making princess illustrations out of women like Rosa Parks, OMG, Marie Curie and Malala. Anne Frank--Holocaust Princess? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? Why can't these women be recognized without the princess trappings?

Oh, never mind, the illustrator of this ****e works the Sun. Well, then, I am surprised he hasn't drawn them with their baps out, really. :p
The whole point was to trivialize to highlight conformist images like the Disney Princess line of merchandise.

Sans Souci

What's funny is that the article even includes a bolded quote in it's own seperate box, but most will never look at the text at any length.

I am honestly not trying to be incendiary, but this is done from a masculine lens of perception. Women don't need big and strong men looking after our interests.

Sans Souci

Because this guy was the first to raise these issues... :rolleyes:

I am sorry you feel you have to roll your eyes at me (because I agree with a lot of what you write here and I love to read what you say in Eddie Sotto's thread, truly :)). That's the point; it's a guy who speaks up for women. The guy writes for the Sun, if he is so bothered about how women are represented, then maybe he should look at his employer. It's like holding the hand of the person who holds you down.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I don't believe in obscure role models. I grew up playing cops and robbers and shooting the TV with my cowboy pistols to the introduction of Gunsmoke. I didn't look to the show to be a role model. I watched Perry Mason with my Mom but it wasn't to guide me to be an attorney. Sure we did our Disneyland and then later Disney World trips but we didn't have VHS or DVDs to dwell upon and warp our little minds. And some parents, God knows why, feed that warped notion and buy all the costumes and Bippity their little girls minds into Princess dream land. It isn't what Disney does or doesn't do with the Princesses. It is the parents that indulge in the delusional behaviors and hoist it onto their children.

We did have Barbie though. :eek: I gave mine a crewcut. We, my DH and I are/were our children's role models not some animated princess or for my DS who loved those Turtles that use to be at MGM. They are entertainment, nothing more.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Interesting portrayal of some strong influencial women. Hopefully if some young girl see this it will lead them to learn more about the real women and their lives.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom