Disney Fears

msbrit90

Original Poster
So Disney is obviously the happiest place on earth, but is there anything about it that scares/creeps you out? :confused:

Well for me I don't go far in the Norway pavilion at Epcot. I have an insane/irrational fear of trolls. :cautious: I watched the movie 'The Labyrinth" when I was like 3 and I was traumatized, and now at 24 I'm still scared. I went on the Maelstrom ride for the first time in years when I was 17 and bout had a panic attack, any time I go into Norway and see the wooden trolls (that I feel like are EVERY WHERE:arghh:) I go in to panic mode...its sad.

Then not long ago on Sorcerer Radio they played the 'Main Street Electrical Parade' music, and at the beginning theres like a computer like voice announcing the parade and it just gave me the creeps for some reason.

So I was just curious as to if there are any other people with creepy/scary Disney World experiences :happy:

SnarkyMonkey

What an interesting thread!

I can't think of anything off the top of my head that creeps me out....not even the IASW dolls. But I will think on it and get back to you.

StarWarsGirl

I was there when they had some kinda cheer leading convention going on...they were eveywhere :eek:
, so much loudness, so many squeels, so much peppyness :banghead:
A lot of the high school cheer groups are really bad. Saw a lot of college groups there a few weeks ago, but they conducted themselves better. High school cheerleaders can be obnoxious. There is no reason to randomly start cheering in the middle of the path.

lilclerk

I watched the movie 'The Labyrinth" when I was like 3 and I was traumatized, and now at 24 I'm still scared.
Labyrinth has been my favorite movie since I was about 3 ;) I used to play "the floor is the bog of eternal stench" like other kids played "the floor is lava." I still watch it all the time!

I am sure I've told this story before, but we went to Epcot when I was 6, and I remember riding Spaceship Earth and not realizing there was floor right next to us... I thought I was going to fall out of the car and crash at the bottom of the ball. I still get a little nervous riding backwards back down, but it's one of my favorite rides in WDW.

I also get a little nervous walking by bushes and trees because I am scared of seeing a giant Florida spider. That is not Disney related. Just spider related.

lazyboy97o

I'm afraid of people who call places other than Disneyland the Happiest Place on Earth. :p

When I was little I was worried that our voyage through liquid space would encounter technical difficulties, thus trapping us deep beneath the waves.

StarWarsGirl

When I was little, I used to be afraid of masks. Specifically anyone in masks. They used to have performers in Italy that wore masks. I. Was. Terrified. My mom couldn't get me anywhere near them. I was fine with the characters, like Mickey and Minnie, but those masks? Nuh uh. It was a good thing they had no Darth Vader at the parks, otherwise I probably never would have seen Star Wars.

I also was afraid of automatic toilets for a long time, so if there are any parents reading this with children terrified of the toilets, they are not the first and will not be the last. Also, Mickey stickers over the sensors. You're welcome. :p

Now, I am not a fan of HM because I don't like the ghosts. I know they are fake, but I still don't like them. I ride it to rest my feet and look at the special effects. I also am not crazy about the Alien scene in GMR. I finally watched it last trip and just kept telling myself it was Star Trek: Voyager and that the alien was a member of species 8472

Species8472.jpg

msbrit90

Original Poster
A lot of the high school cheer groups are really bad. Saw a lot of college groups there a few weeks ago, but they conducted themselves better. High school cheerleaders can be obnoxious. There is no reason to randomly start cheering in the middle of the path.

yesss, and the time I went there were allll ages from like 5-18 I would think, I will never forget being infront of a group of five 15 year olds (guess they were 15) , at splash mountain with a 45 min wait, and they were so loud and one just kept popping her gum, over and over and overo_O...gum smacking and popping had never bothered me till that day..that was like 8 years ago and I still remember it

msbrit90

Original Poster
Labyrinth has been my favorite movie since I was about 3 ;) I used to play "the floor is the bog of eternal stench" like other kids played "the floor is lava." I still watch it all the time!

I am sure I've told this story before, but we went to Epcot when I was 6, and I remember riding Spaceship Earth and not realizing there was floor right next to us... I thought I was going to fall out of the car and crash at the bottom of the ball. I still get a little nervous riding backwards back down, but it's one of my favorite rides in WDW.

I also get a little nervous walking by bushes and trees because I am scared of seeing a giant Florida spider. That is not Disney related. Just spider related.

I feel like if I saw the movie today I'd be ok with it, but every time I see something pertaining to it , or looking similar I freak, like bad (my friends in high school found out and would turn it on in a room I wasn't in then be like "hey come look at this")

and if there at Disney world then they're magical Disney spiders! They may even have pixie dust! :p
jk...now I think of it....I'v never seen a spider while at disney, or a roach, or anything...the mosquitoes are not even bad at disney, thats truly magical

msbrit90

Original Poster
When I was little, I used to be afraid of masks. Specifically anyone in masks. They used to have performers in Italy that wore masks. I. Was. Terrified. My mom couldn't get me anywhere near them. I was fine with the characters, like Mickey and Minnie, but those masks? Nuh uh. It was a good thing they had no Darth Vader at the parks, otherwise I probably never would have seen Star Wars.

I also was afraid of automatic toilets for a long time, so if there are any parents reading this with children terrified of the toilets, they are not the first and will not be the last. Also, Mickey stickers over the sensors. You're welcome. :p

Now, I am not a fan of HM because I don't like the ghosts. I know they are fake, but I still don't like them. I ride it to rest my feet and look at the special effects. I also am not crazy about the Alien scene in GMR. I finally watched it last trip and just kept telling myself it was Star Trek: Voyager and that the alien was a member of species 8472

Species8472.jpg

Aww HM is my fav.

Did you ever go on the 'Alien Encounter' ride at MK before it was 'Stitches Great Escape'....went on it when I wa like 10...that ride didn't necessarily scare me when I was on it (had my eyes closed for 50% the time), but that night when we got in I had nightmares and had to go sleep in my parents room bc of it.

StarWarsGirl

Aww HM is my fav.

Did you ever go on the 'Alien Encounter' ride at MK before it was 'Stitches Great Escape'....went on it when I wa like 10...that ride didn't necessarily scare me when I was on it (had my eyes closed for 50% the time), but that night when we got in I had nightmares and had to go sleep in my parents room bc of it.
My parents had a rule about trying everything at least once. Each trip, I had to try every ride that I was tall enough for at least once. If I didn't like it, I didn't have to do it again until the next trip. My dad even used bribery for many years to get me on TofT.

Alien Encounter was the exception to the rule. My mom got nightmares after riding it one time and refused to do it ever again. She never made me do it and would not allow my father to bribe me as he had on TofT. She was smart and knew that I am just like her in the getting nightmares issue. It closed when I was 8, and I never did do it. Maybe if I had been a teenager, I would have tried it just to see what it was like.

I know a lot of people miss that attraction, and even more hate the replacement, but I can see why they closed it. It was scary. Magic Kingdom is not supposed to be a scary place.

msbrit90

Original Poster
My parents had a rule about trying everything at least once. Each trip, I had to try every ride that I was tall enough for at least once. If I didn't like it, I didn't have to do it again until the next trip. My dad even used bribery for many years to get me on TofT.

Alien Encounter was the exception to the rule. My mom got nightmares after riding it one time and refused to do it ever again. She never made me do it and would not allow my father to bribe me as he had on TofT. She was smart and knew that I am just like her in the getting nightmares issue. It closed when I was 8, and I never did do it. Maybe if I had been a teenager, I would have tried it just to see what it was like.

I know a lot of people miss that attraction, and even more hate the replacement, but I can see why they closed it. It was scary. Magic Kingdom is not supposed to be a scary place.

Yeah it was def to intense for MK....if you go on stitch now its the same thing but instead of stitch in the center 'escaping' it was an Alien....I remember in the Alien ride the lights go out, you hear the glass break as alien escapes and theres a "maintenance guy" up in the rafters of the room 'fixing' the lights (hes an robot of course) but suddenly the lights flickered, the guy screamed and you heard a crunch and something spatter on your face as the guy was eaten. will NEVERRR forget that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom