1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Disney Family Museum

Discussion in 'Walt Disney: The Man Behind the Mouse' started by onesandzeros, Jun 12, 2013.

1. MOXOMUMD

MOXOMUMD Well-Known Member

@TP2000 That is awesome. Thanks!

2. RoyWalley

RoyWalley Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Tom Hanks with Diane Disney Miller on one of the benches Walt Disney sat on as he thought up Disneyland.
    The actor visited the Disney Family Museum in San Francisco to research for the role of the famous mogul.

3WaltFans likes this.
  3. BrittanyRose428

BrittanyRose428 Well-Known Member

I would love to work at this museum some day. I can dream.. lol

AllydoesDisney likes this.
  4. 216bruce

216bruce Well-Known Member

Seeing it in October on an ABD DVC members-only trip. After-hours and private tour of the museum. Really hope we aren't rushed. Heck, I'd spend the night if they'd let me.

Magenta Panther likes this.
  5. AllydoesDisney

AllydoesDisney Well-Known Member

Is it similar to One Man's Dream at all?

6. rob0519

rob0519 Well-Known Member

Here are some pictures we took on our trip two years ago. Keep in mind pictures are not allowed to be taken on most areas of the museum. The last photo isn't mine. I grabbed it off the web. Lucas Arts has offices on the Presidio as well and in one of their courtyards is a fountain with a picture of Yoda. It's not well publicized, but a nice photo opportunity. It's also not real easy to find.

P9230205.JPG P9230203.JPG

P9230210.JPG

P9230212.JPG

P9230216.JPG

yoda Lucas Arts.jpg

3WaltFans, MOXOMUMD and RoyWalley like this.
  7. rob0519

Found my pictures of the Yoda Fountain.
    P9270446.JPG

Attached Files:

MOXOMUMD likes this.
  8. MOXOMUMD

MOXOMUMD Well-Known Member

That is awesome. Thanks for sharing. :D

9. MerMom1981

MerMom1981 Well-Known Member

I'll be tagging along on Hubby's business trip next month... this is where I'll be spending a bunch of my solo time!

RoyWalley likes this.
  10. rob0519

I hope you have a great day at the museum. If you're looking to have lunch before or after your visit, try the Transit Cafe. It's a short walk from the museum, is reasonably priced, food tastes great and if you sit outside you have a nice view of the bay as well.

MerMom1981 likes this.
  11. MotherofaPrincessLover

MotherofaPrincessLover Well-Known Member

I am not happy I did not know about this place while I was in SF last month. I have no idea if I'll ever be going back to SF so I'm really disappointed I didn't get to see this.

12. mharrington

mharrington Well-Known Member

You can actually take pictures in the museum now. You just need to keep the flash off.

13. TP2000

TP2000 Well-Known Member

Barely. One Man's Dream is a rather cheaply done and very abbreviated version of what is presented at the Walt Disney Family Museum. And then the TDO executives made sure it's scrubbed clean of any hint of non-politically correct material or element of tension or unsanitized emotion. One Man's Dream is a cheap-n-easy exhibit safe enough for sheltered third graders who haven't had their snack yet.

An analogy: Think of One Man's Dream as a 60 second YouTube video of cats falling off a bookshelf you view on your computer, compared to the Walt Disney Family Museum as the full two and a half hour Tecnhicolor release of Mary Poppins seen at Grauman's Chinese Theater.

14. MerMom1981

MerMom1981 Well-Known Member

I took a ton while I was there, but it wasn't enough! They're also lame smart phone shots. I didn't think to bring my camera, cause I didn't think it was allowed. Next time!

I'm working on a TR with what I've got

15. rob0519

That's good news if I have a chance to go back. It also means we could see more pictures here on the forum.

16. AllydoesDisney

AllydoesDisney Well-Known Member

Well I like One Man's Dream but I'm sure the museum s way better

TP2000 likes this.
  17. TP2000

TP2000 Well-Known Member

I like One Man's Dream too. And I also like cat videos on YouTube. :D

18. Ralphlaw

Ralphlaw Well-Known Member

We went there the one day of the week that it's closed (Tuesday I think). Oh well, gotta leave something for next time. We did get to the ILM lobby down the road with Yoda, etc . . . Yeah, the Presidio is way cool. I wish I was there right now.

19. 216bruce

216bruce Well-Known Member

We are going to SF starting tomorrow and will be visiting the WDFM on an Adventures by Disney trip. They have, from what I can tell, about two hours planned at the museum, which I'm sure isn't enough time for a real 'Walt nerd'. Can anyone advise me as to how much time is reasonable to visit and feel that you've gotten a fair amount of time there. We have some free time in the itinerary and would love to go back on the trip. How much more will we need?

20. TP2000

TP2000 Well-Known Member

Two hours probably won't be enough time for someone genuinely interested in Walt Disney. That's how much time I allocated for my first visit four years ago, and it wasn't enough. The building looks deceptively small from the front entrance, too.

If you really want to go through every exhibit, read most of the explanatory text next to the displays, and be able to pause and take in some of the more notable and rare objects, you'll need three hours.

If you want to do all that, plus see one of the movie presentations in the basement theater (shows vary, not sure what's going on currently) and stop for a snack at the café and spend 15 minutes perusing the gift shop, you'll need four hours.

Four hours is safe for a true Walt nerd, like many of us here are. And if you get done before four hours, there are plenty of other things to do near the Walt Disney Family Museum. Heck, just strolling the grounds of the Presidio and taking in the fabulous views is a wonderful time killer.

Walt Disney Family Museum - In The Shadow of the Golden Gate
    [​IMG]

216bruce likes this.