News Disney Explores Amazon Prime-Like Membership Program to Offer Discounts and Perks

nickys

Premium Member
“But if we can have a universal guest experience, recognize that a person who spent 7 days in the park, 24 hours a day, and we know all that information about them, is the exact same person who watches XYZ on Disney+, and we can identify that person to the same one, and they give us the ability to go ahead and use the data that way, we can now customize and personalize an experience way beyond anything we've ever been able to do before…”
From the transcript in the article. You would have to allow permission to track.
Ah, so they have thought of it. Thats a lot of “ifs” …..! 😉

Realistically it means the tailoring could only be done for the person who takes out the D+ subscription because that’s the only person they could a) identify (same passwords for D+ and MDE) and get permission from.

But since D+ allows for different profiles, how do they identify which profile is the one for the subscriber? Because if they took data from another profile then they don’t have express permission. I don’t know if there is a way they can do that or not, I just know I created my own profile on D+ when DH shared the service with me.

EPCOT-O.G.

“But if we can have a universal guest experience, recognize that a person who spent 7 days in the park, 24 hours a day, and we know all that information about them, is the exact same person who watches XYZ on Disney+, and we can identify that person to the same one, and they give us the ability to go ahead and use the data that way, we can now customize and personalize an experience way beyond anything we've ever been able to do before…”
From the transcript in the article. You would have to allow permission to track.
They've already demonstrated Genie+ does a terrible job at this. I just don't see this being useful.

MrPromey

One thing is for certain… there are no ‘discounts’ coming our way, just advertising (and then ultimately purchase) for products and services we’d otherwise have not bought (nor probably needed/wanted).

Like everything Big Bob does, this is ultimately for the shareholders, not the customer.
There may be discounts but those can only kick in after you've bought more than you would have, otherwise. Did you really need all of those extra up-charge experiences? Did you really need that commemorative throw?

The upcharges were 20% off after paying for 3 or more different experiences and the throw was only $30 after spending $100 on other merchandise in a single purcahse and not even available to buy, otherwise!

That's the way they get people - someone walks away thinking they got a deal and Disney walks away with a few hundred dollars more than that person showed up intending to spend.

Fast-forward half a decade and that commemorative throw is sitting in a storage unit they're paying monthly on along with all their other smart purchases over the years.

Being a consumer doing anything these days is becoming more and more like Bambi's mom walking onto the tradeshow floor at an NRA convention.

Last edited:

MrPromey

aladdin2007

sounds to me like the day is coming where if your not a disney plus subscriber you wont be allowed in the parks,
things are really getting bad. it just sickens me every time he opens his mouth. the whole company and the parks are being sent down the drain and fast. hes the mad hatter.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
sounds to me like the day is coming where if your not a disney plus subscriber you wont be allowed in the parks,
things are really getting bad. it just sickens me every time he opens his mouth. the whole company and the parks are being sent down the drain and fast. hes the mad hatter.
Disney Plus subscribers are now in their own separate preferred park reservation bucket confirmed!!

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"

Disney CEO Bob Chapek says that Disney+ will. become a consumer engagement platform deeply integrated with the theme park experience​

I see what Chapek is going for, but unlike say, Google/Facebook hyper targeting advertising or content you like, a ride doesn’t equate precisely to a film/show since an IP can be used from anything from a bathroom to a land. Disney Plus’ viewing habits are going to be mostly self-contained, but that doesn’t mean the parks can’t offer some insight.

However, going into a Tangled bathroom is not going to show your want for Tangled, or if you get motion sick and skip Star Tours even if you love C-3PO. Unlike what Chapek thinks, people aren’t *just* going for a specific IP; the execution of the IP in theme parks is the main impact. Theme parks are their own unique being.

Likewise, even if interacting with an IP at a theme park shows you want that IP on Disney Plus, a 60 year old who likes Tangled is not going to watch a Tangled show for 5 year olds. It’s not black and white.

If anything, the benefit would be marginal and not gravitational, so it’s worth exploring, but not if it’s going to cost 100’s of millions.

Disney’s ‘tech’ endeavors have been My Disney Genie Day’s multi-million useless algorithm-based Tip Board and before that the billion+ Fastpass+, so I assume it will not be executed to any benefit. In those two cases, they can be explained as Disney again not getting the parks. Tip Board tries to tailor wants of park goers with operational capacity which is fine for a model assuming the right inputs but inaccurate when making personal predictions without any nuance an actual park goer has and with major capacity constraints. Fastpass+ didn’t consult operations at all and cost well over a billion dollars.

It’s tempting to say that because streaming platforms are viewed as tech companies—they’re *mostly not* actually—that means Disney is a tech company which has led them into a bizarre mindset recently with the success of Disney Plus. Even if a streaming service is assumed to be tech rather than a cable/distribution replacement, they’ve also had a huge failure with Maker Studios when they were trying to act like Google. And while the various Disney apps have great features (MagicMobile, Dining reservations, etc.), they are slow even on newer phones, eat battery life, and have convoluted layouts.

TWDC does not know what it is. If Chapek actually thinks Disney is a tech company, we surely haven't seen the worst of what he can do.

Last edited:

EPCOT-O.G.

I see what Chapek is going for, but unlike say, Google/Facebook hyper targeting advertising or content you like, a ride doesn’t equate precisely to a film/show since an IP can be used from anything from a bathroom to a land.

Going into a Tangled bathroom is not going to show your want for Tangled, or if you get motion sick and skip Star Tours even if you love C-3PO. Unlike what Chapek thinks, people aren’t *just* going for a specific IP; the execution of the IP in theme parks is the main impact.

Likewise, even if interacting with an IP at a theme park shows you want that IP on Disney Plus, a 60 year old who likes Tangled is not going to watch a Tangled show for 5 year olds. It’s not black and white.

If anything, the benefit would be marginal and not gravitational, so it’s worth exploring but not if it’s going to cost 100’s of millions.

Disney’s recent ‘tech’ endeavors have also been Genie’s ‘My Day’, and before that Fastpass+, so I assume it will not be executed to any benefit.
The company’s obsession with becoming a tech behemoth despite proven failure after proven failure in this realm is really something to behold.

Jambo Dad

I see what Chapek is going for, but unlike say, Google/Facebook hyper targeting advertising or content you like, a ride doesn’t equate precisely to a film/show since an IP can be used from anything from a bathroom to a land.

Going into a Tangled bathroom is not going to show your want for Tangled, or if you get motion sick and skip Star Tours even if you love C-3PO. Unlike what Chapek thinks, people aren’t *just* going for a specific IP; the execution of the IP in theme parks is the main impact.

If anything, the benefit would be marginal and not gravitational, so it’s worth exploring but not if it’s going to cost 100’s of millions.

Disney’s recent ‘tech’ endeavors have also been Genie’s ‘My Day’, and before that Fastpass+, so I assume it will not be executed to any benefit.
Good comments. I will add their master vision puts people in their own walled garden, never experiencing something different. Sounds great.

TinkerBelle8878

This sounds a little too Big Brother for my liking. I see no need nor want on my end to connect a trip with Disney+ with the exception of a very large discount on my vacation. Unless you tell me that if I subscribe to Disney+ for the 1.99 rate, watch all the Muppet stuff on it and then cancel it, tells Disney that I like a discount and I want more Muppets in the parks and in entertainment, then fine. But otherwise, if I'm being used for market research, pay me or discount me. I'm not paying for the privlledge.

homerdance

I am still waiting for micky to know my name when I meet him. I am still waiting for IASW to tell me bye. Waiting for so much in galaxy’s edge.

I see no integration that is meaningful between Disney+ and being at a theme park. Sure I ride Peter Pan and I might enjoy a behind the scenes of the show but not AT WDW. Unless they are going to somehow tie my Disney+ subscription to my hotel room, or even let me watch Disney + at my hotel room this is all dumb.

It’s not that these new technologies that Disney is trying to use in the parks are bad, it’s just Disney is Epically bad at it.
I use apps all the time to order ahead. Every place I use mobile order I order my food, they say it will be in 15 minutes and I go pick it up in 15 minutes. At Disney they have found a way to make it incredibly inconvenient. Pick a time to Order. Order. Go to restaurant. Say I am there. Wait. They say my order is ready. I go in the restaurant and wait again for my food to be ready.

I really can’t see how Disney thinks they could/can do this.

Last edited:

EPCOT-O.G.

The company’s obsession with becoming a tech behemoth despite proven failure after proven failure in this realm is really something to behold.
Ex Z - the systemwide crash of MDE this morning.

Again, when they can start fulfilling mobile food orders, which my local three restaurant group can do reliably and without mishap, maybe then start thinking of becoming a Web3 player

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom