Disney Disappointments

mousehockey37

Original Poster
Sitting here conversing with my DGF, we were talking about the food at Disney and saw an older picture of something you could get at the Main St. Bakery. With the renovations, that particular food item is no longer offered and it led me to posting this question:

What is one of the biggest disappointments from Disney?

For myself, I would say the introducing of Starbucks into the parks is a pretty big disappointment. From a business standpoint it's ingenious and they're making a killing off of it. From a person who is on vacation and trying to "escape reality" or at least in a way, alter the reality I'm in (even if just for a few days), it was fun when you saw shops and themed areas that sold items from now, but still fit in with the "lands" they were in. Not so with Starbucks. It's just like any other Starbucks anywhere... Just, inside the Disney Parks.

Another would be the lack of differentiating merchandise. On my trip last month, the day we arrived, we went to Downtown Disney. I went and window shopped to see what items were going to be out in the parks. Low and behold, we went to the parks in the following days and there was everything I saw at Downtown Disney! I said when we got back: For the toy monorails, instead of just selling 2 colors each year, why don't they sell all the train colors and the trains individually as well as in the big box set. If I want to collect all of them, I'd have to get the big set with all the track in it, EACH TIME! That gives me enough track to make probably a rather large scale real life version of the Express and Resort lines. If they just sold the train itself, without all the track included, people who already have enough monorail track at home would maybe be more inclined to purchase just the train to add onto the track they have.

I know there are threads on the my answers I used, but it's more the question I pose to everyone in the beginning. What's your biggest disappointment that you see or are starting to see?

Cmdr_Crimson

For myself, I would say the introducing of Starbucks into the parks is a pretty big disappointment. From a business standpoint it's ingenious and they're making a killing off of it. From a person who is on vacation and trying to "escape reality" or at least in a way, alter the reality I'm in (even if just for a few days), it was fun when you saw shops and themed areas that sold items from now, but still fit in with the "lands" they were in. Not so with Starbucks. It's just like any other Starbucks anywhere... Just, inside the Disney Parks.

Um....Remember Mcdonald's in the parks? Yeah...That was equally worse...http://www.yesterland.com/mcwdw.html

Figaro928

Hopefully the success of the HM merchandise leads to a more varied catalog of merchandise throughout the parks and resorts.

While I'm not a huge fan of Starbucks, their coffee is at least better than NesCafe or Joffreys so.... boo corporate sponsorship with lack of theming BUT, yahhh caffeine addiction!

My biggest disappointment easily is the increase of crowd levels during the "off peak" seasons. Not sure if it is because of word of mouth or the deep discounts or both, but it just flat out sucks. I hate sharing.

Weather_Lady

I miss each park having a clear identity, purpose, and sense of growth. It now feels like HS and Epcot are no longer "about" anything in particular, and like both of those parks are shrinking and becoming more sparse and rinky- instead of expanding or getting better. (For example, the Frozen thing they're shoehorning into Norway should have been a Fantasyland attraction or even a high-octane HS experience, since it doesn't represent Norway or any other real country. Ditto for Avatar, which if belonged anywhere at WDW should have been put in HS (as an attraction taking you "inside the film") or in the Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland (emphasizing the space travel aspect) and not in the AK... and don't get me started on how a Star Wars Land should have already be complete by now, and would be bringing in billions...)

mergatroid

The FP+ system. The old machine distributed paper FP's were great, well the 'system' and fairness was anyway. Came for 3 weeks this year and own AP's but couldn't get one FP+ for SDMT as for every day of our visit 30 days in advance, all FP+'s had gone for it. I also miss the lady who used to model candy in Japan. I used to love watching her performances whilst Mrs M spent way too long in the Japanese shop, now I sit waiting eating a flavoured shaved ice watching families argue about things instead which isn't nearly as fun!

But the most dissapointing thing is I've discovered that Betty Shambles at Disney Studios has been flirting with somebody else!!!

mergatroid

Dole whips. I remember the let down after reading everyone giving them props on here and then trying one myself, a truly disappointing moment :mad:

George Lucas on a Bench

Just as Weather_Lady alluded to above, EPCOT Center used to have a clear theme. It was a tribute to the best aspects of humanity and its accomplishments. Where we've come from, where we're going and who we are. Now it's about cartoons, food and booze, I guess? That Walt Disney Roddenberry-esque optimism and vision of a utopian future is all but gone! Even the newest park, Animal Kingdom, will soon abandon its theme of the planet Earth and its creatures for a ******* fictional movie alien world.

BigTxEars

The fact that they let other people be there during our vacation. Talk about a major inconvenience!

I agree to a point. I would let others in but only after I prescreened them myself for approval via web based profiles with pictures. Let's just say the male to female ratio that day would be one-sided. :geek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom