Disney Dining Plan - Yeah or Nay & Why

Tiggerluver

Family of 5 going to WDW and are considering the Disney Dining Plan. Want to know if you have purchased it before and either liked or didn't like and why. Thanks.

wdwishes2005

Tiggerluver said:
Family of 5 going to WDW and are considering the Disney Dining Plan. Want to know if you have purchased it before and either liked or didn't like and why. Thanks.

although we haven't used it yet, look at it this way... 25 per person per day.
one sit down meal for one person at any normal sit down resaurant including appetizer entree drink and desert=35dollars.

in one meal you save ten bucks at least, just for one person.

Upvote 0

ypcat

We bought it in May, and I liked it. You have already paid, so you don't have to worry about getting the most expensive thing on the menu if you want. Plus you don't have to figure out tip (unless you want to leave extra) or tax.

We saved money over ordering ala carte, but we probably also wouldn't have gotten appetizers and deserts at every sit down meal (it is a LOT of food). Compared to what we wouldhave spent, it probably broke even or we may even have paid more.

The convenience of already having paid and not having more and more vacation expenses pile up as you go makes it a pretty good deal to me. If you go during the free dining plan promotion, even better. I'm just hoping they have one in January.

Upvote 0

Computer Magic

We used the Dining Plan in May and loved it. For us it was cheaper then paying out of pocket. We also eat at places we wouldn't normally eat if we payed as we go.

Upvote 0

ypcat

wdwishes2005 said:
although we haven't used it yet, look at it this way... 25 per person per day.
one sit down meal for one person at any normal sit down resaurant including appetizer entree drink and desert=35dollars.

in one meal you save ten bucks at least, just for one person.

If I recall correctly the plan is $35/adult.

Upvote 0

zuzudog

We liked it...

[font=&quot]We are family of five that used Dining Plan in June.

Random thoughts:<o =""></o>[/font]

[font=&quot]
1) Didn’t have to pull out money for meals. (almost, had to get charros and dole whip. %-))
2) All the cast members that I talked to knew about the plan.<o =""></o>[/font]

[font=&quot]3) You can use snacks at the resorts! I didn’t realize until the second to last day that there are plenty of snacks (fruit included) that we could have been using at the resort. They should have list of snacks that you “purchase”.
4) Ate at restaurants that we would have *never* gone to without the plan.<o =""></o>[/font]

[font=&quot]5) You don’t need to do sit downs every day. We did two sit downs in one day.<o =""></o>[/font]
[font=&quot]6) No matter how much I planned it was hard to keep dining reservations for sit downs. I did start to panic that we might not use all of the sit down meals. Plus it does take time out the day to do it so you need to plan this up front. <o =""></o>[/font]
[font=&quot]7) I have one picky eater in the family so I probably lost money him but was worth it for the rest of the family.<o =""></o>[/font]
[font=&quot]8) Cast Members at the restaurants encourage you (a lot sometimes) to get appetizers and desserts as it increases the total cost of the meal which makes their tip much better. I think we had a couple $120 lunches…
9) Only one really *weird* thing. At MGM it was beastly hot. So I went up to a vendor to get a water (snack). He said he could not take the meal plan because he was a merchendise vendor not a food vendor. So I had to walk around more until I found another vendor. So watch for this. <o =""></o>[/font]

Upvote 0

dandaman

I say, "Yay". While the deal sounds phenomenal in itself, we're getting the Free Dining Plan when we go this August.
It's nice to know we'll save at least $35/day anyways... :D

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

To help clairify...

The Disney Dinning Plan is part of the Magic Your Way Package Plus Dinning vacation package (includes your room accomodations, a Magic Your Way Ticket of your choice and the Disney Dinning Plan) and cannot be purchased separately. This package must be booked at least 3 days in advance. If you already have a room-only reservation, you will need to cancel and rebook as the package. The room-only cancellation penalty (1 night's lodging) will apply if cancelled within 5 days of arrival. Deposits cannot be transferred between a room-only reservation and a vacation package.

The current price of the Magic Your Way Package Plus Dinning for travel in 2005 is:

$35 per guest age 10+ per night,
$10 per guest age 3-9 per night,
plus the cost of your Disney Resort Room and Magic Your Way Tickets

The price for travel in 2006 is:

$38 per guest age 10+ per night,
$11 per guest age 3-9 per night,

All guest in the room must be on the same packages with the same ticket options and entitlements.

All dinning entitlements for your party are pooled together for maximum flexibility and are valid from the moment you register at your resort on your check-in date, until midnight on the date you are scheduled to check-out.

This plan includes:

1 Table Service Meal (appitizer, entree, desert, beverage, tax, and tip)
1 Counter Service Meal (entree, desert, beverage, and tax)
1 Snack (select snack items only)
Per guest age 3+ per night of your stay
All beverages are non-alcoholic

All Character Meals count as 1 table service entitlement.
All Signature Restaurants and Dinner Shows count as 2 table service entitlements.

For a complete list of restuarants and package details click here

Hope this helps! :sohappy:

Upvote 0
My family used the Dining Plan in May and we loved it for many of the reasons stated above. The only thing we would have done differently is made Advanced Reservations before we left home. We had some problems making reservations we got their our first night.

Upvote 0

wdwishes2005

JPVonDrake said:
To help clairify...

The Disney Dinning Plan is part of the Magic Your Way Package Plus Dinning vacation package (includes your room accomodations, a Magic Your Way Ticket of your choice and the Disney Dinning Plan) and cannot be purchased separately. This package must be booked at least 3 days in advance. If you already have a room-only reservation, you will need to cancel and rebook as the package. The room-only cancellation penalty (1 night's lodging) will apply if cancelled within 5 days of arrival. Deposits cannot be transferred between a room-only reservation and a vacation package.

The current price of the Magic Your Way Package Plus Dinning for travel in 2005 is:

$35 per guest age 10+ per night,
$10 per guest age 3-9 per night,

The price for travel in 2006 is:

$38 per guest age 10+ per night,
$11 per guest age 3-9 per night,

All guest in the room must be on the same packages with the same ticket options and entitlements.

All dinning entitlements for your party are pooled together for maximum flexibility and are valid from the moment you register at your resort on your check-in date, until midnight on the date you are scheduled to check-out.

This plan includes:

1 Table Service Meal (appitizer, entree, desert, beverage, tax, and tip)
1 Counter Service Meal (entree, desert, beverage, and tax)
1 Snack (select snack items only)
Per guest age 3+ per night of your stay
All beverages are non-alcoholic

All Character Meals count as 1 table service entitlement.
All Signature Restaurants and Dinner Shows count as 2 table service entitlements.

For a complete list of restuarants and package details click here

Hope this helps! :sohappy:

so there is no way to get the dining plan without the tickets?
we all have APs and would not get tickets.

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

wdwishes2005 said:
so there is no way to get the dining plan without the tickets?
we all have APs and would not get tickets.

Correct. You must purchase a Magic Your Way ticket, but it is any MYW ticket of your choice. Also note you would not be able to use any passholder room-only discount offers on a vacation package.

Another money saving option for you is to purchase the Disney Dinning Experience Card. The card will give you a 20% discount on most Table Service locations for yourself and up to 9 guest. It's availiable to Annual Passholders for $50.00 per year.

:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
No for me.

AP holder so room discount and DDE ment further savings, factor in present exchange rate and the 14 day ticket available in the UK (bought on line at a further discount) and it just didnt make financial sense to do it. We are also having two days at non Disney parks.

I spent a lot of timedoing this to the extent that I was reading on line menus and putting costs in a spread sheet. Sad I know, but hey its all character building.

If you want an easy life with a more or less fixed cost then the plan is a great option. If you know your limitations in food intake (and I do like my grub, butcouldn't eatthat amount each day) and your itinery is varied it may not be such a good idea.

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
No for me.

AP holder so room discount and DDE ment further savings, factor in present exchange rate and the 14 day ticket available in the UK (bought on line at a further discount) and it just didnt make financial sense to do it. We are also having two days at non Disney parks.

I spent a lot of timedoing this to the extent that I was reading on line menus and putting costs in a spread sheet. Sad I know, but hey its all character building.

If you want an easy life with a more or less fixed cost then the plan is a great option. If you know your limitations in food intake (and I do like my grub, butcouldn't eatthat amount each day) and your itinery is varied it may not be such a good idea.

Upvote 0

swimmom

JPVonDrake said:
At table service locations, yes!
Thanks! Many times I tell my daughter no to the shakes & smoothies to keep the cost down. On the dining plan she can have one at each table service meal if she would like. :slurp:

Upvote 0

Shanandty

We just used the plan last week, and absolutly loved it!! We ate soooo much food, and all was very good... with the exception of 50 Prime Time Cafe. It was only ok.

Make sure you have Reservations.... it can be hard to get in to certain places like Le Cellier if you don't have a reservation, and make them later rather than earlier, or you will be still full from lunch!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom