News Disney Dining Plan Returns in 2024

KateKirisit

That hate may be true for some people, but our hate is different. I have spoken with several managers in the past (prior to COVID, obviously) and without exception, they had to find ways to cut costs since the DDP did NOT pay them what their food was costing them to buy. So instead of that good Angus or choice steak, they had to buy select or even commercial grade to cover their cost. Not what you want at a signature restaurant. In addition, because people were able to get that top tier item for no extra cost, the better restaurants, such as Narcoossee's, Citricos, Flying Fish, etc. had hard to find ADRs for them, when prior to the DDP and now, getting in when you want is fairly easy to most of them. And then of course there is the price. In order to make the DDP look better, Disney has raised the prices to ridiculous levels just to make it look like a good deal. That hurts those of us that dine differently and still have to pay cash. So our hate is on multiple levels. Less availability at our favorite TS restaurants, lower food quality and higher prices for us.

Now I have read on the Disney website that certain menu items will now be an additional cash cost in addition to the dining credit. It really should have been that way over a decade ago and maybe the restaurant managers wouldn't have had to lower their food costs to cover themselves. Time will tell if Disney actually does it right as no one should be able to get lobster or a filet mignon for 1 TS credit.

We are DVC members that have been going to WDW since the 70's. We visit at least twice every year and we are huge foodies, but we don't always want a full meal at every sit down TS, so there is no way the DDP ever makes sense for us. We enjoy just having a few appetizers and no entree at many of the TS locations. Now if they would bring back the TiW, we would jump all over that in a heartbeat as that at least brings the prices down to a more reasonable level with the 20% discount at most places. And since we enjoy adult beverages both at the restaurant and the lounges, the TiW saved us that 20% there, so that was worth it for us.

So saying all of this - if someone wants the convenience of prepaying for their meals on their trip - more power to them as long as they understand that the DDP is NOT a discount offer, but simply prepaying SOME of the costs of their meals. They also have to understand that tips are NOT included so please don't forget to tip your wait person for their service, even if you aren't paying cash for the meal.

/rant over
This was incredibly insightful. Thank you!

Patcheslee

I thought the last dining plan included alcohol as well
I've been busy today, but already have our meals broke down for in a few weeks, previously I used it to see if the dining plan saved with our eating habit. Once I get time I'll plug in what the plan would cover if in effect, and see what the results are. I know Space 220 not eligible & Snow White meal this time around would essentially make it very unattractive.

Tha Realest

Well, fun to do a puzzle, let's see

Dinner at Skipper's Canteen:
- hanger steak: $38
- kingaloosh dessert: $9
- margarita: $16.50

Lunch at Columbia Harbor House
- lobster roll: $16.99
- happy haunts milk shake: $7.99

Snack:
- Mickey Bar: $6.25

Total: $94.73 - just about break even
Plus, what’s the likelihood those price points remain static by mid to late 2024

Patcheslee

I've been busy today, but already have our meals broke down for in a few weeks, previously I used it to see if the dining plan saved with our eating habit. Once I get time I'll plug in what the plan would cover if in effect, and see what the results are. I know Space 220 not eligible & Snow White meal this time around would essentially make it very unattractive.
So this is the comparison: DDP 10 days 3 adults: $3012.24 when taxes are added. With our current vacation, it would cover $2355.08 (yes I made family pick their meals ahead of time, usually steak). We would have to pay an additional $265.79 for Space 220, total of $331.39 in tips at 20%, $494.91 for breakfast & approximately $223.33 snacks.
So with DDP= $4104.24 vs $3893.84, a $210.4 lose with the plan.

Weather_Lady

[*edited to fix a mathematical error*]

Oooh, I want to play!

Here's how the math works for 5 days' worth of my family's planned meals in August (2 adults, 2 teens). These are without taking into account any of the discounts we'll be using from our Disney VISA, Landry's Select Club, discount gift cards, etc., which will collectively reduce our out-of-pocket dining costs by about 10%.

I used current menu prices, and average entree costs, except for things I knew my family would order (e.g., my son will always get the duck at Yak & Yeti, I'll order seafood whenever available regardless of price, my daughter will always get the most expensive vegetarian option, we'll rarely order fountain drinks but enjoy sharing an appetizer and sometimes a couple of desserts):

Lunch at Beaches & Cream (TS, entrees, plus 2 desserts to share): $90
Dinner at Raglan Road (TS, entrees, plus an app. and 2 alcoholic beverages): $140
Lunch at Yak & Yeti (TS, entree/bev, plus an app. and 2 alcoholic beverages): $150
Dinner at San Angel Inn (TS, entrees, with 2 alcoholic beverages): $160
Lunch at Nine Dragons (TS, entree/bev, plus 2 desserts): $125
Snack at Space 220 Lounge (4 drinks and 2 apps): $90
Dinner at Gasparilla Island Grill (CS, entree/bev): $55
Lunch at Pecos Bill (CS, entree/bev): $65
Dinner at Hoop-Dee-Doo (TS dinner show, cat. 1, includes gratuity): $280
Lunch at Grand Floridian Cafe (TS, entree/bev) - $100
Dinner at the Boathouse (signature TS, entree/bev, with 2 alcoholic beverages): $180
Snacks (1 pp/pd at $6 each): $144

GRAND TOTAL for 8 TS (2 of them 2-credit places), 2 CS, 24 snacks, and one Lounge visit: $1,579, or with tax, $1,642.

Cost for the DDP for 4 people for 5 days: $1,880, and it wouldn't cover the Lounge visit or 3 of our TS meals, so we'd be paying an ADDITIONAL $650 out-of-pocket (plus more for appetizers, but I'm not bothering with that math), for a grand total of over $2,530 if we bought the DDP. (Wasted for us on the DDP: most dessert entitlements, 3 CS credits, refillable mugs). Of course, we could sacrifice some of our TS meals, the Space 220 Lounge visit, and our appetizers, in order to "fit" what the DDP would provide, but what would be the point? We'd STILL be paying more money, in exchange for downgraded meals that weren't what we wanted.

Last edited:

JD80

Oooh, I want to play!

Here's how the math works for my family's planned meals in August (2 adults, 2 teens). These are before tax, and without considering any of the discounts we'll be using from our Disney VISA, Landry's Select Club, discount gift cards, etc.

I used current menu prices, and average entree costs, except for things I knew my family would order (e.g., my son will always get the duck at Yak & Yeti, my daughter will always get the most expensive vegetarian option):

Lunch at Beaches & Cream (entree/bev, plus 2 desserts to share): $90
Dinner at Raglan Road (entree/bev, plus an app. and 2 alcoholic beverages): $140
Lunch at Yak & Yeti (entree/bev, plus an app. and 2 alcoholic beverages): $150
Dinner at San Angel Inn (entree/bev, plus 2 alcoholic beverages): $160
Lunch at Nine Dragons (entree/bev, plus 2 desserts): $125
Dinner at Gasparilla Island Grill (entree/bev): $55
Lunch at Pecos Bill (entree/bev): $65
Dinner at Hoop-Dee-Doo (cat. 1, includes gratuity): $280
Lunch at Grand Floridian Cafe (entree/bev) - $100
Dinner at the Boathouse (entree/bev, plus alcohol): $180

GRAND TOTAL for 8 TS (2 of them 2-credit places), 2 CS, and one Lounge visit: $1,579.

Cost for the DDP for 4 people for 6 days: $2,256, and wouldn't cover the Lounge visit or our 2-credit dinners, so we'd be paying an ADDITIONAL $550 out-of-pocket!

Not that it'll make up $550 but You didn't use a lot of snacks heh.

Di$neyCPA

Well, fun to do a puzzle, let's see

Dinner at Skipper's Canteen:
- hanger steak: $38
- kingaloosh dessert: $9
- margarita: $16.50

Lunch at Columbia Harbor House
- lobster roll: $16.99
- happy haunts milk shake: $7.99

Snack:
- Mickey Bar: $6.25

Total: $94.73 - just about break even
Three quick ones:
A) Above does not include tax, which it seems that the plan already does (tips are a wash)
B) You could assign some modest value to the resort mug, even if it is only $3-4 for avoided morning beverages
C) The simple answer at MK is lunch or dinner at Crystal Palace for $59 plus a cocktail (average cost $15). That meal alone is almost $79 including tax. Almost any QS meal plus a snack will save, but this assumes you want to eat at Crystal Palace for lunch or dinner…

TheMaxRebo

Not that it'll make up $550 but You didn't use a lot of snacks heh.

Well, looks like at least 5 days for 4 people, so 20 snacks at ~$5/snack is another $100

Plus the refillable mugs (if one gets use out of them)

Like you said, not going to fill the gap but is *something*

TheMaxRebo

Three quick ones:
A) Above does not include tax, which it seems that the plan already does (tips are a wash)
B) You could assign some modest value to the resort mug, even if it is only $3-4 for avoided morning beverages
C) The simple answer at MK is lunch or dinner at Crystal Palace for $59 plus a cocktail (average cost $15). That meal alone is almost $79 including tax. Almost any QS meal plus a snack will save, but this assumes you want to eat at Crystal Palace for lunch or dinner…

True (honestly forgot about Crystal Palace - obviously not our favorite)

On the flip side, I had to so some work to determine what were most expensive items whether those items appealed to me or not

I think still ways to make it work, and these prices likely will be higher next year than they are now, but just becomes a bit harder with each price point and lack of alcohol at quick service in MK makes it that much harder ... And if you have kids who are "Disney adults" or just don't drink alcohol that much harder.

KateKirisit

So this is the comparison: DDP 10 days 3 adults: $3012.24 when taxes are added. With our current vacation, it would cover $2355.08 (yes I made family pick their meals ahead of time, usually steak). We would have to pay an additional $265.79 for Space 220, total of $331.39 in tips at 20%, $494.91 for breakfast & approximately $223.33 snacks.
So with DDP= $4104.24 vs $3893.84, a $210.4 lose with the plan.
This is a fantastic visual! - Thank you so much for this. it helps!

KateKirisit

Oooh, I want to play!

Here's how the math works for my family's planned meals in August (2 adults, 2 teens). These are before tax, and without considering any of the discounts we'll be using from our Disney VISA, Landry's Select Club, discount gift cards, etc.

I used current menu prices, and average entree costs, except for things I knew my family would order (e.g., my son will always get the duck at Yak & Yeti, my daughter will always get the most expensive vegetarian option):

Lunch at Beaches & Cream (entree/bev, plus 2 desserts to share): $90
Dinner at Raglan Road (entree/bev, plus an app. and 2 alcoholic beverages): $140
Lunch at Yak & Yeti (entree/bev, plus an app. and 2 alcoholic beverages): $150
Dinner at San Angel Inn (entree/bev, plus 2 alcoholic beverages): $160
Lunch at Nine Dragons (entree/bev, plus 2 desserts): $125
Dinner at Gasparilla Island Grill (entree/bev): $55
Lunch at Pecos Bill (entree/bev): $65
Dinner at Hoop-Dee-Doo (cat. 1, includes gratuity): $280
Lunch at Grand Floridian Cafe (entree/bev) - $100
Dinner at the Boathouse (entree/bev, plus alcohol): $180

GRAND TOTAL for 8 TS (2 of them 2-credit places), 2 CS, and one Lounge visit: $1,579.

Cost for the DDP for 4 people for 6 days: $2,256, and wouldn't cover the Lounge visit or our 2-credit dinners, so we'd be paying an ADDITIONAL $550 out-of-pocket!
DAMN! - thanks for that visual. very helpful! :) - It's just hard because so many people give examples with kids involved (which my vacation does not--just 2 adults are going) I would assume based on the current pricing that has been released that at $95 pp/per day X 7 days = $1,330 obviously excluding tips (I still feel like that's a good deal for my husband and i) but its nice to see everyone's different break downs of the plan

James J

In the Parks
No
A guest staying 7 nights should value the mug as worth $70? NOT
Fountain drinks are what, $4? So if you were to buy two of those a day for seven days, that's $56. If you have the mug and can refill it as many times as you like with soda and coffee, you can definitely drink at least $70 worth over a week.

Patcheslee

DAMN! - thanks for that visual. very helpful! :) - It's just hard because so many people give examples with kids involved (which my vacation does not--just 2 adults are going) I would assume based on the current pricing that has been released that at $95 pp/per day X 7 days = $1,330 obviously excluding tips (I still feel like that's a good deal for my husband and i) but its nice to see everyone's different break downs of the plan
Previous years, even when DD was 10 we did a character meal or dining event nearly every day, used all QS and snack credits. We only saved a couple hundred because of what we chose. I'd have to update my old computer to get a better figure. If just having to pay out of pocket for a meal vs being covered (220) we lose. Once we have to start paying out of pocket for so many things, it loses the appeal of ease.

TheMaxRebo

I think the easiest thing to do is look at where you would want to eat and what you would want to eat and calculate it out for a few days and see how close you would be getting to spending $95/day .... If getting close probably worth it even if a bit short just for having it prepaid and giving more flexibility to ignore the price on the menus etc

But if you find you are consistently well short or having to "force" picking the most expensive items, then maybe not worth it

cranbiz

A guest staying 7 nights should value the mug as worth $70? NOT
I absolutely agree with you. However, the plan clearly states a Resort Refillable mug is part of the daily price. So if purchased for one day, the mug is worth $10.

In my example, If you took the additional day price of $10 for a mug and broke it up into $7.50 additional value for a TS and $2.50 additional value for QS, a 2 credit meal at BOG is still way more than paying OOP (by $25).

"Everyone in the travel party (ages 3 and up) will receive 1 Table-Service meal per night, 1 Quick-Service meal per night and 1 snack/nonalcoholic drink per night of their package stay*—along with 1 Resort-refillable drink mug**. Meals and snacks can be redeemed at any time during the stay.
* Specific number of meals and snacks are determined by the number of nights included in the package stay. Meals and snacks can be redeemed at any time during your stay. Unused meals and snacks will roll over day to day and expire at midnight on day of checkout. Meals and snacks are nontransferable between party members.
** Resort-refillable mugs are eligible for refills from self-service beverage islands at any Disney Resort hotel Quick-Service location.
"

TheMaxRebo

Fountain drinks are what, $4? So if you were to buy two of those a day for seven days, that's $56. If you have the mug and can refill it as many times as you like with soda and coffee, you can definitely drink at least $70 worth over a week.

I wish the mugs worked for refills in the parks as well, would provide a lot more value than just at resorts

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom