News Disney Dining Plan Returns in 2024

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Some guests failing to pay a gratuity while on the Dining Plan is a real thing, to this day. Certainly not as rampant as in the early days of the DDP, but it still happens too frequently.
I don't disagree. However all that was asked was how to tip on ddp. Several others answered with the information. No need to start a tipping "discussion".

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Some guests failing to pay a gratuity while on the Dining Plan is a real thing, to this day. Certainly not as rampant as in the early days of the DDP, but it still happens too frequently.
And that stiffs the workers….

Explain to ferret that a “worker” is the pleb that brings the magical drink to him?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't disagree. However all that was asked was how to tip on ddp. Several others answered with the information. No need to start a tipping "discussion".
So no discussion on the discussion board? Got it

There is really nothing new about this UNTIL there are prices and policy updates

It’s all been said. And we’ve reoccupied the same trenches

cranbiz

My first visit with my family, way back when Disney did provide a real magical experience (1996 ish), They had an add on to the package called the Silver Plan (I think that was what it was called). It was a very inexpensive add on which had almost no limitations, had recreation benefits and covered all TS restaurants and the Luau plus tips. My kids were mostly young and my oldest was young at heart. Lots of character meals, had breakfast at CRT, and did the Luau.

That was a heck of a deal. Now, I wouldn't touch any dining plan with a 10' pole. They don't work for me now.

I miss the old days.

Basil of Baker Street

I have a dumb question about the DDP.

We have never used it as for me it was too much work scheduling ADR's in the first place with our fam of 5 that far in advance given how we like to pivot constantly during our touring days. To get the value, we would have had to schedule enough character meals and do other research to make sure we were getting our $'s worth. No shade to those who use it and enjoy this aspect of WDW.

How does tipping work? You get the receipt showing the cost without the dining plan and then add a tip and scan your MB?
Yes. That is another way the DDP gets you. People tend to order the most expensive items on the menu to get value and therefore *should* be tipping based on what the bill would have been. Where if they were paying out of pocket, one could order less expensive items and tip off of that amount.

hopemax

My first visit with my family, way back when Disney did provide a real magical experience (1996 ish), They had an add on to the package called the Silver Plan (I think that was what it was called). It was a very inexpensive add on which had almost no limitations, had recreation benefits and covered all TS restaurants and the Luau plus tips. My kids were mostly young and my oldest was young at heart. Lots of character meals, had breakfast at CRT, and did the Luau.

That was a heck of a deal. Now, I wouldn't touch any dining plan with a 10' pole. They don't work for me now.

I miss the old days.
I’ll jump on the good ol days bandwagon with you. Didn’t do what you did but my first 2 trips to WDW in 1995 & 1997 were Fall Fantasy promotions. It included a daily breakfast, so we did daily character breakfasts.

My only DDP experience was being the recipient of free meals because I was touring with a friend who was staying onsite and had free dining and couldn’t use all her credits.

MickeyLuv'r

Oh yes deciding on a $25 plate instead of a $35 plate to save that $2 tip money is a huge way DDP gets you.
It isn't the $2 tip, IMO.
And to be clear, I would not use the same wording to say the DDP 'gets you.'

But I have also been a forum member since 2004. I have seen a great many threads on the topic. Another Disney forum specializes in providing lists of the most expensive menu options under the title, "How to maximize the value of dining credits." Several websites written by TA's have also offered similar 'insider' and "WDW Expert" tips.

As such, I am inclined to say WDW knows very well that this is a common 'strategy.'

And we all know WDW wants to make money.

We also all know many parkgoers turn their brains off at WDW, because - VACATION!

WDW knows all this and more when they write menus.

Make no mistake, menu design is a profession.

Aries1975

I’ll jump on the good ol days bandwagon with you. Didn’t do what you did but my first 2 trips to WDW in 1995 & 1997 were Fall Fantasy promotions. It included a daily breakfast, so we did daily character breakfasts.

My only DDP experience was being the recipient of free meals because I was touring with a friend who was staying onsite and had free dining and couldn’t use all her credits.

I miss the old days.

We stayed at the Yacht Club for our honeymoon in 1998 with “the grand plan.” I may have my KTTW card in its sleeve somewhere. It included 3 meals a day and 2 snacks. I do not think there was a differentiation between “table” and “quick” then. The only things it did not include was alcohol and the food and wine festival booths, not that we even thought about eating more.

We went to both Hoop-Dee-Doo and the Luau; the talented Hawaiian woman made me a lovely flower comb for my hair. It was only my second or third time experiencing the Teppanyaki style of cooking, and the Coral Reef still had lobster. Since we were staying there, we ate at both Yachtsman and Cape May. Cape May might have been the only buffet we visited as Tusker House was still just rotisserie.

The package also included a choice of one big thing per day. Things unheard of in any package today like a golf lesson and a round on the walking course, a class at the Disney Institute, dinner (no alcohol) at Victoria & Alberts, a couples massage, or Cirque tickets.

Could you imagine coming back from a trip today how people would react to me "wasting park time" in a cooking class? Now, the afternoon tee time on the walking course probably required more thought, but we were not going to get up too early after closing the Jazz club on Pleasure Island. I am sure I am missing something, but the trip hooked my husband for life.

Last edited:

TheMaxRebo

That could be defcon 2

Don’t say that. Shut your brain down and yield to Zod’s opinion 😡

Defcon 2 meaning the highlights hated "select character dining"?

In the past Cinderella's Royal Table was always 2 so could just mean that .... BUT I could see them adding more such as Akershus which is currently $41 for kids for lunch/dinner. The kids dining plan cost, when it was last here was ~$31/day - so unless they are upping that to like $50 I could see them making something like Akershus 2 credits

Same with like Storybook Dining which is $39/kid ... And both of those are generally not easy to get an ADR for

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Defcon 2 meaning the highlights hated "select character dining"?

In the past Cinderella's Royal Table was always 2 so could just mean that .... BUT I could see them adding more such as Akershus which is currently $41 for kids for lunch/dinner. The kids dining plan cost, when it was last here was ~$31/day - so unless they are upping that to like $50 I could see them making something like Akershus 2 credits

Same with like Storybook Dining which is $39/kid ... And both of those are generally not easy to get an ADR for
Essentially…yes

Pretty much the only defense of how it’s not an overpayment…and even that is wonky…is character meals. Which isn’t a good “value”…it just uses a $20ish per person surcharge to make the math more dining plan advantageous…

So let’s say the “popular” character spots are now 2?
So like…tusker house…chef mickeys…ohana..that stupid thing they ruined artists point with…the fish stink place In Epcot…

That’s “defcon 2” for dining plan.

And incase you didn’t catch the stock ticker yesterday…they got PROBLEMS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom