Disney Dining Plan question

JimboJones123

We are staying for 10 days, and have a 4 year old. We used the dining plan last year, and our 3 year old was able to order off the adult menu a few times. This year, there seems to be a note that 3-9 year olds MUST order off the kids menu. Don't get me wrong, my little buckaroo love mac and cheese as much as the next kid, but 8 meals of it, plus 5 burgers, 4 chicken fingers, 2 pizza and 1 pbj can get really old for a kid. She liked getting spagetti at the food court.. and ordering a nicer meal every once and a while. It's not like we would go to get Filet Mignon each meal, but for 10 days it would be nice if we weren't restricted by the pizza/burger/hotdog/chfinger/pbj for 20 meals in a week. Is this a new restriction.. or are they still "kinda" flexable about it? When she orders off the adult menu, she doesn't even get an appitizer anyways. Just wondering if we need to select more buffets so were not clogging her with the same stuff.

Yellow Shoes

My understanding is that if there is a separate kid's menu, she must order off it. Although buffets will have a kiddie section, she can eat anything she wants.

Some of the kid's menu offerings are a little more interesting:
Tusker House: chicken drumstick, mashed potatoes, applesauce (still chicken, but not fried and no french fries)
Flame Tree: baked chicken wings, applesauce, corn on the cob
Brown Derby: fried gouper strips
Coral Reef: grilled Mahi, mashed potatoes, green beans
Le Cellier: 6 oz steak
Nine Dragons: sweet 'n sour chicken
Rose & Crown: bangers and mash, cottage pie, fish & chips
Liberty Tree: Salmon and mashed potatoes, turkey and mashed potatoes
Plaza Restaurant: turkey sandwich, mini chef's salad

The thought of a kid eating 5 straight days of chicken fingers is yucky to me as well--the kids really don't seem to mind.

Upvote 0

JimboJones123

Original Poster
It's just that we went to Melrose and she got a REAL pizza last year, and at nine dragons, she doesn't like sweet and sour chix, but LOVES chinese... last year they never really had a problem with it.. the points were just seperated in snack/Table/counter, and not by age though... just wondering if that's still so?

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

I would just be nice to the waiter/waitress and say she doesn't see anything on the child menu they like and ask if the child could have whatever item it is from the adult menu, but in a smaller portion, e.g., at Nine Dragons they could definitely do that. I think they have to put that in their so the dining plan doesn't get abused because as you know all too well there are many people out there who will abuse a plan and then the plan ultimately becomes too expensive for us mere mortals or eliminated entirely.

Upvote 0

JimboJones123

Original Poster
shoppingnut said:
I would just be nice to the waiter/waitress and say she doesn't see anything on the child menu they like and ask if the child could have whatever item it is from the adult menu, but in a smaller portion, e.g., at Nine Dragons they could definitely do that. I think they have to put that in their so the dining plan doesn't get abused because as you know all too well there are many people out there who will abuse a plan and then the plan ultimately becomes too expensive for us mere mortals or eliminated entirely.

sure, i understand, but if it is the kid eating -- i'd hope it wouldn't be an issue. besides, the kid loves sliced beef at flame tree -- baked chix wings???????? WTHeck???

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

JimboJones123 said:
sure, i understand, but if it is the kid eating -- i'd hope it wouldn't be an issue. besides, the kid loves sliced beef at flame tree -- baked chix wings???????? WTHeck???

I would think at counter service is isn't going to make a difference, since I believe they just keep track of CS meals purchased and not whether it is adult/child. I know this was they way it was last August when we went and they had that same disclaimer that if there is a child menu the kid has to order it from there.

Upvote 0

bhg469

shoppingnut said:
I would think at counter service is isn't going to make a difference, since I believe they just keep track of CS meals purchased and not whether it is adult/child. I know this was they way it was last August when we went and they had that same disclaimer that if there is a child menu the kid has to order it from there.

You make a good point. The child doesn't have to be present for the order so i don't think that would be a problem. Its unfair to expect a kid to order standard boring kid food because disney thinks all kids are picky eaters.

Upvote 0
Last August, we used the dining plan with four children. Two under 9, two over 9. The CM at the POR told me that I could order the little ones anything they wanted that they really didn't have to order from the child's menu (they wanted chicken strips, not chicken nuggets). At the table restaurants they did have to order from the chidren's menu. The older children really disliked everything on the adult menu and wanted the chicken strips, not on the adult menu and the waitress brought them an adult portion. So ask, every CM was really helpful. The plan is awesome.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom