Disney Dining Plan - Little Upside............Massive Downside

DarthVader

Sith Lord
My kids are now "adults in the eyes of Disney and so the meal plan makes even less sense for us. They still eat many meals off the kids menu, and paying for for 4 adults makes little sense.

I'm not getting the convenience argument as well. If you're staying in the park, you use the magic bands anyways. If you choose to not attach a credit card to the band, then take a credit card or cash. I never go anywhere without my wallet, besides there's no way spending hundreds more because is worth it in the name of convenience - at least to me.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Not having to carry a wallet or cash on me to the parks, not everyone has charging privileges on their magic bands

?
Admission media requires additional documentation in case there is an issue at the turnstiles.
Purchase of alcoholic beverages requires identification.
Purchase of non-food items requires legal tender or room charging privileges on your magic band.
Purchase of food items you not included on your meal plan require legal tender or room charging privileges on your magic band.
AP discounts require your AP card in addition to your Magicband.

Hockey89

?
Admission media requires additional documentation in case there is an issue at the turnstiles.
Purchase of non-food items requires legal tender or room charging privileges on your magic band.
Purchase of food items you not included on your meal plan require legal tender or room charging privileges on your magic band.
Yeah, the comment didn't make sense at all....

MickeyMomV

If you choose to not attach a credit card to the band, then take a credit card or cash.

Actually attaching a Credit Card to your Magic Band is not a choice because it is not something you can do. Charging privileges on your MB allows you to charge items to your room. Not to a Credit Card. From there you can pay for the room charges however you want.
I don't get the "convenience" argument. What's so inconvenient about paying for your meal as you finish? It's just a matter of course for me.
The convenience piece come is where everything is paid for before you leave for your trip. There is no worrying about making sure you have room on a credit card or gift card or making sure you are rationing out your cash to make sure all of your meals are covered. All you have to pay for is your tips. There is no thinking (atleast when we did it) of what you want to order, you just order it. We used to do the "Free" dining or the Play Stay and Dine and there was never a trip that we did not come out ahead with the plan, and NO we did not always get the most expensive items. Unfortunately, since all of the increases we no longer see a big advantage to it unless you are getting it on some sort of promo.

Actually attaching a Credit Card to your Magic Band is not a choice because it is not something you can do. Charging privileges on your MB allows you to charge items to your room. Not to a Credit Card. From there you can pay for the room charges however you want.

The convenience piece come is where everything is paid for before you leave for your trip. There is no worrying about making sure you have room on a credit card or gift card or making sure you are rationing out your cash to make sure all of your meals are covered. All you have to pay for is your tips. There is no thinking (atleast when we did it) of what you want to order, you just order it. We used to do the "Free" dining or the Play Stay and Dine and there was never a trip that we did not come out ahead with the plan, and NO we did not always get the most expensive items. Unfortunately, since all of the increases we no longer see a big advantage to it unless you are getting it on some sort of promo.

"All you have to pay for is your tips." THAT'S RIGHT! I had forgotten that! ...so then there is NO reason to do the meal plan. I gotta get my wallet out anyway...

Raineman

The convenience piece come is where everything is paid for before you leave for your trip. There is no worrying about making sure you have room on a credit card or gift card or making sure you are rationing out your cash to make sure all of your meals are covered. All you have to pay for is your tips. There is no thinking (at least when we did it) of what you want to order, you just order it. We used to do the "Free" dining or the Play Stay and Dine and there was never a trip that we did not come out ahead with the plan, and NO we did not always get the most expensive items. Unfortunately, since all of the increases we no longer see a big advantage to it unless you are getting it on some sort of promo.
This statement is right on target, at least for some of the people, including us, who get the DDP. I know, when I book my trip to WDW months in advance, how much I am going to pay for meals. The only unaccounted items for our week at WDW will be souvenirs and any snacks we buy outside of the DDP, Do we end up paying more for the DDP than we might if we paid out of pocket? Possibly, but unless this difference is more than $100-$200, it doesn't worry me too much. But apparently, us DDP users are the cause of everything that is wrong with WDW food prices/food quality, according to some on here.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
This statement is right on target, at least for some of the people, including us, who get the DDP. I know, when I book my trip to WDW months in advance, how much I am going to pay for meals. The only unaccounted items for our week at WDW will be souvenirs and any snacks we buy outside of the DDP, Do we end up paying more for the DDP than we might if we paid out of pocket? Possibly, but unless this difference is more than $100-$200, it doesn't worry me too much. But apparently, us DDP users are the cause of everything that is wrong with WDW food prices/food quality, according to some on here.
I thought it was ESPN :cautious:

Dave B

?
Not sure what you mean on these, they don't apply to me for sure, I never have to carry a wallet and it is great, never needed an id at the gates, maybe because I'm 45, but have not been id for alcohol in a long time ( maybe some of the grey on my head)

Dave B

?
Not sure what you mean on these, they don't apply to me for sure, I never have to carry a wallet and it is great, never needed an id at the gates, maybe because I'm 45, but have not been id for alcohol in a long time ( maybe some of the grey on my head)

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Well I'm 53 and have required the IDs even as a passholder.

Andrew M

We're doing the Deluxe dining plan coming up this November.. we have 2 adults, 1 4yr old, an almost 3yr old (perfect timing on the trip!) and a 1 year old. The 4 and 1 yr old will eat anything you put infront of them, the 2 yr old not so much. We're going with the deluxe because kids under 3 eat free at all buffets, most of which are character meals. So with at least 2 table service buffets every day and a couple of the double credit reservations mixed in, it'll definitely save us a little money. Plus my kids are too young to go all out at the parks all day, and the hour or so to sit will be a good break for them.

Even if we end up breaking even, I think the 'all inclusive' feel you get with not worrying about meal prices makes it worth it in my opinion. Of course with older kids or adults who don't want to waste valuable ride time in a restaurant, I can definitely see it being a burden.

Raineman

I have always felt the DDP promotes gluttony. You've paid for it, you may as well eat it, even if you don't want it.
How is that any different than paying for a meal after you eat? Restaurants won't give you a discount if you leave some food on your plate. And if you get the DDP, but don't get the dessert a couple of times, is that $15 or $20 you spent for food you didn't order really going to break the bank? IMO, if you have to nickle and dime every aspect of a WDW vacation, that vacation is probably beyond your means to begin with.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom