Disney Dining Plan For 2008

walt

Original Poster
Hello I just wanted to know what you guys think about the new dining plan for 2008 as you all know one of Disney worlds new policies is that an 18% gratuities will be added to every food bill at any sit down restaurants in the Walt Disney world resort no matter what your party size is and also the dining plan will no longer cover the gratuities. I find it stupid that they will obligate you to tip 18% of the amount of the bill; I mean what if the service you got was garbage you still have to give 18%. I loved the dining plan when they introduced it because it included everything but now I find that the dining plan is no good no more and also 18% is way too much tip considering the food is overpriced, Anyways tell what you think

disney fan
jeremie

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I loved the dining plan when they introduced it because it included everything but now I find that the dining plan is no good no more and also 18% is way too much tip considering the food is overpriced, Anyways tell what you think

disney fan
jeremie

I guess my first response is that if you get service quality bad enough that you do not feel that you should leave at least 18%, you should be talking to the management. We now regularly tip 20% and up to 25% or more if the service was really great (example would be Joel at 50s Prime Time. He was the best server we had on our last visit and he was tipped allot more than 20%).

Second, your tip should not be a reflection of the quality of your dinner. If your dinner was not the quality that you thought it should be, you should tell your server so they can attempt to resolve the problem for you. If they dont, then thats where you penalize them with less gratuity.

Third, you are at a resort. You are going to pay resort prices for anything that you do. What you tip should be included in your plans for what you spend. If you can not afford to leave a decent tip for someone that provides you good service, you really should not be eating where you are eating at. Thats just my opinion.

Finally, its Disney. They own the parks and resorts, and they can do what they want with them. If you dont like it, dont go. It will be one less person to take up a ADR.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Hello I just wanted to know what you guys think about the new dining plan for 2008 as you all know one of Disney worlds new policies is that an 18% gratuities will be added to every food bill at any sit down restaurants in the Walt Disney world resort no matter what your party size is and also the dining plan will no longer cover the gratuities. I find it stupid that they will obligate you to tip 18% of the amount of the bill; I mean what if the service you got was garbage you still have to give 18%. I loved the dining plan when they introduced it because it included everything but now I find that the dining plan is no good no more and also 18% is way too much tip considering the food is overpriced, Anyways tell what you think

disney fan
jeremie
You have mixed up two different pieces of information:

1) DDP is no longer going to pay an 18% tip for meals.

2) DDE is now going to start charging an 18% tip for TS meals receiving the DDE discount [not CS or Snacks].

DDP you will be allowed to tip whatever your little heart desires or nothing if you see fit.

DDE will add an 18% tip [calculated before the application of the 20% DDE discount].

bugsbunny

I agee that WDW is a resort and they are charging resort prices. However, your statement that the rest of us are perceived as not smart enough to realize this fact is basically arrogance, especially when you follow up with other bonehead statement. (Yes, I called it arrogant and bonehead):

Finally, its Disney. They own the parks and resorts, and they can do what they want with them. If you dont like it, dont go. It will be one less person to take up a ADR.

What is that? If you dont like it, dont go? You sound like an 8 year old? Are you? I figure you must be for I can't imagine how an educated adult can look at the DDP 2007 compared to 2008 and not say "And how is this improvement saving me money?" You almost sound like you are taking personal offence to someone talking bad about DDP when you imply that it would be better FOR YOU if they just stayed home. Nice!

We lost an appetizer and lost the 18% automatic gratuity....but the price went down ONE DOLLAR. And at the end, I'm still tipping 20% out of pocket!!

Uh, how does that equal out to being an improvement in value? If anything, the price actually WENT UP aobut 20-25% when you look at the amount of value we are now getting as compared to before.

And let me get this straight? The meal stinks and that the server should take care of that. That would be easy...but since the service has gone downhill so much with all the restaurants overbooked, good luck with that. If you see your server more than every 15 minutes during a meal, good for you! I can say without a doubt they the servers are too overworked and its gone downhill recently.

And how do you think that there will be less ADR's? There's probably going to be about the same. Just becuase less people aren't doing the DDP doesn't mean they are NOT going to eat! They will just have to pay out of pocket.

And just for the record, I was a busboy for 2 years at a high class restaurant while finishing high school. I saw first hand what it took to provide excellent service no matter how bad a day you were having or what mood you were in. Since then I basically tip 15% for marginal service and the sky is the limit if you kick ______. I actually do understand and appreciate what it takes to be a server in a super busy over priced eatery.

toystoryma

couldnt you just eat a buffets instead, that way you get all you want, and you dont feel like you're losing an appetizer or feel like you're not getting your $'s worth?

I personally would probably just make more buffet ddrs, boma, and cape may cafe, some more character meals? I think that would work out so noone would feel ripped off i guess..

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I agee that WDW is a resort and they are charging resort prices. However, your statement that the rest of us are perceived as not smart enough to realize this fact is basically arrogance, especially when you follow up with other bonehead statement. (Yes, I called it arrogant and bonehead):
Not sure I know which statement you are referring to, since I didnt say anything that indicated that I thought everyone else on WDWMagic ignorant.

What is that? If you dont like it, dont go? You sound like an 8 year old? Are you? I figure you must be for I can't imagine how an educated adult can look at the DDP 2007 compared to 2008 and not say "And how is this improvement saving me money?" You almost sound like you are taking personal offence to someone talking bad about DDP when you imply that it would be better FOR YOU if they just stayed home. Nice!

We lost an appetizer and lost the 18% automatic gratuity....but the price went down ONE DOLLAR. And at the end, I'm still tipping 20% out of pocket!!

Uh, how does that equal out to being an improvement in value? If anything, the price actually WENT UP aobut 20-25% when you look at the amount of value we are now getting as compared to before.

And let me get this straight? The meal stinks and that the server should take care of that. That would be easy...but since the service has gone downhill so much with all the restaurants overbooked, good luck with that. If you see your server more than every 15 minutes during a meal, good for you! I can say without a doubt they the servers are too overworked and its gone downhill recently.

And how do you think that there will be less ADR's? There's probably going to be about the same. Just becuase less people aren't doing the DDP doesn't mean they are NOT going to eat! They will just have to pay out of pocket.

And just for the record, I was a busboy for 2 years at a high class restaurant while finishing high school. I saw first hand what it took to provide excellent service no matter how bad a day you were having or what mood you were in. Since then I basically tip 15% for marginal service and the sky is the limit if you kick ______. I actually do understand and appreciate what it takes to be a server in a super busy over priced eatery.

Um, ok, well, you really put me in my place...:rolleyes:

DisneyparkFreak

You have mixed up two different pieces of information:

1) DDP is no longer going to pay an 18% tip for meals.

2) DDE is now going to start charging an 18% tip for TS meals receiving the DDE discount [not CS or Snacks].

DDP you will be allowed to tip whatever your little heart desires or nothing if you see fit.

DDE will add an 18% tip [calculated before the application of the 20% DDE discount].

OKay... So i know what the DDP is but what is the DDE? I've never heard about this, and is it worth it?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
OKay... So i know what the DDP is but what is the DDE? I've never heard about this, and is it worth it?

DDE is a card that I believe is limited to only Annual Passholders and State Resident Passholders that gives you 20% off food and drink at many table service locations on property. It also includes complimentary valet parking at the resorts when there for dining.

blondie27

I was of the understanding that the 18% tip was going to be added to every TS meal, including buffets. This includes DDP, DDE and plain old cash. We usually eat in our suite for everything except counter service for lunch, but we would usually splurge once or twice a visit to eat at a character buffet and someplace like Sci-Fi. Does anybody know exactly what TS meals are going to be charged an 18% tip?:)

cruellafan

Third, you are at a resort. You are going to pay resort prices for anything that you do. What you tip should be included in your plans for what you spend. If you can not afford to leave a decent tip for someone that provides you good service, you really should not be eating where you are eating at. Thats just my opinion.

Wow that was a bit harsh :rolleyes: Also I did not see where the original poster said they couldn't afford a 18% tip.

I think a lot of us don't like Disney telling us how much we will tip for a meal in their parks or resorts. I am not tipping 18% if the service sucks and thats that. I will ask to speak to a manager and I will explain why they aren't getting that tip amount. Also several of the resort/park restaurants are buffet and in the real world I don't tip 18%-20% for someone to bring me a few drinks.

I agree with your post.

DisneyparkFreak

DDE is a card that I believe is limited to only Annual Passholders and State Resident Passholders that gives you 20% off food and drink at many table service locations on property. It also includes complimentary valet parking at the resorts when there for dining.

thanks, you had me worried there about the tip. My wife and I usually do the DPP just because we can manage it better then cash or CC/DC. good to know i still have control of the tip. Too bad that it isn't included anymore. Has anyone noticed the level of service improving since the servers are no longer automatically tipped.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I think a lot of us don't like Disney telling us how much we will tip for a meal in their parks or resorts. I am not tipping 18% if the service sucks and thats that. I will ask to speak to a manager and I will explain why they aren't getting that tip amount. Also several of the resort/park restaurants are buffet and in the real world I don't tip 18%-20% for someone to bring me a few drinks.

The practice of adding 18% automatically to a check is becoming more common. If you dont think that the person that served you did an 18% job, then you should be talking to management. Thats just my opinion.

Sam02

I was of the understanding that the 18% tip was going to be added to every TS meal, including buffets. This includes DDP, DDE and plain old cash. We usually eat in our suite for everything except counter service for lunch, but we would usually splurge once or twice a visit to eat at a character buffet and someplace like Sci-Fi. Does anybody know exactly what TS meals are going to be charged an 18% tip?:)

The automatic gratuity will be added to: DDE card members, CM's who use their discount, and parties of 6 or more.

The only way people who pay with cash, credit card, or with DDP get charged the automatic gratuity is if their party has 6 or more people in it.

All TS restuarants are affected by this, but again only on the above criteria. This includes all buffet style restaurants and any alcohol ordered.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

Computer Magic

The practice of adding 18% automatically to a check is becoming more common. If you dont think that the person that served you did an 18% job, then you should be talking to management. Thats just my opinion.
Some people don't like to cause a scene while on vacation. Just deduct some of the tip, move on and enjoy the day.

Otherwise, it will become a waiter said/customer said a bunch of finger pointing and ed off people. :shrug:

walt

Original Poster
Disney Dining

I dont know whats wrong with you people are if you just can't read posts properly. I ask for an opinion, KEYWORD PEOPLE OPINION. My post does not ask you to comment other than what you think about that subject nor does my post state I cant afford that. So please give your opinion on the subject, if you feel its for 9 years old well go post somewhere else.

Also for you people who dont know the dining plan was established to attract low revenue and mid revenue families in the parks. If you look at the attendance records you will see a differenece in the years 2006 2007 the attendance went up now from 2008 and on the dining plan will get worst and worst every year with less restaurants participating and ect.. until it is gone so I guess 8.8 billion dollars in revenues was not enough this year.

calismic

My boyfriend and I have used the DDP for our past 2 trips. While I definitely agree the $1 compensation for the loss of an Appetizer and tip is insulting, the overall savings is still worth it. I kept all of our receipts and calculated what we would have paid had we not had the dining plan. I believe the savings was somewhere around $400. Even with the changes, we are still saving ~$200.

SallyShine

Two questions: Do you think they will let you substitute a desert for the appetizer? Also, if I don't have any add on's to my meal (alcoholic drinks) and my bill is zero, how will I put a tip on my cc? Will they present a bill with zero due and a line to add the tip? Just curious.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom