Disney Develops New "Floating Omnimover"

Hedwig's Keeper

Original Poster
Disney has developed a "floating omnimover." Disney summarizes the new ride technology as:

The inventors recognized that one potential way to create a new and very different omnimover ride would be to create a floating or water-based omnimover ride. With that concept or idea in mind, the present description describes a boat ride system (or omnimover water ride) that provides a high capacity ride with smaller boats (e.g., floating vehicles with 2 to 4 riders or the like) that move in an ongoing or continuous manner and substantially constant speeds. In this regard, the ride system may be thought of as a floating omnimover.

It is my guess that this technology will be used first for a Pirates ride in Shanghai but it could be for a project in DLR or WDW. My guess is as good as yours but the ride technology looks awesome. I would be very happy to see this in Orlando first.

http://www.google.com/patents/US201...a=X&ei=Kv8jUY2QC4iGrgGuq4HoCg&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAA
US20130025491A1-20130131-D00000.png

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
I must be missing something. Isn't that what Splash Mountain log cars are??:confused:

An omnimover is a continuous load/unload ride system, meaning it doesn't stop. The logs on Splash Mountain have to stop to load and unload, whereas Haunted Mansion ride vehicles are constantly in motion, even when people are getting in and out of them. This is the same concept, only using boats in water.

Skyway

I recall the leaked Avatar drawings showed a boat flume, although I don't think they were in a chain.

I also recall someone saying the unnamed DL Frontierland attraction was going to be water based.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Looks interesting, but when are they going to start implementing the handcap accessible ride vehicles that can be rotated into the moving "chain" of omni-movers?

This is really what is need to make an omnimover work in this day. I know we stop at least once every ride on Buzz and the HM etc so they can help people in and out of the cars. DL has the special loading trains for GAC users at Space Mountain.

Go to 1:00 to see it in action

mickey2008.1

It seems like the cars would be constantly bumping each other giving it a not so pleasant ride. Wheras other omnimovers do not because they are on tracks.

Mammymouse

An omnimover is a continuous load/unload ride system, meaning it doesn't stop. The logs on Splash Mountain have to stop to load and unload, whereas Haunted Mansion ride vehicles are constantly in motion, even when people are getting in and out of them. This is the same concept, only using boats in water.

Thanks for the info. So I'm thinking this new omnimover is supposed to be a big improvement, and I'm not trying to be a smart butt, but what is the big advantage to the omnimover? I would think the Splash system would be an easier control for loading - no??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom