Disney Cruise

mraphael

Original Poster
We are going on our first Disney Cruise in less than a month. (We WON the cruise through a local radio station). Any tips and suggestions for making it smooth sailing for us? We have a 6 year old boy and a 23 month old daughter.

Phonedave

We are going on our first Disney Cruise in less than a month. (We WON the cruise through a local radio station). Any tips and suggestions for making it smooth sailing for us? We have a 6 year old boy and a 23 month old daughter.

How great for you !!!!!

Just some tips, in no specific order

1) Book things like shore excursions on line as soon as you can. Book things like Paolo and spa treatments as soon as you board. Especially if you have a day at sea (you don't say how long the cruise is)

2) Fill out all of your stuff on line - all your paperwork etc.

3) You don't need passports, but having them is a level of insurance. Since this is a last minute thing, if you don't have them, don't worry, but be sure to bring along a birth certificate for everyone. Get them now if you can't find yours. No photocopies either. Originals, or certified copies from your county clerk / bureau of vital statistics.

4) It goes without saying, fly down the day BEFORE your cruise, not the day of.

5) The earlier you can get on that ship, the sooner your cruise starts. If possible do not rely on Disney transportation to get you to the ship (it may be part of your winning package though). They will get you there on time, but on their time. The ship 'opens' sometime around noon for a 5 PM sailing. If the Disney bus gets you there at 3, you will have plenty of time to board, but you missed out on 3 hours of buffets, exploring, pool time, and registering for the spa etc. Better to use your own arranged transportation (taxi, town car, etc) and have them get you to the port when YOU specify.

6) When you board the ship, your room will NOT be ready. It is sort of like a plane. You have checked luggage and carry-ons. When you room is ready (they are all ready at the same time, its like a rope drop) your luggage will be in your room (or on its way shortly). So pack that carry on with swimsuits, sunscreen, and of course stuff for your kids.

I am sure I will think of more, but thats it off the top of my head for now.

-dave

tiaragirl

Dave gave some great advice! Agreeing on all fronts, especially about packing a carry on with bathing suits. You'll be able to drop off your stuff, but your luggage is rarely there right away (I was lucky last time, but I think it's because my luggage was 'real tree' camp and they were afraid I'd go all baraco on them if I didn't have it! Haha).

Also, the kids clubs will be great for your 6 year old. There is so much to do! The first time we cruised my sister was 6, and she absolutely loved it. You make a lot of friends (I was 10, so I too participated in one of the clubs) and there are specific activities.

I'd also suggest bringing hats for the kids, and a fairly light cover up for Castaway Cay. It's hot. And it can get dangerous pretty quick being out in that kind of sun, even if you're smart. The more coverage, the better!

And eat as much as possible, that goes without saying!

Phonedave

Dave gave some great advice! Agreeing on all fronts, especially about packing a carry on with bathing suits. You'll be able to drop off your stuff, but your luggage is rarely there right away (I was lucky last time, but I think it's because my luggage was 'real tree' camp and they were afraid I'd go all baraco on them if I didn't have it! Haha).

Also, the kids clubs will be great for your 6 year old. There is so much to do! The first time we cruised my sister was 6, and she absolutely loved it. You make a lot of friends (I was 10, so I too participated in one of the clubs) and there are specific activities.

I'd also suggest bringing hats for the kids, and a fairly light cover up for Castaway Cay. It's hot. And it can get dangerous pretty quick being out in that kind of sun, even if you're smart. The more coverage, the better!

And eat as much as possible, that goes without saying!

Where did you find RealTree luggage ? Is it decent ?

Castaway Cay is a balancing act. You want to bring enough to be comfortable, but you don't want to be dragging around a ton of stuff. I agree about the cover. My kids and I brought T-shirts and wore them while doing the other activities - Bikes, eating (eating IS an activity) , crab races, etc. Make sure you grab a bunch of towels as you leave the ship to take with you. Not from your room, they have stacks as you leave the ship.

Remember, Castaway Cay is PART of your cruise. The food and drinks (non-alcoholic) there are all free. No need to pack water or a snack. You also have stateroom charging privileges on the island, so no need to bring a wad of cash - just use your room key.

Oh, and speaking of eating. Room Service is FREE. The only thing you will pay for with room service is if you order drinks (including soda) because they come in bottles. If you want a drink, go to the 24/7 drink stations on deck, those are free. But 24/7 food from room service is no charge (but a tip is nice)

-dave

mraphael

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great advice!! We are Floridians so ww don't have to fly, its just an hour drive north for us. We ended up getting passports(we had time), and they arrived in a week! We dissent pay for a rush either.

Anybody use the child care for the little ones? I'm looking for some tips, suggestions, etc on that part of the ship. My son is excited about the camp for him, but I know I'd like to put my daughter(23 months) in the camp for some times so we can have mommy&daddy time.

Thanks again!

tiaragirl

Where did you find RealTree luggage ? Is it decent ?

Pretty sure Dad picked it up at Bass Pro on one of our trips. We have a full sized duffel and the littler one. This is the only picture I have, but it's sickk.. Got some stellar looks in Toronto. The encounter went something like:

Man staring at my luggage.
Me: It's my Dad's.
Man: Clearly.

;)

28561_1374802984516_1665060024_864209_4920989_n.jpg

ErickainPA

Anybody use the child care for the little ones? I'm looking for some tips, suggestions, etc on that part of the ship. My son is excited about the camp for him, but I know I'd like to put my daughter(23 months) in the camp for some times so we can have mommy&daddy time.

Thanks again!

Your 23 month old wouldn't go into camp, she would need to go into their nursery for infants to 3 yrs old:

Flounder's Reef Nursery is a reservations-only facility. As soon as you board, head for the facility on Deck 5 near the Oceaneer Club and Lab to make reservations for your little one. During a few nights on our cruise, the nursery had a waiting list. Since the line is careful not to overcrowd the nursery, only a limited number of spots is available at any given time. According to Brandy Krell, the counselor in charge of Disney Magic's nursery, she never books more than four infantsto each counselor. However, whenever I stopped by the nursery, the ratio looked more like a very comfortable two counselors to every child. The ratio for toddlers to counselors is six to one.
The facility is generally open from 5:30 p.m. to midnight daily; 1 to 4 p.m. on three days during the cruise; 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. on two days of the cruise; and 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on one sea day. The fee is $6 per hour for the first child, $5 for the second child. There is a two-hour minimum per visit.

Found the info online, as we haven't gone on a cruise yet.

Phonedave

Pretty sure Dad picked it up at Bass Pro on one of our trips. We have a full sized duffel and the littler one. This is the only picture I have, but it's sickk.. Got some stellar looks in Toronto. The encounter went something like:

Man staring at my luggage.
Me: It's my Dad's.
Man: Clearly.

;)

28561_1374802984516_1665060024_864209_4920989_n.jpg

Ah, OK I know that luggage.

My brother has the backpack from BassPro (or Cabela's one of the two)

I thought it was more like rolling type suitcase. I tend to be hard on duffles, and rolling ones seem to die quickly with me.

Thanks

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom