Disney Cruise Questions

thespottedzebra

Hi Everyone

I'm pondering trying to plan a Disney Cruise, I've never cruised before but I think I'd really like it. (just 2 adults) Anyway, when I'm looking at my vacation time I can really only fit in a short cruise this year and not a full week. Do think it would be best to wait until I can go an entire 7 day cruise, do you miss a lot with one of the shorter itineraries? I'm interested more w/ the onboard experience w/ Disney and I don't want to take the trip and leave feeling like I missed out because of time.

I hope this makes sense to someone out there. :rolleyes:

Thanks

HebeJebe

This is a tricky question. There is plenty of Disney on the cruise. The characters are at every sail away party and can be found in the main lobby nightly before dinner. The shows on board are wonderful and very Disney.

Saying that I prefer the 7 day cruise because I enjoy the Art of Entertaining and Behind the Scenes experiences they offer on the 7 day cruise. There are 2 full days at sea on the 7 day and 1 or none on the 3/4 day cruise. The 3 & 4 day cruise is more port focused during the day.

I guess it really depends on what your idea of "On-Board experience with Disney" is.

Upvote 0

normbalko

Can someone who has been on the cruise give us an idea of what these "on board" activities are? Behind the Scenes??? What's that mean? Just curious as to what you do for 7 days on a boat.

Upvote 0

HebeJebe

There is so much to do on-board. There are cooking demonstration where you can sample what was made along with a paired wine, napkin folding, tours of the bridge & galley, bingo, shopping lectures (get free stuff sometimes) and more! Here is the info from the Disney Cruise Line Website.

On-Board Activities for the Disney Magic:

Art of Entertaining
Guests feel right at home as the art of entertaining is delivered Disney style. Get the inside scoop on planning the perfect dinner party as cruisers explore Disney techniques in presentation and preparation, mixing it up alongside chef experts at hands-on sessions in creating fanciful desserts, floral fantasies and incredible tablescapes. Guests disembark at week's end with creative ideas to plan the perfect dining event.

Disney Behind-the-Scenes
From film buffs and amateur animators to admirers of architecture and broadcasting, everyone who's ever had an interest in the Wonderful World of Disney enjoys hearing a backstage perspective on Disney projects through the years and across the globe. Guests experience unique opportunities that include sneaking a peek behind the curtain of the magnificent Walt Disney Theatre and talking one-on-one with guest presenters from Broadway, film and television, Walt Disney Imagineering and throughout The Walt Disney Company.

Disney's Navigator Series
Guests dive into the mysteries of the sea, steering through the legends and traditions of ocean travel. Bridge officers host demonstrations on navigational techniques and customs. And Guests participate in tours of the Disney Magic that highlight the ship's design, artistry and technology.

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

For a first-time experience, I highly recommend the 3 or 4 day cruise! If you are not a "good cruiser" 7 days is along time to be "uncomfortable"!

The main difference between the 3 and 7 day cruises is the number of ports you visit and the length of time you spend "at sea". It doesn't really affect the experience you have on the actual ship except for a few minor programming changes.

It is a WONDER-ful experience and a MAGIC-al vacation! I took the 3-day cruise and enjoyed it so much I cannot wait to try a longer one as soon as I can!

HAVE FUN!

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Dwarful

I was informed tonight that my family all wants me to start planning a Disney Cruise. I have already contacted Pam for help in that area. But none of us have cruised before. What should we expect. Also the youngest child will only be 2 while the oldest will be 13, will they all have plenty to do? My husband thinks we should skip the cruise and go for just the parks. What do the cruisers on this board think??? any advice??

Upvote 0

celticdog

Originally posted by Dwarful
I was informed tonight that my family all wants me to start planning a Disney Cruise. I have already contacted Pam for help in that area. But none of us have cruised before. What should we expect. Also the youngest child will only be 2 while the oldest will be 13, will they all have plenty to do? My husband thinks we should skip the cruise and go for just the parks. What do the cruisers on this board think??? any advice??

I highly recommend that you go to the Cruise line section of Disney.com and order the cruise line vacation video. It has a hugh wealth of information. The cruise is a fantastic vacation and it easily appeals to all ages. There are enough activities onboard and in port that you'll never be bored. They also have great babysitting services. They have a whole deck for just kids and even lounges for teenagers.

Once you do a Disney cruise all others will pale in comparision!

Upvote 0

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I agree with Steve, order the video. We did a 4-day cruise, and felt like we missed out on most of what there was to do, because there is *so much* to do! Movies, tours, shopping, exploring the ship, pools, shows at night, dining..... and that doesn't include the excursions at the ports. Suffice it to say, a 3 or 4 day cruise will whet your appetite, but leave you wanting more, much more!

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

Also, for a GREAT guide to the Disney Cruise, get the book from www.passporter.com

It has very specific and up-to-date information about everything you could ever want to know about a Disney Cruise. We used it and it was dead-on with all of its reccommendations and reviews. It was a great planning resource, as it really familiarized us with the ship and all the cruise activities.

It even has deck and room diagrams, and can suggest specific rooms for specific views, etc!

Remember - the PLANNING should be half the fun!!!

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

LuciferKitty

This was by far the best vacation we have ever taken...We went on the 7-day, and I cannot imagine going on one of the shorter ones, because the week went by SO fast! There really is something aboard for everyone; I don't think you will be dissapointed! :D

Upvote 0

celticdog

Dress codes for dinner varied by restuarant.

For the men: Disney suggests a jacket for all sit down dinners, however, the only places that required it was Palo. Triton/Lumier's recommends a jacket, but very few people actually wore one. Dressy/smart casual is typical. Slacks and nice button-down shirt will work just fine. No jeans, no shorts, no hats, no gym shoes.

For the women: slacks, blouses, skirts (not too short), dresses. No jeans, no shorts, no hats, no gym shoes.

If you choose to eat at the buffet every night, it's very casual and you can get away with shorts and jeans.

The 3/4 day did not have a formal night. Does anyone know if the 7 day does?

Upvote 0

JBSLJames

Originally posted by celticdog
IOnce you do a Disney cruise all others will pale in comparision!

I have heard the opposite. Not saying that the Disney Cruise is not good. I have heard that it is very good, but the other cruise lines offer a better cruise experience. Again, just going off what I heard.

Upvote 0

MagicalMonorail

We've done the 4 day cruise. We saw a lot and had a good time. You can do a lot on the 4 day, but you can probably do more and take your time on the 7 day. Now according to my Disney stockholder book, if you wait longer, you may be able to go on a 10 day cruise.

Upvote 0

celticdog

Originally posted by JBSLJames
I have heard the opposite. Not saying that the Disney Cruise is not good. I have heard that it is very good, but the other cruise lines offer a better cruise experience. Again, just going off what I heard.

That maybe true if you compare Disney to the very high priced lines like Crystal or Cunard. But in comparision to Norwegian, Royal Carribean, Carnival and some of the similairly priced lines, Disney stands way above them.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom