Disney Cruise Line to visit Hawaii

trr1

Original Poster
Rumor: Disney Cruise Line to visit Hawaii

Aug 23, 2010

According to an article in the Honolulu Star Advertiser, Disney Cruise Line could be setting sail for Hawaii in the near future. Sailings to Hawaii would make perfect sense with the upcoming opening of the company's newest Disney Vacation Club resort "Aulani" opening in August of 2011. The Disney Wonder cruise ship, currently based in Florida, is moving to the West Coast in 2011, a move that is fueling the Hawaii rumors even further.

The Hawaii Department of Transportation "confirmed that Disney has tentative bookings at Pier 2 in Honolulu Harbor in May and September of 2012." However, the article does remind readers that a Disney spokesperson declined comment on any itineraries past 2011.

It will be interesting to watch and see how this plays out, as a legal restriction in the Passenger Vessel Services Act(PVSA) would require additional stops be made. Disney Cruise Line ships are registered in the Bahamas, technically making them foreign ships. The PVSA states that foreign ships may not sail directly from two U.S. ports. The Wonder will be based in Los Angeles, so if the ship was going to dock in Hawaii, it would need to make an additional stop in Canada or Mexico on its itinerary to comply with these regulations.

Thrill

Is Hawaii out of the question? No. Aulani, however, is not an option. This is a great explanation about why it's unlikely that Aulani's construction will influence the Disney Cruise line.

Disneyfalcon

I would agree with that. I didn't mean to imply that Disney would sail to Aulani. I think one way cruises to and from Honolulu are the most likely option. Honolulu is not that far from Ko Olina. Certainly not too far for shuttles.

One likely itinerary would be LA to Hawaii with a stop in Ensenada, Mexico.

Disney will also probably encourage people to extend their time in Hawaii with a stay at Aulani before or after their cruise.

Thrill

I would agree with that. I didn't mean to imply that Disney would sail to Aulani. I think one way cruises to and from Honolulu are the most likely option. Honolulu is not that far from Ko Olina. Certainly not too far for shuttles.

One likely itinerary would be LA to Hawaii with a stop in Ensenada, Mexico.

Disney will also probably encourage people to extend their time in Hawaii with a stay at Aulani before or after their cruise.

I think a 9-10 day Hawaiian cruise out of Honolulu with a stop at Fanning Island would be alright as well. At least this way, they can shuttle people between the port and Aulani so that they can stay a few nights. I think a cruise out of LA is more likely, but a land and sea package would be pretty cool.

Disneyfalcon

I think a 9-10 day Hawaiian cruise out of Honolulu with a stop at Fanning Island would be alright as well. At least this way, they can shuttle people between the port and Aulani so that they can stay a few nights. I think a cruise out of LA is more likely, but a land and sea package would be pretty cool.

Way cool!!:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom