Disney Cruise Line 3D Glasses review???

WaltsApprentice

Hey guys!

My fiancee and me are planning on going on the Disney Cruise 4 night on March 1 to the 5th. I've seen the ads and the acticles online about the new Digtial 3D movies now on the cruise.

"Disney Digital 3-D, as the company is calling its proprietary technology, is being installed in two theaters on each of the 1,754-passenger vessels and will allow for the showing of the first 3-D movies at sea. But Disney has even grander plans for the technology.

Starting in early 2009 the company will pull off another first with the debut of a once-per-cruise theatrical extravaganza that combines 3-D movie projection with in-theatre special effects. Tridimensional images will combine with lasers, fog, streamers and lighting effects to create an immersive experience." http://mydisneymania.blogspot.com/2008/11/disney-cruise-line-plans-industrys.html

BUT MY QUESTIONS ARE...

1) From anyone who has in the past few months, how is this new 3D movie glasses? Are they similar to the ones that they use in home town theaters for Disney 3D movies like Bolt, Chicken Little,? Or are the movies similar to Disney theme park style 3D? Clearly I know the movies wont have the crazy effects of it's tough to be a bug, but just wondering if the 3D effect is the same style.

I did see a picture of the glasses they look kind of big like IMAX theater style.

2) Other question, Have they started the 3D effects yet in the Walt Disney Theater for the broadway style shows? I'm assuming some effects will be like the final of Disney Dreams and have tinkerbell actually come out towards the audiance.

THANKS! I tried to search throuh the cruise reports but my computer is going really slow tonight...great pictures by the way! If you can help me that would be great.

Also I saw they now take your picture for your key's to the world room key...is this true??

Hows the new Toy Story Musical?? Hercules the Muse-ical was one of my favorites...I know it was strange but it was different every time! I just hope the TSM is better than the Hercules and worth seeing. I'm hoping it's not like finding nemo the musical...which is great..but you can only see it so many times.

We haven't been on the cruise since last year at the same time...so is there any other new things I should suspect?? Thanks
:wave::wave::wave::D

Disneyfalcon

Hey guys!

My fiancee and me are planning on going on the Disney Cruise 4 night on March 1 to the 5th. I've seen the ads and the acticles online about the new Digtial 3D movies now on the cruise.

"Disney Digital 3-D, as the company is calling its proprietary technology, is being installed in two theaters on each of the 1,754-passenger vessels and will allow for the showing of the first 3-D movies at sea. But Disney has even grander plans for the technology.

Starting in early 2009 the company will pull off another first with the debut of a once-per-cruise theatrical extravaganza that combines 3-D movie projection with in-theatre special effects. Tridimensional images will combine with lasers, fog, streamers and lighting effects to create an immersive experience." http://mydisneymania.blogspot.com/2008/11/disney-cruise-line-plans-industrys.html

BUT MY QUESTIONS ARE...

1) From anyone who has in the past few months, how is this new 3D movie glasses? Are they similar to the ones that they use in home town theaters for Disney 3D movies like Bolt, Chicken Little,? Or are the movies similar to Disney theme park style 3D? Clearly I know the movies wont have the crazy effects of it's tough to be a bug, but just wondering if the 3D effect is the same style.

I did see a picture of the glasses they look kind of big like IMAX theater style.

2) Other question, Have they started the 3D effects yet in the Walt Disney Theater for the broadway style shows? I'm assuming some effects will be like the final of Disney Dreams and have tinkerbell actually come out towards the audiance.

THANKS! I tried to search throuh the cruise reports but my computer is going really slow tonight...great pictures by the way! If you can help me that would be great.

Also I saw they now take your picture for your key's to the world room key...is this true??

Hows the new Toy Story Musical?? Hercules the Muse-ical was one of my favorites...I know it was strange but it was different every time! I just hope the TSM is better than the Hercules and worth seeing. I'm hoping it's not like finding nemo the musical...which is great..but you can only see it so many times.

We haven't been on the cruise since last year at the same time...so is there any other new things I should suspect?? Thanks
:wave::wave::wave::D

We used the glasses in January! They were much sturdier than the ones in the parks. They were very nice glasses actually, we all commented on them.

Bolt didn't have any effects like Bug's life 3-d effects. More like a 3-d movie in the theaters.

They haven't used them for any effects in the shows yet.

They do take your pictures before you board. It was a quick and painless process.

Toy Story was really good. Our Buzz and Woody were perfect and made for a great show!

Let me know if you have any other questions!:)

Upvote 0

WaltsApprentice

Original Poster
We used the glasses in May! They were much sturdier than the ones in the parks. They were very nice glasses actually, we all commented on them.

Bolt didn't have any effects like Bug's life 3-d effects. More like a 3-d movie in the theaters.

They haven't used them for any effects in the shows yet.

They do take your pictures before you board. It was a quick and painless process.

Toy Story was really good. Our Buzz and Woody were perfect and made for a great show!

Let me know if you have any other questions!:)

THANKS!! Ya I had a feeling that the 3D effects were similar to the Movie theaters ...but not as amazing as in the parks. When I say in the parks meaning going out really 3D like Ariel's hands reaching out towards the audiance or shards of glass flying through the air like in HISTA. Clearly they wouldn't have any 4D effects like air blowing and seats vibrating.

I really hope they use the 3D effects in the shows soon...I'm really excited

Does the picture taking help make coming on and off the ship better so you don't have to use your drivers license or Passport??

Hows the music for Toy Story??

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP...by the way I looked at your last report with the other 3 ladies...very cool!! :D looked like you had lots of fun!:wave:

Upvote 0

Disneyfalcon

Thanks Walt! We really did have a great time. I'm going again on a 7 night in May and am counting the days!!

We were there the first week of the pictures, so they might have changed some things. We still needed picture id's to get on and off the boat, but I thought maybe they were still testing everything.

The music for Toy Story was great. There were a couple of new songs and I thought they went really well with the story.:)

Upvote 0

WaltsApprentice

Original Poster
Thanks Walt! We really did have a great time. I'm going again on a 7 night in May and am counting the days!!

We were there the first week of the pictures, so they might have changed some things. We still needed picture id's to get on and off the boat, but I thought maybe they were still testing everything.

The music for Toy Story was great. There were a couple of new songs and I thought they went really well with the story.:)

Very interesting thanks for the info, I'll let you know if I get around to a trip report and learn how to put pictures on the posts, that I'll report on these pictures on the keys.

Just wondering...maybe you know or others...do you think that the Jonas brother movie in 3D will be playing on the ship come March?? I have no clue if they ever showed the Hannah Montana one there...but they never had 3D in the past. Because I'd rather see the Joe Bros...on the cruise that I paid big bucks for instead of paying 15 bucks to see that in my home theater. Haha

The movie doesn't come out until about Feb 27th...so if it plays for about a week like the HM movie...maybe it maybe just showing on the Cruise too... hmmmm

Upvote 0

Disneyfalcon

I'd love to see a trip report, please do post one!

Disney does premiere their movies on the ship, so I'd be willing to bet that they'll premiere the Jonas Brothers. We're kind of thinking they'll premiere "Up" while we're on board in May. For you I would think there's an even better chance. I'm sure they'll take any chance to show off their new digital 3-d!! :)

You can call the week before your cruise and they'll tell you what movies are playing.

Upvote 0

WaltsApprentice

Original Poster
I'd love to see a trip report, please do post one!

Disney does premiere their movies on the ship, so I'd be willing to bet that they'll premiere the Jonas Brothers. We're kind of thinking they'll premiere "Up" while we're on board in May. For you I would think there's an even better chance. I'm sure they'll take any chance to show off their new digital 3-d!! :)

You can call the week before your cruise and they'll tell you what movies are playing.

Oh really, I will do that and call! THANKS! Great idea!:wave:

Upvote 0

Chape19714

From what I've heard, the stage shows won't use the glasses, as it would distort all but a few scenes. From a stage design perspective it's a terrible Idea all around to put your audience in 3D glasses.

I have heard that a new film just for DCL will use 3D effects and will play a few times a day in the Walt Disney Theatre. And an FYI, the Buena Vista Theatre recieved the upgrades as well. So beyond the exclusive 3D show and the theatre releases, that's all the new technology will be used for.

Upvote 0

StitchRokcs

Yes they are there just got back from the 7 day eastern cruise. They had Bolt in 3-D and I saw it. The are very sturdy look really good - as far as 3-D glasses go- however the movies that go from regular to 3-D (like bolt) all that the 3-D does is make it stand out a bit more nothing actually goes flying at you or anything like that like in "honey i shrunk the kids", or "a bugs life". Definatly a neat effect not sure if it was needed but was definatly something different!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom