Disney Cruise for New Year's

DisneyFan1003

My apologies if this topic has already been discussed...I searched and couldn't find anything! My wife and I, both HUGE Disney fans, will be taking a 7 night Land & Sea vacation this year December 26-January 2. We've been on the Disney Cruise before and absolutely loved it. We were wondering what type of special events, parties, etc. go on during a New Year's cruise on the Wonder? Any tips? Thanks!:)

polynesiangirl

I gave this question a quick pass-through in my Passporter Disney Cruise Line book (which, since you've already been on the cruise would be less useful to you, but it's still an excellent resource.)

I did find mention of the fact that New Year's and Christmastime cruises book up faster than other crusies, and here is a direct excerpt from the book on Holiday Cruises:

"If your cruise coincides with a major holiday, you can bet Disney has something special planned.......December cruises feature magical holiday decorations and special holiday events, and so on. New Year's Eve cruises are very, very popular - book early if you're interested in one."

So while that may not have been very descriptive, it certainly sounds like they'll have plenty of holiday stuff (I would imagine the ship and Castaway Cay are appropriately decorated.)

Hopefully someone else here has first-hand experience, but as your date draws closer I am certain DCL will send you some info or at the very least you can call their number to inquire. Hope this helped, even if only a little bit! :) :wave:

Upvote 0

DisneyFan1003

Original Poster
Thanks for the info! We have that same book from our first cruise...also our honeymoon! You'll love it..we had a blast! And it looks like you're doing the same land/sea package in August that we're doing in December..Poly/Wonder. We can't wait...did the parks for a week after Christmas this past year so we thought we'd try the cruise this year. Gotta get some traveling done before kids come along!!

Upvote 0

polynesiangirl

DisneyFan1003 said:
Thanks for the info! We have that same book from our first cruise...also our honeymoon! You'll love it..we had a blast! And it looks like you're doing the same land/sea package in August that we're doing in December..Poly/Wonder. We can't wait...did the parks for a week after Christmas this past year so we thought we'd try the cruise this year. Gotta get some traveling done before kids come along!!

Oooh, I'm sure hoping it's all we're expecting it to be - I have heard nothing but good about the DCL and I was so thrilled that they offered this package since we LOVE the Poly and it actually saved us $ over booking the two separately (something that I have heard is usually the better option, moneywise.) Since neither of us have been on the cruise before (but we've both been to WDW like, a thousand times,) this was a nice "best of both worlds" option. Ahhh I can't wait! :)

I sure hope we can get some more WDW trips in the few years before we have to haul along strollers and diapers and all that other "fun" parent stuff! :p

Upvote 0

disneysailor

They usually have big deck parties in the evening, with a countdown at midnight. In addition, they usually have a Gala Meal in all the restaurants.

They have smaller events in some of the bars, but mostly the attention is focussed on the main Deck Party, with fireworks (weather permitting) live performers and a great atmosphere.

Whilst there is a good turn out for the party, don't expect to party into the small hours- most people tend to retire to their staterooms after midnight. The bars can be fairly quiet late at night, as even the crewmembers (who will still be partying after working all day!) are confined to crew only areas.

In any case, I'm sure you'll have a great cruise!

Upvote 0

DisneyFan1003

Original Poster
disneysailor said:
They usually have big deck parties in the evening, with a countdown at midnight. In addition, they usually have a Gala Meal in all the restaurants.

They have smaller events in some of the bars, but mostly the attention is focussed on the main Deck Party, with fireworks (weather permitting) live performers and a great atmosphere.

Whilst there is a good turn out for the party, don't expect to party into the small hours- most people tend to retire to their staterooms after midnight. The bars can be fairly quiet late at night, as even the crewmembers (who will still be partying after working all day!) are confined to crew only areas.

In any case, I'm sure you'll have a great cruise!

Does the four night cruise go formal for New Year's? I know there was a formal night on our 7-night cruise, but we've never done the Wonder!

Upvote 0

disneysailor

DisneyFan1003 said:
Does the four night cruise go formal for New Year's? I know there was a formal night on our 7-night cruise, but we've never done the Wonder!

It's not an official Formal Night, but there's a set menu in all three main restaurants and people do dress up. You end up with a mix- some people in tuxedos and some in shorts!

My recommendation is to book Palo, if you want a more formal 'classy' experience for the evening. Arrive early and make sure you're in line about 45 mins before they open reservations. Palo books up very quickly (especially on holidays).

However, please bear in mind that whilst I've spent a few New Years on the ships, I havent done so for a while, so it might be worth checking with DCL directly to see if they are doing something different these days. :animwink:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom