Disney copies Artist's Humphrey the Bear Fanart

NateD1226

this meme is somewhat similar to this situation right? 😂
838898D5-9066-4909-B71E-5D5970A11457.png

Dr.Cheeto

Original Poster
I’m pretty sure they have talented artists employed at the Consumer Products division that are supposed to draw things like this. Are they affiliated with imagineering? Or maybe there’s no point in trying anymore!

Dr.Cheeto

Original Poster
Disney should hold a seance to bring the original background painters back.
Haha, you’re right, maybe there’s no use in complaining. It’s just sad knowing that there aren’t even many employed 2d animators on the payroll that are in a position to work on small projects like this. Sure they are out there. Look at this young person who is a fan of the classic Disney style and is able to nail it! Why doesn’t imagineering hire more people like this? The most “classic” and memorable rides are comprised of vignettes drawn by people like Marc Davis. That’s the kind of stuff that made Disneyland rides stand out from the rest.

lazyboy97o

It’s understandable that Disney cannot monitor all fan art and then verify if work is original, but they should make it right. They paid someone to produce this art and that person stole instead of delivering. They should pay the artist who did produce the work and seek action against the thief.

asianway

It’s understandable that Disney cannot monitor all fan art and then verify if work is original, but they should make it right. They paid someone to produce this art and that person stole instead of delivering. They should pay the artist who did produce the work and seek action against the thief.
Would be tough to prove theft considering Disney owns the IP

Rich T

Would be tough to prove theft considering Disney owns the IP
It comes down to the person they hired to produce the art. Did he/she claim to have drawn the image and charge for the work accordingly? Or was he/she up front about the source? Either way, this is sad. Nice bit of attention for the original artist, though.
(EDIT)
Reminds me of a recent incident where IGN fired a game reviewer for copying (with minor modifications) a fan’s review from another site and claiming it was their own work.

Last edited:

Sharon&Susan

I am no legal expert, but, unless if I’m mistaken, even if Disney went to court and won against the artist, Disney is not automatically allowed to use the infringing fan art without obtaining permission from the creator.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Now there is two sides to this, what is law and what is perceived as right by the public.

Under the law fan art unless specifically identified as a parody are usually not protected. Since its Disney's IP that the artist directly "created" without permission, the artist can't claim any right to the "art". Now hopefully the artist wasn't trying to profit off of this otherwise they could be violating copyright laws of their own.

Now as far as what is right in the court of public opinion, that is a completely different matter. And is usually very divisive.

Typically Disney "farms" out this type of work. So Disney isn't directly responsible to verify if the content was "copied" from another source.

However with that said, if I was Disney I would contact the artist and see if they want to intern for Disney Animation.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Pay the guy who copied their character in a certain pose with a basic yellow background? I’m not sure about that. They should change it or the guy should just give them his OK to keep it. It’s not like some abstract fan art. It’s literally their character as he appears in all the cartoons with a yellow shaped bean background for crying out loud.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom