News Disney considering a service like Uber at WDW - Confirmed as Minnie Van

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
how much time does it add to go from resort to entering? I know that's dependent on hotel and mode of transportation. I have to assume unless you are walking that is going to add some time including security.

Definitely. Unless you are on a monorail resort and are visiting MK, I would plan on at least an hour from the time you leave your room to the time you are entering a park, 90 minutes if you want to build in some cushion for transportation (i.e. Not getting a bus for 20-25 minutes).

TrojanUSC

Definitely. Unless you are on a monorail resort and are visiting MK, I would plan on at least an hour from the time you leave your room to the time you are entering a park, 90 minutes if you want to build in some cushion for transportation (i.e. Not getting a bus for 20-25 minutes).

This is largely why people are using Minnievan or paying $8 for Uber. Can take forever on the busses, so say nothing of the experience.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Fair points. The reason I was thinking Minnie Van was to voice the time spent walking to and waiting for a rental car. And staying at Bay Lake, I don't think it will be 45 minutes each way from our room to the park. But, your overall conclusion about enjoying our vacation and going with the least stressful option rather than packing in more park time is a wise one.

You could always book DME, this way you can tag your luggage. And then book the Minnie Van. Let Disney take care of your luggage, and take the Minnie Van direct to MK. Easy Peasy.

DisneyDaver

Aka. Creating a problem and then monetizing a solution. Why improve bus service when rubes are willing to pay for Minnie Vans?

WDW didn't create a problem. No one has to stay on-site. And no one staying on site has to use the bus system. People staying on-site are able to use all the forms of transportation that people staying offsite are able to use. WDW offers the bus system as additional option for people who choose to stay on-site.

I see the availability of the Minnie Vans as big plus and will likely use them a couple times when I am next in WDW. Guess that makes me a "rube" ...

Because of certain factors, my WDW visits are now almost always limited to 4 or 5 nights. I find that people who stay at WDW for 7-14 days don't seem to understand that all these "upcharges" which are time savers are incredibly valuable to those who are have much shorter vacations. In my 4 days/5 nights, I can pay for Minnie Vans, an evening party, an early morning magic and a dessert party and still spend less overall than those who stay twice as long and don't pay for any of the "upcharges".

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
WDW didn't create a problem. No one has to stay on-site. And no one staying on site has to use the bus system. People staying on-site are able to use all the forms of transportation that people staying offsite are able to use. WDW offers the bus system as additional option for people who choose to stay on-site.

I see the availability of the Minnie Vans as big plus and will likely use them a couple times when I am next in WDW. Guess that makes me a "rube" ...

Because of certain factors, my WDW visits are now almost always limited to 4 or 5 nights. I find that people who stay at WDW for 7-14 days don't seem to understand that all these "upcharges" which are time savers are incredibly valuable to those who are have much shorter vacations. In my 4 days/5 nights, I can pay for Minnie Vans, an evening party, an early morning magic and a dessert party and still spend less overall than those who stay twice as long and don't pay for any of the "upcharges".

TWDC thanks you.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
And to be clear, I have complaints about WDW (resulting in more of my vacation dollars going to Universal Orlando the past 8 years), but I have no issues with the "upcharge" events and services.

No issue with TDO "solving" the problems they created through lack of investment by upcharging for what used to be part and parcel of a WDW vacation. Cool. I guess.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Bus service seems to be stuck at serving 2009 resort occupancy levels, but it's 2018 and resort occupancy is just a bit higher now. Offering a for-pay service doesn't fix the underlying problem of the bus service not being sufficient to efficiently handle an increased, and increasing, number of guests. They market "free transportation!" as a perk of staying at an on-site hotel, but it's somehow OK to not make sure that guests aren't waiting 20, 25, and sometimes 30 minutes waiting for a bus?? And 30 minutes is not an exaggeration. My wife and son waited that long for a bus at Pop Century in 2016 (or 2017, I can't remember) to go to a park in the morning. Being a TDO apologist doesn't change reality, only your perception of it.

And I'm not going down the "seeing value in x-y-z upcharge" rabbit hole.

DisneyDaver

They market "free transportation!" as a perk of staying at an on-site hotel, but it's somehow OK to not make sure that guests aren't waiting 20, 25, and sometimes 30 minutes waiting for a bus?? And 30 minutes is not an exaggeration. My wife and son waited that long for a bus at Pop Century in 2016 (or 2017, I can't remember) to go to a park in the morning. Being a TDO apologist doesn't change reality, only your perception of it.

Has it really changed that much in terms of waiting times? I'm not saying your wrong ... I just don't know the facts. I recall waiting 20-30 minutes for many buses when I stayed at All-Star Sports back in 2003. That was the last time I stayed at a value because of it. I decided the "value" wasn't worth it.

TeddyinMO

Has it really changed that much in terms of waiting times? I'm not saying your wrong ... I just don't know the facts. I recall waiting 20-30 minutes for many buses when I stayed at All-Star Sports back in 2003. That was the last time I stayed at a value because of it. I decided the "value" wasn't worth it.
Please don't let reality get in the way of the narrative.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Please don't let reality get in the way of the narrative.

Disney buses used to run every 15-20 minutes. I can point this out in the "Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World" book from 1994 if you wish, or in the 2005 version if a more recent, but not too recent, example would be better. I could probably find a similar passage about bus service in one of the old Birnbaum's books I have. Since 2006, when our trips became more frequent than once every few years, we have had to wait 20-30 minutes routinely, particularly for DVC resort buses heading out of the theme parks. We'd often watch 3 or 4 buses go by for many moderate and value resorts before getting one for whichever DVC resort we were staying at, even when there was a line for our resort. Buses in the mornings to the parks are usually better, and with 20 minutes the longest we'd typically have to wait.

Could I/we just have been lucky with the hundreds of bus trips we've taken over the years? Possibly. But the odds are it's highly unlikely that we did.

Minthorne

Unless you are walking from a Crescent Lake resort to a park. Beach Club to Epcot International Gateway can be under 5 min!

I'mwatchinguWizowski

I used lyft 6 Times on a recent trip...it totaled about $65...

There’s just no comparison. I see no need to give disney a cut unless it is the exact same price - which it won’t be.

I would normally agree but traveling with kids and knowing that you have a Disney employee driving made me feel safer. I’ve gotten some CRAZY Uber and Lyft drivers before...even when I paid for a black car. Plus I also knew that car seats were safe and hadn’t been in an accident.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom