News Disney considering a service like Uber at WDW - Confirmed as Minnie Van

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
We are staying at Bay Lake (which I think is the last stop on DME) and our flight arrives at 3:00 pm so. My wife and I are hoping to have a couple hours at MK to do 3 FP+ attractions and feed the kids dinner before heading back to the resort. Our kids will be 3.5 y/o and 13 months old at the time of our visit so we want to get the 13 month old to bed on the earlier side (7:30 pm'ish). Thus, getting to the resort faster than DME is of interest to us if we can make it work.
The DME routes are not the same every time, so there's no reason to assume that Bay Lake would be the last stop.

Honestly, between your flight time, the age of your children, your planned bedtime, and the fact that you'll need dinner, you really shouldn't plan on doing any park time that evening regardless of how you get to your resort. It's going to be more hectic than it's worth. Won't be "magical" at all.

Not to mention the fact that you'd have to sit around MCO's baggage claim if you're not doing Magical Express, which can be 45 minutes all on its own.

My kids are similar ages (3.5 and 8 months on the last trip) and we learned when the older one was small that pace matters more than anything. It's the entire key to a successful trip. Slow down. Make travel day about getting everyone to the room safely and in bed at a decent time.

wdwfan757

I read that the Minnie Vans can now be scheduled to pick up from the airport for $150 per way. My group will have 6 people (4 adults and 2 toddlers who need car seats) and we will likely have 5-6 suitcases). Does anyone have a sense of whether all that luggage will fit along with 6 people? Our plan is to take a car service from the airport to the resort and then take DME when we go back to the airport.

No chance that youre fitting 6 people and 6 suitcases in a minnievan. You have to choose between the toddlers or your bags.

Disney4family

The DME routes are not the same every time, so there's no reason to assume that Bay Lake would be the last stop.
Speaking only from my personal experience (not arguing) - I can honestly say that since we joined DVC in 2010 and, therefore, started to stay exclusively at BLT, we have been the last stop for the DME route for 10 out of 11 trips. We were (pleasantly) surprised one trip when we were dropped off first.

dreamfinder

I read that the Minnie Vans can now be scheduled to pick up from the airport for $150 per way. My group will have 6 people (4 adults and 2 toddlers who need car seats) and we will likely have 5-6 suitcases). Does anyone have a sense of whether all that luggage will fit along with 6 people? Our plan is to take a car service from the airport to the resort and then take DME when we go back to the airport.

I believe this was a one way service, from WDW to MCO, and not available from MCO to WDW.

wdwfan757

Speaking only from my personal experience (not arguing) - I can honestly say that since we joined DVC in 2010 and, therefore, started to stay exclusively at BLT, we have been the last stop for the DME route for 10 out of 11 trips. We were (pleasantly) surprised one trip when we were dropped off first.

Sheeeesh. I think i'm batting 2 of 7 on this at Bay Lake

TOCPE82

Why not DME to the resort? You could probably rent a car just as easily, for not much more?

wdwfan757

Why not DME to the resort? You could probably rent a car just as easily, for not much more?

Oh, i definitely think car rental is cheaper, especially if they drop it off at car care center the same night or early in their trip. But if they're really trying to shave minutes here, there's the 50% chance they have to stop at the desk first (add 10 minutes here), then there's an extra 3 net minutes if they don't want to use sunpass or whatever the florida version of EZpass is, then there's the 10 minutes (because toddlers) to get from the parking lot to the rail or the ferry, then there's the 10 minutes to get to the front gate. So most of their time savings is gone vs DMEing to Bay Lake. If they were staying anywhere outside of the MK resort area, I'd vehemently argue in favor of renting a car, but i'm not sold in this case.

Like CaptainAmerica said, if you factor in having to pick up your bags and the fact that they will need 2 minnievans to accommodate everyone (at a mindblowing net $300???), i'm not sure that minnievanning is worth it either. Granted, Orlando is pretty quick about getting bags on the belt. They'd also have to deal with dropping off 5 bags at bell-services if their room isn't ready (this is also true if they have any carryons, but with fewer bags). Either way, they STILL have the same trip from contemporary to MK that they would've had with the DME. The biggest perk would've been getting dropped off right at MK and losing the 15-20 minute walk (because toddler) or monorail (because you have to sit through the poly stop and the GF stop).

If the DME leaves within 20 minutes of you getting there and you have 15 minutes worth of extra stops, you probably save a net 20-25 minutes over waiting for your bags and getting in a minnievan. I'm about as "shaving minutes" obsessed as they come, but I wouldn't spend 300 on it.

TrojanUSC

We are staying at Bay Lake (which I think is the last stop on DME) and our flight arrives at 3:00 pm so. My wife and I are hoping to have a couple hours at MK to do 3 FP+ attractions and feed the kids dinner before heading back to the resort. Our kids will be 3.5 y/o and 13 months old at the time of our visit so we want to get the 13 month old to bed on the earlier side (7:30 pm'ish). Thus, getting to the resort faster than DME is of interest to us if we can make it work.

You can call Mears and have a nice town car booked for half the price, maybe a bit more for a larger van. You don't get pretty polka dots but otherwise it's the same experience. Same company Disney would use if you asked the concierge to book you a car service anywhere but the airport.

ppete1975

I would enjoy my vacation if I was you. DME =no stress (its amazing and free and you don't have to park or pay to park or even care about driving in traffic). Don't go to the parks that day, everyone is going to be tired and cranky and between the airlines, waiting on luggage, waiting on the car rental place takes more time than you think and you will be stressed out and everyone else will be as a result, and you will get there much, much, much later than I think you are expecting to get there (3 oclock- arrival at Disney 7-8).
Based off of a 3-3:15 arrival
Actually stepping off airplane- 3:45
walking to and waiting on luggage 4:15
walking to and getting car 4:45 (I promise you the rental people aren't going to be in any hurry and there will be lines)
driving to WDW 5:45
checking in and putting luggage in room potty breaks and just a deep breath 6:30
getting to Disneyworld via bus or rental car 7:15
getting through security 7:40
Now I'm making these numbers up, but I know how time gets eaten up especially with lines and air delays.
I don't see how you can hit 3 FPs and get the little one to sleep at 730.. because that's 45 mins from leaving to getting to your bed. And if you go to the parks, nobody is going to be able to go to sleep (although the little ones might pass out on the way back)

I would either try to arrive earlier (like first flight 6am early) or just enjoy the experience use the mde go to bed that night or maybe go to Disney springs (its a lot of Disney fun for free) then wake up happy, energetic and ready for fun EARLY the next morning.

Last edited:

DisneyDaver

I would enjoy my vacation if I was you. DME =no stress (its amazing and free and you don't have to park or pay to park or even care about driving in traffic). Don't go to the parks that day, everyone is going to be tired and cranky and between the airlines, waiting on luggage, waiting on the car rental place takes more time than you think and you will be stressed out and everyone else will be as a result, and you will get there much, much, much later than I think you are expecting to get there (3 oclock- arrival at Disney 7-8).
Based off of a 3-3:15 arrival
Actually stepping off airplane- 3:45
walking to and waiting on luggage 4:15
walking to and getting car 4:45 (I promise you the rental people aren't going to be in any hurry and there will be lines)
driving to WDW 5:45
checking in and putting luggage in room potty breaks and just a deep breath 6:30
getting to Disneyworld via bus or rental car 7:15
getting through security 7:40
Now I'm making these numbers up, but I know how time gets eaten up especially with lines and air delays.
I don't see how you can hit 3 FPs and get the little one to sleep at 730.. because that's 45 mins from leaving to getting to your bed. And if you go to the parks, nobody is going to be able to go to sleep (although the little ones might pass out on the way back)

I would either try to arrive earlier (like first flight 6am early) or just enjoy the experience use the mde go to bed that night or maybe go to Disney springs (its a lot of Disney fun for free) then wake up happy, energetic and ready for fun EARLY the next morning.

Fair points. The reason I was thinking Minnie Van was to voice the time spent walking to and waiting for a rental car. And staying at Bay Lake, I don't think it will be 45 minutes each way from our room to the park. But, your overall conclusion about enjoying our vacation and going with the least stressful option rather than packing in more park time is a wise one.

ppete1975

Fair points. The reason I was thinking Minnie Van was to voice the time spent walking to and waiting for a rental car. And staying at Bay Lake, I don't think it will be 45 minutes each way from our room to the park. But, your overall conclusion about enjoying our vacation and going with the least stressful option rather than packing in more park time is a wise one.
that's if the Minnie van is available and waiting, and if you get an 80 year old driver who drives 30mph. I honestly cant speak to the Minnie van aspect. And you are right it should be a lot quicker at Bay Lake, is that walkable for your group, if so that would save some time. But I still think it will take longer than you think.. or honestly that it should :)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
FWIW - Our experience with DME has been it will take 2 hours from the time we leave the aircraft to the time we're arriving at our resort. It's rarely less, and can sometimes be more, but 2 hours has been a solid bet more often than not. However, we have 4 older kids (10-17) who have done this trip more times than we can remember so for us it's a bathroom stop, sometimes a beverage stop, and then off to the DME check-in.

ppete1975

FWIW - Our experience with DME has been it will take 2 hours from the time we leave the aircraft to the time we're arriving at our resort. It's rarely less, and can sometimes be more, but 2 hours has been a solid bet more often than not. However, we have 4 older kids (10-17) who have done this trip more times than we can remember so for us it's a bathroom stop, sometimes a beverage stop, and then off to the DME check-in.
how much time does it add to go from resort to entering? I know that's dependent on hotel and mode of transportation. I have to assume unless you are walking that is going to add some time including security.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member

For Pickup to the airport there is a fixed route because the pickup times are pre-scheduled. BLT is usually the first stop for pickup and last stop for drop off for MK resorts (Provided guests are departing from BLT). (Funny because the bus drops off at the CR goes to BLT to pickup/drop off then returns to the CR for pickup)

For Drop-off from the airport, the route is based on which hotel guests on the bus are going to. Obviously if no one is going to the WL, then the bus route will skip it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom