Disney College Program Questions

indycarfan7

Original Poster
I have a couple questions regarding the DCP. I will be applying for it come September and would like to know a couple things.

1. Do you have to have a certain amount of credits before you can apply for the college program or just have to have one semester completed?

2. What all would I have to pay if I was accepted into the program? Would it be just housing costs each week and books?

3. If I want a future career at the Walt Disney World Resort, would this be a great program to start with and then continuing with the Disney Professional Internship afterward?

Thank you very much!

moink

hey indycarfan7,

I had my internship from Jan-May of 2007, I was in my first semester of college. Credits aren't taken into consideration. There is no cost for the internship, they do however, charge rent depending on the size of the apartment. There are 1br, 2br and 4br (there may be 3brs by now, but not when I was there). Of course cost of living expenses, like food, and gas if you bring a car (which I would strongly recomend).

If you are looking for a career with Disney this would be the optimal place to start. They primarily promote from within. However, this is the bottom of the totem pole you'll have to work long and hard to move to a more desireable position within the company.

I loved my internship, they don't pay very well but it's all about the expierance, I've met some of my best friends now, and have relationships I would never have met if it weren't for this program.

Good luck, you have a lot of thinking to do!

Andrew

indycarfan7

Original Poster
Thank you for the information. Is it possible to do the Disney College Program during the Spring of 2011 (January to May) and then move on and do the Disney Professional Internship in the fall of 2011 (June to January)?

wdwcstmbr05

Theoretically yes you can move straight from the College Program into one of the Professional Internships. In fact there are quite a few internships that are open only to College Program Alumni. That is what I am actually aiming to do going from this fall into a Spring Professional Internship.

indycarfan7

Original Poster
I wondered because I live in Kansas and am applying for the program for spring 2011 and it would be easier to drive down to Orlando for the College Program and then do the Internship program in the fall of 2011 so I could just stay down there the whole time and not have to come back and drive down again.

ntoeman

Just got home from the Spring Advantage a few days ago so here's my two cents on the questions....

1. Do you have to have a certain amount of credits before you can apply for the college program or just have to have one semester completed?
Nope, not even one completed really, just have to be enrolled in classes, meaning you can apply during your first semester of college.

2. What all would I have to pay if I was accepted into the program? Would it be just housing costs each week and books?
Housing each week comes right out of your paycheck so you really dont even have to worry about that. The class I took didn't require books, but as for the ones that do it's just like having to buy book for any class and school. Don't forget about the general groceries and what not too. There is also a one time $100 activities fee that basically reserves your spot when you accept.

3. If I want a future career at the Walt Disney World Resort, would this be a great program to start with and then continuing with the Disney Professional Internship afterward?
Ultimately I think networking is probably THE biggest factor of what a participant can get out of their CP. I had the opportunity to meet and talk to a ton of different people in the engineering field and for that reason I am confident I can come back to Disney, maybe not even for a professional internship, but something better now that I have those connections.

As for the applications...live presentations on campuses start in early September...the e-presentation and app online should be available next week.

indycarfan7

Original Poster
My girlfriend and I are doing the College Program. Does that mean we will be separated into two different housing communities? Or can we request to be in the same housing community? I know they separate by gender so I know we wouldn't be able to stay in the same apartment together.

beyondyou

My girlfriend and I are doing the College Program. Does that mean we will be separated into two different housing communities? Or can we request to be in the same housing community? I know they separate by gender so I know we wouldn't be able to stay in the same apartment together.

you can stay in the same apartment complex. however, to my knowing, it is totally random where they put you in the complexes

indycarfan7

Original Poster
Is it a good thing to call a week or so after my phone interview to check up on my application? Or should I just wait until I hear from them? To make it seem I'm very interested.

beyondyou

Is it a good thing to call a week or so after my phone interview to check up on my application? Or should I just wait until I hear from them? To make it seem I'm very interested.

i'd just wait. they already have all the information they need from your phone interview. calling them wont do much difference i dont think. I sucks to have to sit here for 2-3weeks though! haha

joanna71985

I'd wait. It even says to wait 6 weeks until you call. I know the wait is hard. But just hang in there

Hey, top previous interns this may seem like a stupid question but I am just about to start my first semester majoring in Hospitality Mgmt.. I was hoping to possible do the Disney Intership from Jan-May and presentation will be in my area in Mid September. My question is when the people who have done this program did it during school how did your respective school go about it? Did you make up a semester later or take classes over the summer?

In my major at my school you're required to do a paid intership over the summer but I was hoping instead to do the Disney Program. Thanks for the help.:wave:

beyondyou

Hey, top previous interns this may seem like a stupid question but I am just about to start my first semester majoring in Hospitality Mgmt.. I was hoping to possible do the Disney Intership from Jan-May and presentation will be in my area in Mid September. My question is when the people who have done this program did it during school how did your respective school go about it? Did you make up a semester later or take classes over the summer?

In my major at my school you're required to do a paid intership over the summer but I was hoping instead to do the Disney Program. Thanks for the help.:wave:
Myself personally, i took some classes over the summertime to make up at least some credits that were missed. My work class load the following fall was a little more steep than usual, but it is totally worth it

CP_alum08

I actually took two online classes while I did the college program. However, I do not recommend this. It was a lot of work to take the classes, plus work 40+ hours, plus meet tons of new people, etc, etc. So, take an extra class in the semester before you do the CP, take a few classes during the summer and take an extra class in the semester after you get back and you will be all caught up. Good luck!

Frosty689

Has anyone heard anything back yet since their interview?

I recieved an email back from Disney yesterday confirming my spot at the Disney Internship for spring 2011. I hope that I'll see you down there! My family was so excited and I know what deparment I'll be working in, just not where exactly. Let us know when you hear back from Disney! Its exciting.

Oh to add onto that, it took about 3 weeks or so for me to hear back. Definitely just wait it out. You should be hearing from them soon.

Frosty689

I haven't heard anything yet, it's only been a week but I'm still really nervous about it LOL.

I was honestly really nervous waiting. Waiting was not easy, as working for Disney has always been a dream for me. During my interview, I was a bit nervous and then after hearing I would know for a few weeks, I got even more nervous. I just wanted to know!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom