Disney closing animation studio

mcbates23

Original Poster
I just read this on the Orlando Sentinel's web site. I know everyone thought this was going to happen. Now it looks like for sure. It's really to bad. In the past few year they have put out the best disney movies.

Walt Disney Studios is expected to tell the nearly 260 artists at its Orlando feature-animation studio on Monday that it will close the facility.

Nearly all of the employees, whose credits include Brother Bear and Lilo & Stitch, are expected to lose their jobs, although some would relocate to Burbank, Calif., sources familiar with the matter said Friday. The sources asked not to be identified because the layoffs had not been made official.

Disney officials would not comment.

The company is expected to make the announcement at a staff meeting Monday.

"We're not expecting any glorious news that we're still employed," said layout artist Craig Grasso, a 10-year veteran of Walt Disney Feature Animation Florida.

Grasso said he was saddened by the facility's expected closing.

"This is something that I've always wanted to do," he said of working at the studios.

"Once it's gone, it's gone."

Disney's feature-animation facility in Orlando had grown during the past 15 years from a showcase at Disney-MGM Studios theme park into a key production center.

But under pressure to reduce overhead and consolidate production, Disney already has shuttered animation studios in Paris and Tokyo.

In all, the studio has cut more than 700 jobs in recent years -- including 50 animators in Orlando last year -- and trimmed animators' salaries as much as 50 percent. The most recent cuts would leave Disney's animation division with a core staff of 600 to 700.

The Orlando facility's future has been in doubt since Disney abruptly halted work on its only remaining project in November.

Soon after Disney said it was shutting down A Few Good Ghosts -- about star-crossed lovers reunited by a family of ghosts who inhabit the bodies of folk-art dolls -- recruiters from DreamWorks and other major animation and special effects-studios descended on Orlando.

Disney artists said Friday that the studios are looking for artists who could help create cartoons using computers rather than old-fashioned pencils and paint.

The company's Orlando facility used computers to create certain scenes, but most of the work was done by hand -- from designing the film to creating the characters. On average, a feature-length cartoon requires about 1 million drawings.

Disney pioneered the hand-drawn feature, but audiences in recent years have shown a preference for computer-generated cartoons.

Finding Nemo, released by Disney but made by the computer-animation studio Pixar, earned the most money of any movie released in 2003, collecting $339.7 million.

By comparison, Brother Bear, which made limited use of 3-D animation, has grossed $83.3 million to date. The film, which cost about $100 million to make and faced stiff competition over the holidays, may not generate much profit for Disney. It was the company's first animated feature created entirely in Orlando, from the concept to the screen.

Disney has only one major hand-drawn feature on its schedule, though two are in development. Home on the Range, due out April 2, is a Western about barnyard animals trying to save the family farm.

Disney's next major animated release will be this fall's The Incredibles, a Pixar cartoon about a family of superheroes forced to hang up their tights and live in the suburbs.

And although Disney animation chief David Stainton has said "2-D is not dead," the studio's first major animated feature after Pixar's will be the computer-created Chicken Little.

Despite the attention 3-D animation is getting, a cartoon's success depends less on technology and more on characters and story, said Harry Knowles, owner of the influential movie Web site Ain't It Cool News.

Sony's 2001 feature Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was widely praised for realistic 3-D animation but earned only about $32 million at the box office because the story, about soul-s__________g aliens, left audiences cold, he said.

And although it relied heavily on low-tech hand-drawn animation, the Orlando-made Lilo & Stitch was a box-office smash, Knowles said. Lilo made nearly $146 million in theaters two years ago.

"The directors who worked on it in Orlando . . . did a great job," Knowles said.

Walt Disney Feature Animation Florida is housed at Disney-MGM Studios and is featured in the park's Magic of Disney Animation. The attraction, which was recently updated, is expected to remain open.

On Friday, few visitors seemed to notice the empty drawing tables and desks, although several wondered where the artists were. One woman told her companion, "This is the best job, if they don't come in before 11."

When asked where the artists were, a guide said they simply weren't in.

imagineer boy

Everyone! We march to Eisner's house. The Disney-holics are going to war. This really is the last straw. I am sick of Micheal Eisner! I can't sit around and watch the company march to its own doom! Down with Eisner!!!!:fork:

AndyP

Its Seems all these money savers are losing Disney some of its roots that Walt created, its nice to see the animators at legacy are staying true to them though :)

imagineersrock

Originally posted by imagineer boy
Everyone! We march to Eisner's house. The Disney-holics are going to war. This really is the last straw. I am sick of Micheal Eisner! I can't sit around and watch the company march to its own doom! Down with Eisner!!!!:fork:

I'm going to have to second that..!

-this is really outrageous if all this is true! what's going on in that man's head!? ''hmm let me remove every last real-working-studios aspect from the disney-mgm studios''

''the new welcome spiel will go as follows: 'welcome to the disney-mgm studios, we USED to be a real-life working studios, but then we stopped filming in our soundstages... fired everyone and closed our animation department... completley lost sight of the theme and feel of our own theme park...... uhm... remember you're parked in GOOFY 38.. -and enjoy your day here at the disney-mgm studios!'"

:brick:

GoofyFan1

This is going to hurt!

My eight year old wants to be an animator when she gets older. She decided this when she was on the tour at MGM. Both of my kids love to brag about how they visit where the movie they just saw was made.

Just one more piece of the magic torn away. :confused: :mad: :cry:

General Grizz

Do not fear! For by the time your eight-year-old shall grow to be of age of animation, I am quite sure Disney will have transformed itself to original tradition. Behold! :lookaroun :D

imagineersrock

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
Do not fear! For by the time your eight-year-old shall grow to be of age of animation, I am quite sure Disney will have transformed itself to original tradition. Behold! :lookaroun :D

one would only hope...!:cool:

WDWhumanmap

no i am surly w/ inmagineer boy this is the last straw they can't do this an put these people out on the streets just as i was going to be an animator there at wdw its sad but true but esiner has gone to far w/ this one its a said day when they closed rides like horizons food rocks etc. but now your messing w/ the wrong crowds there better off and i hate saying this b/c thats whats going to happen but closing down all for good stop making movies like they have enough people every where else most of there movies were made w/ animators or fully at wdw animation facility what about lilo and stitch the lion king etc. those where there biggest movies and they were made if not completely but half at wdw its pathetic and something needs to be done before we never see another disney movie again then why have wdw or dl at all it makes me :cry: and :hurl:

GoofyFan1

Thanks for the encouragement!

I haven't told her of Disney's plan yet. But I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that someone will come to their senses.

As I say to my students, "there is still a place for old fashioned experimenting." " The computer isn't the answer to all problems."

Maybe Eisner should consider that thought.

General Grizz

Eisner should be out by 2007, unless he's booted between now and then. Let's hope he doesn't put a Disney-hating, money-grabbing exec. in his place. . .

Avenger23

I don't see why people get so riled up over these types of things.

They are doing nothing but trimming costs in an area that has ( as of late ) become very un-profitable to them. Every busniess with any degree of sense does the same.

Realisticly, people on the whole just are not interested in 2d animation as much as they have been in the past. Lilo and Stich was an exception for people's moods lately. Disney probaly made a mistake opening all these extra animation studios to begin with.

I know so many people want to scream " Eisners cheap, they are greedy, Etc. " but think for a minute...if you owned a company and you were consinstently losing money, would you continue to employ people that were causing you to lose money?

The fact is this, as much as Walt Disney was a genius, and as much as I love the work he created, he was not a good busniess man. That is often true of visionaries.

However, once you make a company public with stock offerings, you no longer are free to do anything you want just because you think it is right. You have to do what is good for the shareholders, because it is their money you are playing with.

Hopefully these people will find work elsewhere, and if not they like millions of other people in the world who are watching their chosen professions evolving will have to go and get new schooling, training or strike out on their own. It is just the way it is, I just wish people wouldn't always react so emotionaly to these types of situations and try to think about themselves in the positions.

What you never hear about is how many other jobs may be saved or possibily CREATED elsewhere within the company because of cuts in the non-profitable areas. I have no idea if this is happening or not, but you rarely hear of it when it does because that doesn't make for good reporting.

I certainly do not pretend to know everything, but I do know that The Walt Disney Company as it is today is far better off it was when Eisner took over. Is it his time to go? Prehaps, but that isn't for us to decide unless you are a shareholder, because again, it is their(your) money he is working with. We all have our opinions to be sure, all I wish people would do is think things out a little more before making statements of greed and evil.

Just my 2cents,

Joel

GoofyFan1

MGM STUDIOS says it all! People like to see a WORKING studio.

I remember watching Tom Hanks make To the Moon and Back in '97 and we saw them working on Brother Bear last year at Christmas Time.

I understand the money angle, but how about fresh stories? Cost control doesn't always have to be cut, cut ,cut.

:hammer:

TURKEY

Originally posted by Avenger23
I don't see why people get so riled up over these types of things.

They are doing nothing but trimming costs in an area that has ( as of late ) become very un-profitable to them. Every busniess with any degree of sense does the same.

Realisticly, people on the whole just are not interested in 2d animation as much as they have been in the past. Lilo and Stich was an exception for people's moods lately. Disney probaly made a mistake opening all these extra animation studios to begin with.

I know so many people want to scream " Eisners cheap, they are greedy, Etc. " but think for a minute...if you owned a company and you were consinstently losing money, would you continue to employ people that were causing you to lose money?

The fact is this, as much as Walt Disney was a genius, and as much as I love the work he created, he was not a good busniess man. That is often true of visionaries.

However, once you make a company public with stock offerings, you no longer are free to do anything you want just because you think it is right. You have to do what is good for the shareholders, because it is their money you are playing with.

Hopefully these people will find work elsewhere, and if not they like millions of other people in the world who are watching their chosen professions evolving will have to go and get new schooling, training or strike out on their own. It is just the way it is, I just wish people wouldn't always react so emotionaly to these types of situations and try to think about themselves in the positions.

What you never hear about is how many other jobs may be saved or possibily CREATED elsewhere within the company because of cuts in the non-profitable areas. I have no idea if this is happening or not, but you rarely hear of it when it does because that doesn't make for good reporting.

I certainly do not pretend to know everything, but I do know that The Walt Disney Company as it is today is far better off it was when Eisner took over. Is it his time to go? Prehaps, but that isn't for us to decide unless you are a shareholder, because again, it is their(your) money he is working with. We all have our opinions to be sure, all I wish people would do is think things out a little more before making statements of greed and evil.

Trimming costs? Don't you mean drastically cutting/eliminating them?

People are interested in a story. Without a story, a film will be nothing. Just look at Final Fantasy or whatever that film was. It was beautiful, yet had a horrible plot and bombed.

Eisner doesn't own the company. The company isn't losing money.

You don't just play with stockholders money. You also play with all the employees money. There is or rather should be a responsible to those that make the company and Eisner money.

Disney has always been 2D, hand drawn animation. That's how all of this got started. If you asked 10 years ago about today, would you have said that there would be no more traditional animation department?

Cuts are being made in theme parks (in terms of employees, benefits, and hours) and most other divisions (at least in terms of benefits) of the company.

I wonder how many people out there think Eisner is not greedy. He's got his millions. Most employees that help make his money get little and will probally never see $1 million in their lifetimes. Why not refuse some money and help pay some bonuses, benefits, or raises?

Woody13

Originally posted by turkey leg boy
If you asked 10 years ago about today, would you have said that there would be no more traditional animation department?

The Disney company will continue to have a traditional animation department. It is located in Burbank, CA and it employs about 600 to 700 artists.

TURKEY

Originally posted by Woody13
The Disney company will continue to have a traditional animation department. It is located in Burbank, CA and it employs about 600 to 700 artists.

For how long? They'll probally be axed in a few years.

I know there are still that many left. But it's still not like it was 5 or 10 years ago. 10 years ago, would you have said there would only be 700 traditional artists left?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom