News Disney CFO Christine McCarthy says Disney will continue to focus on existing intellectual property for new park investments

JD80

I get the financial aspects of this. Given the tremendous development costs I don’t think there’s an easily alternative.

I suggested it’s antithetical to the notion they like to brag about as expert storytellers when their creative process (at least in the parks - unclear on the movie/series side) is premised on on data mining. In that sense ChatGPT is more creative than WDI.
I'm sorry but this is not reality at all.

When creating experiences, lands, attractions or show inside the parks based on IP there is still monumental amounts of creativity that goes in to creating those things. Saying "in that sense ChatGPT is more creative than WDI" is incredibly insulting and is extremely ignorant.

JD80

Respectfully, they aren't, at least not compared to what they were in the past. They objectively create fewer new corporate divisions than they did in the past. New IP makes up a much smaller percentage of their overall business model than it did in the past. Yes they create SOME things. But fewer things compared to in the past. Particularly when it comes to the parks, which is what this forum is about. I'm sorry if I'm coming off as rude or blunt but TWDC, and really the entertainment industry as a whole right now, is kind of a creative draught and is really focused on exploiting existing brands as opposed to inventing new ones.

Such a weird way of thinking of things. For it to be "new" or "creative" it has to come from a specific division that isn't part of a previous acquisition? So Mandalorian isn't creative? Endgame isn't creative? The days where you have a handful of channels and the movie theatre don't exist. The days of network TV plus cable plus movies don't even exist anymore.

Generally speaking - You've got Network, Cable, Movies, Streaming, Youtube/Internet content. There is more content out there than ever before in human civilization. Maybe you're just watching/consuming the wrong stuff or missing out on some of the greater things out there. It may seem like a creative draught, but the talent is just spread more wide so you're exposed to more mediocre to average stuff than ever before. People need to learn how to curate the content or sources they get content from better.

MagicHappens1971

Such a weird way of thinking of things. For it to be "new" or "creative" it has to come from a specific division that isn't part of a previous acquisition? So Mandalorian isn't creative? Endgame isn't creative?
To many on here, the answer to that question is no. They’re not creative because they’re just extensions of existing IP. I disagree, as do many I’m sure. But the loud majority on here is “IP bad”

JMcMahonEsq

Definitely. IP has a time and a place, and that time and place isn't "anytime and everywhere." Without original attractions you can't have compelling parks and attractions like what you saw being developed pre-Iger.

Erm....no it hasn't. Disney saying they want to integrate x IP into the parks is one thing. Disney saying they they have no interest in original ideas or attractions is another. The former has always been industry standard, yes. The latter...hasn't? The IP mandate is a new thing and that's why people complain about it. Especially because now it comes at the cost of both classic attractions being replaced with usually inferior ones, and the parks' thematic cores being compromised for the purpose of brand and syngery. Which no, was not the case pre-Iger.

In the last 10 years, has there been an attraction build that didn't leverage IP? From the MK expansions in 2014 onward, I can't think of a single major new build that didn't use pre-existing IP. Pandora, Toy Story Land, Galay's Edge, ect. What is the timeline that you are using that this is a "New Thing"

MagicHappens1971

In the last 10 years, has there been an attraction build that didn't leverage IP? From the MK expansions in 2014 onward, I can't think of a single major new build that didn't use pre-existing IP. Pandora, Toy Story Land, Galay's Edge, ect. What is the timeline that you are using that this is a "New Thing"
Mystic Manor at HKDL? Latest Disney attraction I can think of

Tha Realest

I'm sorry but this is not reality at all.

When creating experiences, lands, attractions or show inside the parks based on IP there is still monumental amounts of creativity that goes in to creating those things. Saying "in that sense ChatGPT is more creative than WDI" is incredibly insulting and is extremely ignorant.
You have your opinion, I have mine. Marty Sklar’s blank piece of paper has been replaced by “minutes viewed” spreadsheets for D+ shows.

When the idea for a project doesn’t germinate from the imagination but instead on some algorithm, then I believe that undercuts the entire creative process.

Bocabear

IP is great...it all depends on placement and execution...there are tons of attractions that can be developed from existing IP that will perfectly fit places in each of the existing parks...It's when they put Moana in Future World and Frozen in a Norwegian Pavilion that they start to lose trust with the fans.
The Frozen ride is cute...might have been better in the Magic Kingdom the way that Tokyo is doing... where it could be a big league attraction and draw.
So far, Ratatouille is the most perfectly placed of the IP attractions in EPCOT.
Guardians Of The Galaxy is a fun ride...I wish we could have maintained the original mission statement of EPCOT though...but they did a fine job with the actual attraction...
Disney certainly owns a ton of varied IP...they need not purchase IP to use in the parks...so that is a good thing...and maybe we will start getting some old school great attractions again, meaningfully placed in parks where they belong...If this is what we are going to do let's get Coco in Mexico already...like yesterday...

Indy_UK

It’s bit of a no brainer that you let the people know who build stuff in the parks what are the most watched movies and shows in the Cinema or Disney+ to help leverage popularity and profit in the parks

doctornick

To many on here, the answer to that question is no. They’re not creative because they’re just extensions of existing IP. I disagree, as do many I’m sure. But the loud majority on here is “IP bad”

Just to add to this, there's inevitable some source material to any creative endeavor. For most "classic" Disney films, there was a fairy tale or book that served as a basis (similar to how comic book stories form the basis for the MCU films). But even "brand new" park ideas draw on things like cultural heritage to resonate - Haunted Mansion comes from a tradition of scary haunted houses (but puts a funny twist on it), Frontierland draws on the popularity of westerns and their tropes, Tomorrowland and Future World had their basis on future ideas inspired by science, etc. It's not like things were developed in a vacuum.

That doesn't mean I agree with an exclusive IP focus for the parks, but I think people are way to harsh on them as not being "creative"

MagicHappens1971

I asked chatGPT this "Would you be able to design a Zootopia-themed land for Disney's Animal Kingdom park, that highlights the three following core principles of the park: the intrinsic value of nature, physiological transformation through adventure, and a personal call to action."

And this is what it gave me:

Certainly! Here's an idea for a Zootopia-themed land at Disney's Animal Kingdom park that incorporates the core principles of the park: the intrinsic value of nature, physiological transformation through adventure, and a personal call to action.

Theme: Zootopia: Harmony in the Wild

Overview: Step into the bustling and diverse city of Zootopia, where humans and anthropomorphic animals coexist harmoniously. The land celebrates the wonders of nature, the transformative power of adventure, and inspires guests to make a difference in the world.

Themed Areas:

1. Savanna Central: Begin your journey in the heart of Zootopia, where the vast savanna stretches into the distance. Encounter an immersive African landscape with acacia trees, tall grasses, and rocky outcroppings. Meet beloved Zootopia characters like Judy Hopps and Nick Wilde, who encourage guests to respect and appreciate the intrinsic value of nature.
Attractions and Experiences:

• Savanna Safari: Embark on an open-air safari adventure, where guests board rugged vehicles to explore the savanna. Encounter a variety of African animal species in their natural habitats, while learning about conservation efforts and the importance of preserving wildlife.
  • Hopps' Pursuit: Join Officer Judy Hopps in a thrilling chase through Savanna Central, as guests board a high-speed attraction inspired by her nimble moves and determined spirit. Zoom through city streets, avoiding obstacles and solving cases alongside Judy.
  • Wildlife Encounters: Throughout Savanna Central, guests can participate in interactive experiences with animal ambassadors, where they learn about the different species, their habitats, and conservation efforts.
  1. Rainforest District: Venture into a lush, tropical rainforest teeming with life and adventure. Discover towering trees, cascading waterfalls, and a rich diversity of flora and fauna. This area highlights the physiological transformation that occurs through exploration and encounters with nature.

• Jungle Journey: Embark on a boat ride through the vibrant rainforest, where guests encounter exotic animals, hidden ruins, and mesmerizing sights and sounds. The journey showcases the interconnectedness of ecosystems and the need to protect fragile environments.
  • Treetop Trails: Climb aboard a challenging aerial obstacle course, suspended high above the Rainforest District. Guests navigate rope bridges, ziplines, and other thrilling elements, experiencing firsthand the exhilaration and transformation that comes with pushing boundaries and embracing adventure.
  • Creature Conservation: Visit a research station within the rainforest, where guests interact with scientists and conservationists working to protect endangered species. Learn about the critical role humans play in preserving wildlife habitats and make a personal call to action to support conservation efforts.
  1. Zootopia City: Enter the bustling metropolis of Zootopia, a vibrant urban landscape where animals of all shapes and sizes live together. This area emphasizes the personal call to action, inspiring guests to embrace diversity, overcome prejudice, and make a positive impact in their own communities.

• Zootopia Express: Board a monorail-style transportation system that takes guests on a scenic tour of Zootopia City, showcasing the different districts and highlighting the city's inclusive spirit.
  • Carrot Chronicles: Join Nick Wilde on a 3D dark ride adventure through Zootopia's neighborhoods, as guests help solve a city-wide mystery while challenging stereotypes and promoting understanding and inclusivity.
  • Empowerment Station: An interactive area where guests can engage in hands-on activities, such as designing posters, creating personal pledges, and sharing ideas for making a positive impact in their communities. It serves as a reminder that change begins with individuals.
Dining and Shopping:

• Paw Print Café: A quick-service restaurant offering a variety of globally-inspired cuisines, showcasing the culinary diversity of Zootopia.
  • Savanna Sundries: A merchandise location in Savanna Central, featuring Zootopia-themed apparel, toys, and eco-friendly products.
  • Rainforest Rhythms: A tropical-inspired snack kiosk in the Rainforest District, offering refreshing beverages, tropical fruits, and plant-based treats.
  • Zootopia Emporium: A flagship store in Zootopia City, providing guests with a wide range of merchandise celebrating the film and promoting messages of unity and acceptance.
"Zootopia: Harmony in the Wild" brings the beloved characters and themes of the film to life while staying true to the core principles of Disney's Animal Kingdom. It highlights the intrinsic value of nature, encourages physiological transformation through adventure, and inspires guests to take action and make a positive difference in their own communities.

This is just for arguments sake, but this is a pretty interesting and creative execution of Zootopia for DAK, although nothing they do with Zootopia for DAK will be nearly this creative. It'll again, be the copy and paste of the Shangai attraction.

WaltsTreasureChest

I asked chatGPT this "Would you be able to design a Zootopia-themed land for Disney's Animal Kingdom park, that highlights the three following core principles of the park: the intrinsic value of nature, physiological transformation through adventure, and a personal call to action."

And this is what it gave me:

Certainly! Here's an idea for a Zootopia-themed land at Disney's Animal Kingdom park that incorporates the core principles of the park: the intrinsic value of nature, physiological transformation through adventure, and a personal call to action.

Theme: Zootopia: Harmony in the Wild

Overview: Step into the bustling and diverse city of Zootopia, where humans and anthropomorphic animals coexist harmoniously. The land celebrates the wonders of nature, the transformative power of adventure, and inspires guests to make a difference in the world.

Themed Areas:

1. Savanna Central: Begin your journey in the heart of Zootopia, where the vast savanna stretches into the distance. Encounter an immersive African landscape with acacia trees, tall grasses, and rocky outcroppings. Meet beloved Zootopia characters like Judy Hopps and Nick Wilde, who encourage guests to respect and appreciate the intrinsic value of nature.

• Savanna Safari: Embark on an open-air safari adventure, where guests board rugged vehicles to explore the savanna. Encounter a variety of African animal species in their natural habitats, while learning about conservation efforts and the importance of preserving wildlife.
  • Hopps' Pursuit: Join Officer Judy Hopps in a thrilling chase through Savanna Central, as guests board a high-speed attraction inspired by her nimble moves and determined spirit. Zoom through city streets, avoiding obstacles and solving cases alongside Judy.
  • Wildlife Encounters: Throughout Savanna Central, guests can participate in interactive experiences with animal ambassadors, where they learn about the different species, their habitats, and conservation efforts.
  1. Rainforest District: Venture into a lush, tropical rainforest teeming with life and adventure. Discover towering trees, cascading waterfalls, and a rich diversity of flora and fauna. This area highlights the physiological transformation that occurs through exploration and encounters with nature.

• Jungle Journey: Embark on a boat ride through the vibrant rainforest, where guests encounter exotic animals, hidden ruins, and mesmerizing sights and sounds. The journey showcases the interconnectedness of ecosystems and the need to protect fragile environments.
  • Treetop Trails: Climb aboard a challenging aerial obstacle course, suspended high above the Rainforest District. Guests navigate rope bridges, ziplines, and other thrilling elements, experiencing firsthand the exhilaration and transformation that comes with pushing boundaries and embracing adventure.
  • Creature Conservation: Visit a research station within the rainforest, where guests interact with scientists and conservationists working to protect endangered species. Learn about the critical role humans play in preserving wildlife habitats and make a personal call to action to support conservation efforts.
  1. Zootopia City: Enter the bustling metropolis of Zootopia, a vibrant urban landscape where animals of all shapes and sizes live together. This area emphasizes the personal call to action, inspiring guests to embrace diversity, overcome prejudice, and make a positive impact in their own communities.

• Zootopia Express: Board a monorail-style transportation system that takes guests on a scenic tour of Zootopia City, showcasing the different districts and highlighting the city's inclusive spirit.
  • Carrot Chronicles: Join Nick Wilde on a 3D dark ride adventure through Zootopia's neighborhoods, as guests help solve a city-wide mystery while challenging stereotypes and promoting understanding and inclusivity.
  • Empowerment Station: An interactive area where guests can engage in hands-on activities, such as designing posters, creating personal pledges, and sharing ideas for making a positive impact in their communities. It serves as a reminder that change begins with individuals.
Dining and Shopping:

• Paw Print Café: A quick-service restaurant offering a variety of globally-inspired cuisines, showcasing the culinary diversity of Zootopia.
  • Savanna Sundries: A merchandise location in Savanna Central, featuring Zootopia-themed apparel, toys, and eco-friendly products.
  • Rainforest Rhythms: A tropical-inspired snack kiosk in the Rainforest District, offering refreshing beverages, tropical fruits, and plant-based treats.
  • Zootopia Emporium: A flagship store in Zootopia City, providing guests with a wide range of merchandise celebrating the film and promoting messages of unity and acceptance.
"Zootopia: Harmony in the Wild" brings the beloved characters and themes of the film to life while staying true to the core principles of Disney's Animal Kingdom. It highlights the intrinsic value of nature, encourages physiological transformation through adventure, and inspires guests to take action and make a positive difference in their own communities.

This is just for arguments sake, but this is a pretty interesting and creative execution of Zootopia for DAK, although nothing they do with Zootopia for DAK will be nearly this creative. It'll again, be the copy and paste of the Shangai attract

D776C673-DEC4-4E10-8AF0-3228FBC4B344.gif

scottieRoss

While I read these boards daily, I rarely post. But, I have to agree with the fact that IP is where Disney is going...And it is the right direction.
When Sue from West Virginia, or Maddy from Massachusetts plan their family trip to finally see Disney World, all they care about is IP. They do not know the acronym IP, but it is what they want. Which parks do I visit? Which park has Star Wars? Which park has Avengers? Which park has the princesses? Which park has Harry Potter?

Then, when they get home, which attractions are they telling their neighbors about? Elsa was in EPCOT. Mickey Ride was in the Studios. I could not ride the Harry Potter World ride because I could not find it. Oh and I waited online for 1 hour and Jungle Book sucked. What was up with the stupid fake bird show and the old teddy bear show. They are so dated and need to go.

While we may enjoy the classic attractions without IP, that is not what most Disney visitors want to see. They do not go to EPCOT because they have been taught it is boring and a waste of money. The original concept for EPCOT was a failure within the first few years. People do not want to pay 100 or more dollars for something they are not familiar with. They want the comfort of their favorite shows. and characters. Why do you think that when they opened Disney/MGM studios they licensed the MGM library? Because they learned their lesson with EPCOT. Joe Rhode tried again with Animal Kingdom and created all new IP and what happened? The safari lost its Red and its message. Then Kali lost its story. Edutainment is a big goal but not what people want, so it is not what is produced. IP is what guests want and it is what is being produced now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
IP is great...it all depends on placement and execution...there are tons of attractions that can be developed from existing IP that will perfectly fit places in each of the existing parks...It's when they put Moana in Future World and Frozen in a Norwegian Pavilion that they start to lose trust with the fans.
The Frozen ride is cute...might have been better in the Magic Kingdom the way that Tokyo is doing... where it could be a big league attraction and draw.
So far, Ratatouille is the most perfectly placed of the IP attractions in EPCOT.
Guardians Of The Galaxy is a fun ride...I wish we could have maintained the original mission statement of EPCOT though...but they did a fine job with the actual attraction...
Disney certainly owns a ton of varied IP...they need not purchase IP to use in the parks...so that is a good thing...and maybe we will start getting some old school great attractions again, meaningfully placed in parks where they belong...If this is what we are going to do let's get Coco in Mexico already...like yesterday...
I’m a park “purist” and like my original designs…

But tower and imagination ain’t coming through that door again.

That’s ok…plenty of IP based things can be done of quality.

But start doing something.

I like the idea of the Moana and coco areas…even if they were 100% lies at the time. Do it.

Want IP? Get to your Star Wars land. Now. Doesn’t mean you get rid of what you built…but augment it. Their sequels failed…move on. How? By just going to the past and doing that. Hell…the OT is just as old/classic as pirates and small world now…

Avatar looks like it will be around for along time. Add to it.

It’s really not that hard.

Doing nothing will advance park rot. And Iger should be fired for that alone - but I’m a tough critic

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
While I read these boards daily, I rarely post. But, I have to agree with the fact that IP is where Disney is going...And it is the right direction.
When Sue from West Virginia, or Maddy from Massachusetts plan their family trip to finally see Disney World, all they care about is IP. They do not know the acronym IP, but it is what they want. Which parks do I visit? Which park has Star Wars? Which park has Avengers? Which park has the princesses? Which park has Harry Potter?

Then, when they get home, which attractions are they telling their neighbors about? Elsa was in EPCOT. Mickey Ride was in the Studios. I could not ride the Harry Potter World ride because I could not find it. Oh and I waited online for 1 hour and Jungle Book sucked. What was up with the stupid fake bird show and the old teddy bear show. They are so dated and need to go.

While we may enjoy the classic attractions without IP, that is not what most Disney visitors want to see. They do not go to EPCOT because they have been taught it is boring and a waste of money. The original concept for EPCOT was a failure within the first few years. People do not want to pay 100 or more dollars for something they are not familiar with. They want the comfort of their favorite shows. and characters. Why do you think that when they opened Disney/MGM studios they licensed the MGM library? Because they learned their lesson with EPCOT. Joe Rhode tried again with Animal Kingdom and created all new IP and what happened? The safari lost its Red and its message. Then Kali lost its story. Edutainment is a big goal but not what people want, so it is not what is produced. IP is what guests want and it is what is being produced now.
I can attest that it’s unlikely Sue is getting there…and that gap is growing.

Which is another course correction they might want to consider before it’s too late.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’ve been saying it for years. IP works in the right place and in moderation. There was always a balance between IP and originality. Without the latter there would be no Jungle Cruise. No POTC. No BTM. No HM. No Space Mountain. No Horizons. No SSE. No Journey into Imagination (ironically). And so on.

The suits of todays company can’t see beyond their next quarterly. They’re floundering. And it shows.
I don’t believe you…prove you’ve been saying this for years 🤪

CoasterSnoop

I think the big issue a lot of us have with Disney's insistence on IP-based attractions is timelessness. McCarthy claims the desire to use IP "that really resonate(s) with our customers." But if there's one constant in pop culture, it's that it's ever-changing. It's human nature that as a collective, we all get tired of thing and move on to other thing. While it's true that some IP can transcend this, the vast majority of it cannot. What resonates now is not what resonates ten years from now, and by-and-large, you want theme park rides to last more than ten years.

So, long-term, with a plan like this, you just wind up with a multitude of dated attractions and not enough desire/cash to replace them with something new because there are so many of them. A good example is Uni's Revenge of the Mummy. Despite their efforts to reboot that franchise, the ride's theme is horrifically outdated, despite the quality of the ride itself. Versus something like Everest, which remains a titan in amusement ride storytelling that pulls in consistent lines, acts as a highlight to plenty of vacations, and retains a modern feeling despite being over 15 years old without any connection to IP.

So, sure, if you flood the parks with, say, Guardians of the Galaxy right now, that's a good decision in the short-term because people are going to want to book trips specifically for the Guardians of the Galaxy ride. Vol 3 just released, and James Gunn signaled that we won't be seeing those characters as a team again. How long before those rides are tacky relics of a time long past? I'd bet serious money that when that happens, Everest is still pulling in enthusiastic crowds.

Jenny72

It's easy to simply declare that park guests want IP but I'm not sure. There is *so much* media that competes for kids' (and adults') attention nowadays. When we last went to the parks, we didn't even recognize half the characters. We like Disney shows ok, but we don't fixate on everything that comes out. I distinctly remember when a Michelin-man looking dude went by at Epcot, and my son was like, "what was that?" I just said "Some character from a movie, I assume."

I don't think we're that different than all the other guests. It's sure not Disney+ content that makes us want to go to the parks. But I don't think it's designed to draw people to the parks anyway. It's to sell the latest media. And as the previous poster pointed out, some of that latest media is going to look tacky and dated in ten years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom