News Disney CFO Christine McCarthy says Disney will continue to focus on existing intellectual property for new park investments

JD80

Don’t even bother. Some people on the internet like to exaggerate, and view things in extremes.

I agree with you, I like a balance of IP and none IP

Last 5 years:
  • Toy Story Land
    • Slinky Dog Dash
    • Alien Swirling Saucers
    • TSM (if it counts)
  • SWGE
    • Falcon
    • Rise
  • MMRR
  • Tron
  • GotG
  • Remy
  • Lightning McQueen (if it counts)
That's 10 attractions, assuming I'm not forgetting anything. If you are in charge of the parks, which ones are you pulling for an unknown new IP and why? What makes this new IP a better draw for the parks? In your opinion would it sell more park tickets, vacations and merch?

What is your optimum ratio of balance between new IP for the parks and leveraging existing IP? For every 10 rides, 3 need to be original park IP? 2?

The next question is, how much more are you willing to spend on marketing for each attraction to explain and showcase the new IP? Existing IP already has an existing fan base and base content to build from, new IP you need to build up everything.

How much are you spending on things like market research? How many iterations are you willing to go through doing focus groups to make sure your story/characters are worth spending hundreds of millions on?

There is a real world cost of developing new IP for the parks instead of leveraging existing IP. Leveraging popular existing IP skips a lot of development costs. How many animatronics are you willing to sacrifice on the development of a new ride because you need to firm up brand new IP?

WaltsTreasureChest

Last 5 years:
  • Toy Story Land
    • Slinky Dog Dash
    • Alien Swirling Saucers
    • TSM (if it counts)
  • SWGE
    • Falcon
    • Rise
  • MMRR
  • Tron
  • GotG
  • Remy
That's 10 attractions, assuming I'm not forgetting anything. If you are in charge of the parks, which ones are you pulling for an unknown new IP and why? What makes this new IP a better draw for the parks? In your opinion would it sell more park tickets, vacations and merch?

What is your optimum ratio of balance between new IP for the parks and leveraging existing IP? For every 10 rides, 3 need to be original park IP? 2?

The next question is, how much more are you willing to spend on marketing for each attraction to explain and showcase the new IP? Existing IP already has an existing fan base and base content to build from, new IP you need to build up everything.

How much are you spending on things like market research? How many iterations are you willing to go through doing focus groups to make sure your story/characters are worth spending hundreds of millions on?

There is a real world cost of developing new IP for the parks instead of leveraging existing IP. Leveraging popular existing IP skips a lot of development costs. How many animatronics are you willing to sacrifice on the development of a new ride because you need to firm up brand new IP?
I’ll be honest with you JD, I don’t have the all answers for all those questions. I wish I did, but maybe I’d have a better grasp of the specifics if I worked at Disney 😂😂, these are just my thoughts on a broader spectrum. I personally wouldn’t remove any of those rides, I think they’re fine. Im just saying that I believe the company should focus on a better balance of Ip and non IP for the future. I would go for what best fits theming in a particular park/area, and market our IPs that best fit them (original/IP based) and so on. The great thing about creating original rides is the potential to create franchises based off them. Pirates, haunted mansion, Jungle cruise, etc. Considering its been done before.

Last edited:

Jenny72

Does movie IP always have a big existing fanbase, though? Some of them do--like Frozen, Nemo, Star Wars. I'm less certain about some of the other ones, like Zootopia, Tron, Ratatouille. I'd argue you might actually have a larger existing fanbase for "dinosaurs" or "pirates" or "haunted houses" than something like Ratatouille.

WaltsTreasureChest

Does movie IP always have a big existing fanbase, though? Some of them do--like Frozen, Nemo, Star Wars. I'm less certain about some of the other ones, like Zootopia, Tron, Ratatouille. I'd argue you might actually have a larger existing fanbase for "dinosaurs" or "pirates" or "haunted houses" than something like Ratatouille.
Agreed. And If the success of the Pirates franchise wasnt already enough evidence, I don’t know what is, lol. Thats how you market and expand what once was an original indoor dark ride, to an extremely successful blockbuster franchise with a huge fanbase that’s now engrained into pop culture

BlakeW39

Definitely. Generalized concepts like 'animals,' or 'dinosaurs,' or even 'sci-fi' have a much broader appeal than any one, specific IP. Even the really popular IPs in my opinion, like Frozen, Nemo, and Star Wars. What is the average person more likely to be interested in, dinosaurs as a concept or Zootopia as an IP? Ask a random person.... what do you find more appealing, a ride where you go on a dinosaur safari, or a ride where you tour Zootopia with Nick Wilde? The most likely response you're gonna get is, "who is Nick Wilde?"

Last edited:

WaltsTreasureChest

Definitely. Generalized concepts like 'animals,' or 'dinosaurs,' or even 'sci-fi' have a much broader appeal than any one, specific IP. Even the really popular IPs in my opinion, like Frozen, Nemo, and Star Wars. What is the average person more likely to be interested in, dinosaurs as a concept or Zootopia as an IP? Ask a random person.... what do you find more appealing, a ride where you go on a dinosaur safari, or a ride where you tour Zootopia with Nicke Wilde? The most likely response you're gonna get is, "who is Nick Wilde?"
Not gonna lie, I asked that Nick Wilde question in my head just right now 🤣🤣🤣

Jenny72

This is kind of a weird way to say this, but I wonder if part of the focus on movie IP is that the corporate leaders think people are...a bit...stupid? Like, we can only enjoy things if we're fed content through a screen, and then we get excited to see clips of that same content on a water screen during a theme park show, or repeated through music, etc.. But they think we couldn't handle it if we had to actively participate in dreaming up new ideas.

And yes, I have had my share of cursing human stupidity, but I'm not sure that most people really are so closed to creativity that they can't conceive of new ideas that they haven't already been fed through a screen. Arguably, we're all seeking more creativity now, in a world that is overwhelmed by "content" everywhere (much of it already regurgitated).

el_super

Not necessarily, because a 2% increase in attendence falls within the standard, year-to-year deviation of DCA park attendance.

So for the year Everest opened at Animal Kingdom, how much of the increase can be attributed to just standard year to year deviation?

Percentage wise it looks impressive for Animal Kingdom in 2006, but it looks like it's about the same 500k increase as MK that year.

JD80

I’ll be honest with you JD, I don’t have the all answers for all those questions. I wish I did, but maybe I’d have a better grasp of the specifics if I worked at Disney 😂😂, these are just my thoughts on a broader spectrum. I personally wouldn’t remove any of those rides, I think they’re fine. Im just saying that I believe the company should focus on a better balance of Ip and non IP for the future. I would go for what best fits theming in a particular park/area, and market our IPs that best fit them (original/IP based) and so on. The great thing about creating original rides is the potential to create franchises based off them. Pirates, haunted mansion, Jungle cruise, etc. Considering its been done before.
Or maybe you should realize that going on about original IP isn't as easy as hitting Post Reply on a message board and a more nuanced discussion is worth everyone's attention.

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
This is kind of a weird way to say this, but I wonder if part of the focus on movie IP is that the corporate leaders think people are...a bit...stupid?
I've been thinking the exact same thing. TWDC thinks that the only motivation for increased attendance in their parks is more tie-ins to currently relevant IP. And while I'm sure some people traveled to WDW to ride GOTG:CR, I don't know if that particular number is marginally higher than what a non-IP Big Bang roller coaster would have drawn. And in this case, they have hitched their wagon to an IP that in 20 years will likely not be as culturally relevant.

IP-free attractions (for the most part) are timeless, and that makes them much more worthwhile investments. Look at how long Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain have stuck around...if Space Mountain were themed to The Black Hole, they would have had to change it decades ago. But it's not, and that's why it's so good. Likewise, if Big Thunder Mountain were originally themed to The Apple Dumpling Gang with Don Knotts, it would have had to change. It's not, and that's why it works.

Why is Twister gone from USF? To be replaced by a more relevant IP in Jimmy Fallon. But when Jimmy Fallon is in his 70s, 80s, or deceased, is Escape from New York still going to be there in its current state? Doubtful. (Honestly, I'm amazed MIB is still there).

The bottom line is this: IP-based attractions are only solid investments if the IP is clearly a classic. Guardians, Ratatouille, and the Star Wars sequel trilogy are not, and I think this will come back to bite them in future decades. More replacing and not adding.

WaltsTreasureChest

Or maybe you should realize that going on about original IP isn't as easy as hitting Post Reply on a message board and a more nuanced discussion is worth everyone's attention.
Yeah but JD, I don’t have the answers to any of those specific questions, and I’m not gonna pretend I do. I’m just speaking generally. Again, I’m not against IP, I just think it would be nice to have more of a balance between that and original IP moving forward in the parks. It isn’t impossible considering thats how things were done before.

I mean I’m not gonna give you the exact amount of how much it would take to remove animatronics and replace it with some other thing if a well known IP ride were to be changed to non IP ride. Never the less how much I would spend on marketing the project. That’s a huge hypothetical situation that you’re giving me as if I were CEO. Who of us here would know that? None of us know on here, let alone you, let’s be honest JD! Lets be honest 🤣🤣

Point blank, I’m simply saying, “hey it would be nice if we got a balance of original, as well as well known IPs at the parks for the following years”.

Last edited:

BlakeW39

So for the year Everest opened at Animal Kingdom, how much of the increase can be attributed to just standard year to year deviation?

Percentage wise it looks impressive for Animal Kingdom in 2006, but it looks like it's about the same 500k increase as MK that year.

Well I mean it's kind of hard to say. An increase in attendance of up to about 5% is pretty typical year to year for theme parks. For instance between 2012 and 2014 DAK's attendance increased about 4%. No new attractions or anything, just a variety of outside circumstances which cause park attendance to fluctuate from one year to the next. But from 2003 to 2005, DAK's attendance increased by 12.3%, which is... a lot. Not quite as much as the 15.8% we saw between 2005 and 2007 with Everest, but still, that's a big jump for nothing new to be added to the park. So you could draw the conclusion that new attractions aren't really the most reliable way to increase attendance to your theme park. Which aligns with the fact that, that isn't really why new attractions are built anyways. They don't primarily build new attractions to sell tickets, at least from my understanding. They build them for capacity reasons first and foremost. But still, I think my point still stands that IP attractions don't like... sell extra tickets or something compared to original attractions. Both can increase park attendance, but IP isn't the deciding factor in that. What's your take?

Pirates is the best example of the whole unnecessary breakdown you did, of how you can turn a ride of an original IP from the parks into a highly successful franchise that everyone’s familiar with.

Attachments

• 36836453-D805-40EC-BE69-B23B973B9F0E.gif
    36836453-D805-40EC-BE69-B23B973B9F0E.gif
    648.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

MagicHappens1971

1. what is the evidence that the average guest just LOVES Disney's new attractions? and why is that baseless claim always used as an excuse for Disney to design objectively mediocre rides? Average Joe will like anything that's new.... because IPger failed to give them anything 'new' for a decade.
What is your evidence that the average guest doesn't? It's not a baseless claim, your claim is actually baseless. Disney is a multi-million $$$ corporation, if they didn't have the data that proves IP = $$$, which we already know, they wouldn't continue to push it.
2. the general public and the people on this forum are not as wildly separate as you seem to think man, all due respect.
They are though. I don't think you even really pay attention to this forum if you truly feely that way. The general public don't even know what "IP" is, especially in this context.
I have heard people complain about IP outside of this forum, and if you really ask the average person on the street, 75% of the time they will say they prefer original ideas like dinosaurs to IP like Zootopia.
I respectfully disagree here. The "ride the movie" & "enter the world" mantra(s) have really been engrained in the theme park industry in the past decade. People are more likely to buy a Judy Hopps plush after getting off Dinosaur, rather than a Dinosaur.
(This is anecdotal, and I have no proof of this, like you have no proof of your basis)
Between the years 2005 and 2007, DAK's attendance increased ~16% with the opening of Expedition Everest in 2006. Frozen Ever After increased EPCOT's attendance by 5% from 2013 to 2015. The Seas with Nemo & Friends saw EPCOT's attendance increase by a similar 4% between 2006 and 2008. DAK's attendance increased 8.5% in 2006 with the opening of EE, while even when Hagrid's opened in 2019, attendance at IOA only increased 6.1%.
Attendance @ DAK jumped from 10.8M to 12.5M in 2017 when Pandora opened.

Comparing rethemes like FEA and Sea's with Nemo & Friends to a brand new attraction like Everest really isn't fair.
Large parks expansions, like Pandora, increase park attendance substantially more than single attractions do, but that's because they're huge expansions, not because they're tied to IP. Fact of the matter is that new attractions increase attendance whether an IP is attached or not. Expedition Everest was never expexted to fail at DAK because it wasn't based on some movie franchise, and to the contrary, Frozen didn't increase EPCOT's attendance much more than Nemo did in 2007.
I'll revisit the point I made earlier in this post, the theme park industry isn't just attendance, it's merch, F&B sales, etc. IP drives sales, it's just simple. People flock to the overpriced colored popcorn in Batuu because it's "Star Wars", same goes for the Coke bottles.
And as for it being a park that lacked rides and that's why it increased DAK's attendance, sure that's a factor, but it doesn't refute the point that it's the only single IP attraction Disney's produced this century and it also happens to be their most successful one.
Are you making the statement that Everest is their most successful "original" attraction? Also Mystic Manor opened in this decade, and that's not an IP-based attraction.
For sure, I'm not suggesting that raw attendence numbers are super telling here. The reason you invest in your parks isn't short term increases to attendance anyways, it's long term capacity, customer satisfaction, etc. EE drove attendance for a lot of reasons but it did that despite being an original attraction. It managed to draw huge crowds on its own merits, without being tied to a popular brand/IP.
You mention it later in your post, but Everest is probably the most "thrilling" attraction @ WDW (RnRc aside), that's a huge draw for families that have "tweens" and those looking for more of a thrill. That was probably it's biggest draw.
There is definitely some draw that comes with a popular IP, no doubt, I wouldn't argue otherwise. But IP isn't the only way to draw guests,
I will agree with you here, but it's a pretty much sure way to draw guests and make money.
especially if it's coming at the cost of thematic integrity inside the parks.
I agree with you here, and I have stated that I disagree with Zootopia going into DAK. I keep seeing Guardians as an argument of recent IP integration that breaks thematic integrity, can someone tell me what the "theme" of Epcot is?
So Bob's comment that IP drives return on investment more than they otherwise could... not necessarily, IP does drive consumer interest, but so do other things, as evidenced by the fact that most of Disney's most popular attractions long term are not based on IP
Combining Consumer Products with Disney Parks was another driving force into this IP integration.
I'd like to mention, by the way, that the reasoning for why TWDC invests in IP rethemes isn't primarily to drive short term spikes in attendance, it's to better utilize capacity long-term.
See this, I don't understand... Their goal isn't to better utilize capacity long-term, if that was true, they would've demoed Malestrom and rebuilt a purpose-built Frozen attraction or built it somewhere else. That's just one example. To Disney (and every other entertainment company on the planet) knows IP (Franchises) = $$$. Hence the Fast X, Transformers, Scream 6, etc, that just came out.

Disney spends upwards of $200M on new theme park attractions, and they'd rather know that it's going to be a hit because of the IP.
Personally, I think original attractions have been proven to accomplish this goal just as well as IP has, because most of the longer term, enduring attractions WDI has built, and the ones that use their capacity most effectively,
I agree that original attractions can and have accomplished the goal that you claim, but I don't think capacity is relevant because that is clearly not Disney's goal.
That's because time-honored themes and tropes, concepts like pirates, a voyage into space, or an African safari, have broader and longer-lasting appeal than specific IPs from modern pop-culture.....in my experience.
I want to buy into this argument, but I can't.
- Snow White's Scary Adventures
- Peter Pan's Flight
- Mad Tea Party
- Alice in Wonderland

Are just a few examples of "specific IPs from modern pop-culture" that have stood the test of time, since 1955. I see no reason as to why these new attractions can't do the same.

Last 5 years:
  • Toy Story Land
    • Slinky Dog Dash
    • Alien Swirling Saucers
    • TSM (if it counts)
  • SWGE
    • Falcon
    • Rise
  • MMRR
  • Tron
  • GotG
  • Remy

To be fair, nobody said anything about removing those rides. It would be stupid to, considering they’re (at the most) 5 years old. I think what people are saying is that they’d like a bit of original IP at play too. A newly added original ride wouldn’t hurt now, would it? I don’t know why some would be opposed to that. Never the less, for anyone to act like they know all the answers to the hypotheticals you listed is a bit ridiculous, I don’t think you’d have the answers for that either. Unless you’re Bob Iger 😂😂
How many animatronics are you willing to sacrifice on the development of a new ride because you need to firm up brand new IP?
Really? 😆😆😆

CoasterSnoop

The questions you posed in the first place are nonsense, though. I'm no expert, but I'd bet money that the question "what is the exact proper ratio between IP-based and non-IP-based attractions that we should hit?" has never been asked by anyone working at the Disney Parks in its entire history. When asking the question "how much would you be willing to spend on marketing?" I know for a fact you're not expecting an actual answer to that question because it's an unanswerable question on a fan board. Again, not an expert, but I'd bet money that nobody on this board works for Disney's business division. Not one of us can attest to Disney's finances and what amount to allocate to which project.

This is understood on a fan-forum. The very notion that anyone saying "man, I wish this media company would allow their creatives to use their own original stories in their theme park attractions from time to time as opposed to never" should back that statement up with financial advice for international multimedia conglomerate Disney is ludicrous.

Of course, this isn't what you're saying. Your questions are rhetorical and meant to serve your actual point that boils down to "it's not as simple as willing a non-IP attraction into existence, IP-based attractions do skip past marketing and research non-IP attractions would require," which isn't wrong. I'd argue Disney Parks got by more than fine handling what I imagine most of us consider a "balance" between these two types of attractions for the majority of its life, but I digress. Arguing that it's easier for Disney to invest in attractions that already have pre-built audiences isn't really proving anybody wrong. Of course they're safer investments, at least from the perspective of an executive in a boardroom. That's why they've been Bobby Bob Bob's sheep of choice for the past fifteen years.

The prevailing argument is that Disney is supposed to be the leader in this biz and that by forcing all of Imagineering's greenlit projects to be based on pre-existing content, their ability to create to their fullest potential is being stifled. That, perhaps, allowing WDI some breathing room on this matter would allow them to create attractions that stand on their own. Attractions that carry the spirit of creative innovation that division of the company represents, which in-turn creates a much more engaging product for a wider audience than a pre-existing core Disney fanbase. That if they make a Zootopia attraction, it ought to be because somebody had an idea for an attraction, and not simply because it's an IP they haven't utilized yet.

WDI and the Parks have operated on the goodwill they built over decades. It can take awhile for that goodwill to fade due to how rock-solid the foundation is. But, as @Poseidon Quest rightfully pointed out, people are becoming creatively disillusioned with Disney at the moment, and that's not something you can easily quantify and slap on a boardroom chart. Again, considering that rock-solid goodwill, it can take awhile for a trend like that to show up in The Numbers. However, it's already becoming Disney's problem at the cinema. Their movies aren't failing, and there are indeed some successes for now, but the amount of disappointments from the tentpole has increased in the last few years. The dedicated audience is shrinking. How long before it's an issue with their (premium-priced) parks?

tl;dr: My point is that it's not a logistical argument, it's usually a creative one. And the latter is just as tethered to the success of an entertainment company as the former.

We're not talking about down-on-its-luck Disney with a floundering park business that needs to make some safe investments to make ends meet. These are the Disney Parks, a division that built a strong reputation for itself over decades by not always taking the "easy" or "safe" way through the creative process, and a division that has been the company's most consistent money-maker for almost its entire existence. As fans, I feel like our takes on IP-based attractions are in the interest of the creative success of the company, and our desire to see them do better. I hope my take was nuanced enough.

BlakeW39

What is your evidence that the average guest doesn't? It's not a baseless claim, your claim is actually baseless. Disney is a multi-million $$$ corporation, if they didn't have the data that proves IP = $$$, which we already know, they wouldn't continue to push it.

All respect, but in a logical debate, the burden of proof doesn't fall on me to prove your claim false. It falls on you to provide evidence for it in the first place. Right now there is no evidence to suggest park goers either like or dislike Disney's newest attractions, outside of anecdotes like "my friends liked Rat" or "my family didn't like MMRR." Until we have some way to gauge how much the average guest 'likes' the new WDW attractions, this claim will unfortunately remain baseless. As for my claim... I already provided evidence to substantiate it. All new attractions built during the 21st century have increased park attendance the year they opened. Thus, all new attractions are favored by guests, not just the ones that have IP. Novelty is the main draw, not intellectual property or brand power.

They are though. I don't think you even really pay attention to this forum if you truly feely that way. The general public don't even know what "IP" is, especially in this context.

Semi agreed. You are correct that the general public has no clue what IP is. They probably don't have complex opinions on what IP goes where and whrn it's best to just come up with a new idea. But the people on this forum are definitionally not any different from the general public because they are a part of the general public. The opinions of people on this board simply reflect the opinions of the parts of the general population that know and care about theme parks the most. Hence why the opinions on this forum are diverse, just like those of the public......even though most obviously dislike the IP mandate (as fans of theme parks as an artistic medium... that's absolutely 100% to be expected).

I respectfully disagree here. The "ride the movie" & "enter the world" mantra(s) have really been engrained in the theme park industry in the past decade. People are more likely to buy a Judy Hopps plush after getting off Dinosaur, rather than a Dinosaur.
(This is anecdotal, and I have no proof of this, like you have no proof of your basis)

Yes, the 'ride the movies' premise is popular.... but that's because it's only premise being used, not because guests evidently prefer it. Again, we have ample evidence suggesting that "riding the movies" isn't the main draw of going to a theme park and is not more popular than other, non-movie-based concepts, like Space Mountain or the Haunted Mansion.

Attendance @ DAK jumped from 10.8M to 12.5M in 2017 when Pandora opened.
Comparing rethemes like FEA and Sea's with Nemo & Friends to a brand new attraction like Everest really isn't fair.

True, it's not fair to compare a new E-ticket like Everest to a D or C ticket retheme like Frozen or Nemo. But that wasn't my point. My point was that new attractions are usually successful regardless of IP, to the point where Disney's most successful new attraction (in terms of driving ticket sales, as far as I can tell) was not tied to any IP/franchise. Thus we can conclude IP isn't the decisive factor in how well a new attraction performs, but rather, other draws come in to play.

However, just as it isn't fair to compare Everest to Frozen, it's also unfair to compare Everest to the entirety of Pandora.

I'll revisit the point I made earlier in this post, the theme park industry isn't just attendance, it's merch, F&B sales, etc. IP drives sales, it's just simple. People flock to the overpriced colored popcorn in Batuu because it's "Star Wars", same goes for the Coke bottles.

What evidence is there that the IP mandate actually increases merchandise and F&B sales? I hear this parroted often, but never have I seen it actually proven. F&B sales I would not imagine have anything to do with IP, outside a couple individual instances like speciality milk/butter beer. But that is hardly proof that IP must be mandated to every new attraction or otherwise you lose money in F&B. And as for merch. Most merch is not attraction specific, it's just generic these days, so again I fail to see how IP attractions increase merch sales until I see data that proves it.

Are you making the statement that Everest is their most successful "original" attraction? Also Mystic Manor opened in this decade, and that's not an IP-based attraction.

I'm making the statement that Everest is their most "successful" (in terms or attendance, at least) attraction during the 21st century, and also happens to be the only original attraction they've built during the 21st century (at WDW).

You mention it later in your post, but Everest is probably the most "thrilling" attraction @ WDW (RnRc aside), that's a huge draw for families that have "tweens" and those looking for more of a thrill. That was probably it's biggest draw.
I will agree with you here, but it's a pretty much sure way to draw guests and make money.

My point is that there can be many different draws for a new attraction. IP is one. A popular theme or idea, like dinosaurs or pirates, is another. One would be thrill level. This means there are other ways to make a theme park attraction successful, other than just IP. Which makes the IP mandate unnecessary.

I agree with you here, and I have stated that I disagree with Zootopia going into DAK. I keep seeing Guardians as an argument of recent IP integration that breaks thematic integrity, can someone tell me what the "theme" of Epcot is?

Well without going too deep, EPCOT primarily focuses on futurism and the humanities, just as DAK focuses on wildlife & conservation.

Combining Consumer Products with Disney Parks was another driving force into this IP integration.

100% agree

See this, I don't understand... Their goal isn't to better utilize capacity long-term, if that was true, they would've demoed Malestrom and rebuilt a purpose-built Frozen attraction or built it somewhere else. That's just one example. To Disney (and every other entertainment company on the planet) knows IP (Franchises) = $$$. Hence the Fast X, Transformers, Scream 6, etc, that just came out.

We have insider confirmation that the primary goal behind the rethemes is to fully utilize an attraction's capacity. Not to increase park attendance. Although as I have proven, you don't need IP to do either.

Disney spends upwards of $200M on new theme park attractions, and they'd rather know that it's going to be a hit because of the IP.

Yeah.... few of their new attractions have ever actually failed, and the ones that have, have often been IP. So the idea that IP lets them 'know' something will be a hit is unsubstantiated imo. Most everything they build is a hit. And the times it isn't....again, who has endured longer? Figment or Honey I Shrunk the Audience?

I want to buy into this argument, but I can't.
- Snow White's Scary Adventures
- Peter Pan's Flight
- Mad Tea Party
- Alice in Wonderland

Are just a few examples of "specific IPs from modern pop-culture" that have stood the test of time, since 1955. I see no reason as to why these new attractions can't do the same.

No doubt the WDAS classics are enduring. But the majority of WDW's enduring, classic attractions have been original concepts, not based on movies/IP. Small World, Pirates, Kilimanjaro, HM, Space, BTMR, SSE, EE, JC, HoP, CoP, Imagination... I could go on. Figment endured, but Honey I Shrunk the Kids didn't. IP is a product of its time. Captain EO. Some of it will endure, some of it won't. But concepts like cowboys or sci-fi will always endure, because they already have endured. More than any IP in existence

flynnibus

Premium Member
There's not much cherry picking going on here. We can look at attendance numbers going back 20 years. IP isn't the driver, quality is.

You’re challenging the statement but arguing something different. It is cherry picking when you say ‘see all these winners… they are originals’ inferring that is why. While ignoring the others that were the same but weren’t winners…. Or the winners that were not originals. That’s why it’s selective and not worthy of the conclusion.

Now to your point…

I have a saying for my sales teams. If i always had the best product at the best price… why would I need you?

You can’t keep only the attractions that are the top winners. There are attractions that are quality and just wiff. There are gems that go unappreciated.

Marketing and awareness still matter.

Universal sees a big boost when the open Harry Potter lands though and that's Disney's take away. They're ignoring the quality aspect of it and focusing on the IP. At Disney, the most significant attendance boosts over the last 20 years were Everest and Pandora.

So you’re saying build more empty boat rides?

The pointing to dak attendance is a horrible stat because the park was so under utilized to start with. There is s big difference between ‘previously 2 out of 5 people skip this attraction, now 4 kut of ( use it’ and ‘this attraction moved the property from 5 to 7 guests’

Disney doesn’t share enough data to know the difference between attracting people already there and actually bringing in new guests. What really matters is stays and tickets… neither of which tea data is worth anything for.

Quality is the best business plan, not familiarity.

You don’t operate on one dimension alone. I’d argue the american adventure is the highest quality attraction in all of epcot. Why isn’t it then the one pulling the highest demand?

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Name a non-IP based ride built in WDW in the last 15 years? How about stateside? As far as I know the only thing that's been built stateside are the Red Car Trolleys.
Do your ideas of whats something successful or not only apply go the last 15yrs? What is relevant about that to the discussion about success or not?

Disney executives / decision makers have a simple mindset, the lesson they learned from Harry Potter was that IP based additions are less risky.

You think buying into franchises started with wwohp? Come on…

Even when we look at the worst of blatant slap-ipon-it for disney it goes back to the 80s/90s of Disneyland.

The power of licensing goes back over 100yrs.

This mentality of trusting the value add of familiar is not unique to iger theme parks.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Go to any store… what fills the shelves… generic stuff or franchises?

People keep ignoring the reason this pattern repeats itself is because it works with customers!

This idea that companies keep doing this for decades because they simply don’t know their mistake is opposite of reality. Why hasn’t another company just swooped in and made this more appealing stuff displacing the franchise-only products?

Is this the world’s best kept secret?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom