Disney CEO Iger's pay up 30 pct in 2010

devoy1701

No one said the company wasn't doing well. I'm just wondering if you are a shareholder or are familiar with any of the voting last year? He didn't get the raise because of steering the company out of hard times. Ha everyone was down and most companies rebounded with better stock points. One thing I've learned in trading is that stock price does not equal what a company is truly made of.

Bob was given the power to award himself and other coporate managers(btw are from Starbucks and other similar companies that have no idea how to run a company with a creative side) by no other than the stockholders. Which I admit most of them didn't know what the were voting for at the time. Only afterwards were they scratching their heads.

So the past 6 years what has Bob really accomplished to be paid more than other Disney CEO per year?

Repaired the pixar relationship? Maybe
Bought marvel? K good move but nothing creatively groundbreaking(yes marvel is but buying other companies)
Dca revamp? It was bound to happen. It had too

I personally do not believe he is worth the money. He's more like continuing off where Eisner left off than having his own vision. What Disney really needs for the long haul..

Yes I am a shareholder and I also know about how the stock market works as I trade heavily in it. Stock prices is more determined on emotion than on actual value and performance of the company. But at the same time Disney stock has performed better than most other stocks that make up the S&P 500 or DJI.

And I do believe that the last 2 or 3 years has warrented Iger being classified as a good CEO. It takes time to change the course from a previous leader and it isn't something that you can do overnight, you have to earn the respect and loyalty of your thousands of employess. It seems to have taken Iger 3 or 4 years to be able to start undoing some of the trends that we complain about so much on here. I'm sure you recognize that Eisner wasn't exactly praised when he left his position...so i'm not sure where you are thinking he is just following Eisner's vision.

devoy1701

I couldn't agree more. He seems to be still riding the wave of success from previous executives, to be honest. I can't help but think he has been maybe too hasty in his decisions, actually. Pixar, ok. Marvel? Hmmmm, and what exactly are we doing with that? He really seems to enjoy buying things, but I would be a little more excited about him if he liked to build things too. Maybe a little more investment in the parks besides a FLE for Florida. But congratulations for CA for their DCA overhaul. I just doubt any of Florida's parks would receive similar treatment.

No florida parks need similar treatment.

Marvel allowed Disney access to 100s of new characters with huge followings. The deal is only a year old too, it's going to take time before we see some Disney/Marvel payoffs besides Marvel shows on Disney XD and the company reeping benefits from Marvel revenues.

He also does seem to like to build things, DCA revamp, Disneyland Shanghai, 2 new cruise ships, DVC resorts, FLE, Hawaii and DC Resorts. And personally, I'd rather see what we're seeing now in terms of revamp in maintenance to the existing parks before they start building new things there.

cheezbat

No florida parks need similar treatment.

Marvel allowed Disney access to 100s of new characters with huge followings. The deal is only a year old too, it's going to take time before we see some Disney/Marvel payoffs besides Marvel shows on Disney XD and the company reeping benefits from Marvel revenues.

He also does seem to like to build things, DCA revamp, Disneyland Shanghai, 2 new cruise ships, DVC resorts, FLE, Hawaii and DC Resorts. And personally, I'd rather see what we're seeing now in terms of revamp in maintenance to the existing parks before they start building new things there.

So there is a new Disney park opening overseas. That's nice for them.
Disney California Adventure FINALLY getting the stuff it needed from the start...good.

Now let's look at everything else...

Hong Kong Disneyland is a half park. MUCH needed additions FINALLY happening.
Walt Disney Studios Paris...half day park. Needs help BADLY.
Disneyland Paris...when is the last time ANYTHING new was added to this park?
Disney's Hollywood Studios...half day park. Needs help BADLY.
Disney's Animal Kingdom...half day park. Needs help BADLY.

Seems to me that the current parks owned and operated by the Disney company should ALL be fleshed out and built up before anything like Shanghai should be built. Take that 3-6 billion dollars and invest it in the existing resorts first Disney!

Yeah so great. :brick:

devoy1701

So there is a new Disney park opening overseas. That's nice for them.
Disney California Adventure FINALLY getting the stuff it needed from the start...good.

Now let's look at everything else...

Hong Kong Disneyland is a half park. MUCH needed additions FINALLY happening.
Walt Disney Studios Paris...half day park. Needs help BADLY.
Disneyland Paris...when is the last time ANYTHING new was added to this park?
Disney's Hollywood Studios...half day park. Needs help BADLY.
Disney's Animal Kingdom...half day park. Needs help BADLY.

Seems to me that the current parks owned and operated by the Disney company should ALL be fleshed out and built up before anything like Shanghai should be built. Take that 3-6 billion dollars and invest it in the existing resorts first Disney!

Yeah so great. :brick:

And i'm sure the rest of the resorts say the same thing every time something is added to our parks. DHS and AK are not half day parks, that's pure opinion. They offer a different type of experience including shows, exploration, discovery etc, there is no way you can do every show and attraction at DHS and be done in one day. And when you take the time in AK to explore all of the nooks and cranies, along with sample the different experiences at different times of day you'll find the same thing.

Besides your opinions, the company is operating very well and hence the CEOs pay is adjusted accordingly. You failed to comment on everything else I offered in my post including FLE, the 2 new Cruise Ships, and the new stand-alone resorts. The only US theme park that needed anything "badly" was DCA, and that park wasn't even bad! It's just that the locals didn't find it as enjoyable as DL and when the locals make up more than 50% of your customer base, that causes huge problems. I got to experience DCA pre revamp and was able to spend 3 full days in that park without getting everything done. Have you experienced DCA? Have you experienced any of the foriegn resort parks either to justify your opinion that they need work or are halfday parks or are you just repeating garble that other people have said on here before?

wizards8507

Great for him. I'm tired of people and their lack of economic knowledge bash CEOs just because they make a lot of money. They make money because they make their company a lot of money. Just like pro athletes make a lot of money because they make their team a lot of money. They posess rare abilities that demand a high salary. The law of supply and demand dictate that they are well paid. It is not some conspiracy theory to screw the little guys.

THANK YOU!

If executive pay were NOT extremely high, then the best and brightest minds would not have incentive to lead major corporations. Thus, those corporations would have inferior leadership and neither make the same level of profit nor provide the same high quality product.

My father has been in a factory since he left the Army at age 20, and he's the hardest working man I know. If HE appreciates the laws of labor markets and doesn't and moan about executives with large pay packages, then nobody has any reason to complain like this.

wizards8507

Besides your opinions, the company is operating very well and hence the CEOs pay is adjusted accordingly. You failed to comment on everything else I offered in my post including FLE, the 2 new Cruise Ships, and the new stand-alone resorts. The only US theme park that needed anything "badly" was DCA, and that park wasn't even bad! It's just that the locals didn't find it as enjoyable as DL and when the locals make up more than 50% of your customer base, that causes huge problems. I got to experience DCA pre revamp and was able to spend 3 full days in that park without getting everything done. Have you experienced DCA? Have you experienced any of the foriegn resort parks either to justify your opinion that they need work or are halfday parks or are you just repeating garble that other people have said on here before?

I agree with you, but you could go even further in your example. In addition to improvements to the Parks and Resorts segment of the company, Disney also features Media Networks, Studio Entertainment, Consumer Products, and Interactive Media. Parks and Resorts is responsible for just over 17% of Net Operating Income for the Walt Disney Company in 2010. That means there's another 82% of the company that isn't being addressed in this conversation and others like it.

raiden

Yes I am a shareholder and I also know about how the stock market works as I trade heavily in it. Stock prices is more determined on emotion than on actual value and performance of the company. But at the same time Disney stock has performed better than most other stocks that make up the S&P 500 or DJI.

And I do believe that the last 2 or 3 years has warrented Iger being classified as a good CEO. It takes time to change the course from a previous leader and it isn't something that you can do overnight, you have to earn the respect and loyalty of your thousands of employess. It seems to have taken Iger 3 or 4 years to be able to start undoing some of the trends that we complain about so much on here. I'm sure you recognize that Eisner wasn't exactly praised when he left his position...so i'm not sure where you are thinking he is just following Eisner's vision.

He hasn't done anything that Eisner didnt do first. DVC, massive expansion of parks, great movies and tv, Disney cruise ships all were under Eisner. Iger is just continuing what he has done. He personally hasnt been responsible for any major work except for buying smaller companies. 4 to 6 years after eisner major expansion in all areas of TWDC were expanding and growing. With firsts in many areas.

But let me say this again. Iger did not receive a 30% raise because of what he has done(or in this case not done). Only because he has now has the power to give himself raises courtesy of the shareholders.

How do you feel about Iger basically having the power to give himself more bonus and award money as he see fits? If Eisner had done this do you think shareholders would have liked it?

raiden

THANK YOU!

If executive pay were NOT extremely high, then the best and brightest minds would not have incentive to lead major corporations. Thus, those corporations would have inferior leadership and neither make the same level of profit nor provide the same high quality product.

My father has been in a factory since he left the Army at age 20, and he's the hardest working man I know. If HE appreciates the laws of labor markets and doesn't and moan about executives with large pay packages, then nobody has any reason to complain like this.

Only thing is how many CEOs are able to give themselves raises when ever they want. Not many I know. Most have to go through board of directors and shareholders. Not Mr. Bob he now has the comfort of giving himself 30% every year if wants to.

He is a straw man. Of course Iger appointed him successor. I wonder sometimes he did this just to get back at TWDC kinda kinda like hey let's see how everyone likes a CEO with no creative background.

Mid America brainwash at it's best about CEO having to be overpaid to show competiveness what a joke

raiden

Besides your opinions, the company is operating very well and hence the CEOs pay is adjusted accordingly. You failed to comment on everything else I offered in my post including FLE, the 2 new Cruise Ships, and the new stand-alone resorts.

Again the only reason iger pays is adjusted is because well he now is the adjuster! I wonder if anyone read what they were voting on? I still don't believe they knew or know even now.

Yes parks and resorts is a small percentage of what the company makes a profit on. But what you can't put a value on is what parks and resorts does for building brand loyalty.

Do you think Desperate housewives viewers are huge disney fans? Nah. I know that a child watching classic Disney animation and visiting their theme parks will certainly be. But I'm sure none if that matters now. We only care about things like profit and stock price.

devoy1701

I agree with you, but you could go even further in your example. In addition to improvements to the Parks and Resorts segment of the company, Disney also features Media Networks, Studio Entertainment, Consumer Products, and Interactive Media. Parks and Resorts is responsible for just over 17% of Net Operating Income for the Walt Disney Company in 2010. That means there's another 82% of the company that isn't being addressed in this conversation and others like it.

very true:

The board's compensation committee said Iger managed to deliver a strong financial performance for the company. It noted that three of Disney's cable channels -- Disney Channel, ESPN and ABC Family -- delivered record ratings, and two feature films, "Alice in Wonderland," starring Johnny Depp, and Pixar Animation's "Toy Story 3," reaped $1 billion in global box-office receipts.

devoy1701

Again the only reason iger pays is adjusted is because well he now is the adjuster! I wonder if anyone read what they were voting on? I still don't believe they knew or know even now.

Yes parks and resorts is a small percentage of what the company makes a profit on. But what you can't put a value on is what parks and resorts does for building brand loyalty.

Do you think Desperate housewives viewers are huge disney fans? Nah. I know that a child watching classic Disney animation and visiting their theme parks will certainly be. But I'm sure none if that matters now. We only care about things like profit and stock price.

HOw about you share this motion with us. You keep repeating it but I can't find anything to support it.

Also, some of the other accomplishments during the past year:

The increase came as Disney's share price rose 24 percent to end the company's fiscal year on Oct. 2 at $32.98. Disney noted that the total shareholder return for the S&P 500 over the same period was just 14 percent by comparison.
During the year, Iger hired new managers for Disney's money-losing movie studio, quickly bringing it back to profitability. The studio completed the sale of the Miramax niche film label as Disney renewed its focus on its family fare from its own studio as well as Pixar and new acquisition Marvel. The Burbank, Calif.-based company also bought social game maker Playdom and mobile game developer Tapulous with an aim to reverse losses at its interactive unit, which recently went through a round of layoffs.
Fiscal 2010 net income rose 20 percent to $3.96 billion from $3.31 billion the year before, as revenue grew 5 percent to $38.06 billion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom