News Disney CEO Bob Iger says raising park prices and increasing capacity is not smart and criticizes previous policies

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I mean, if overpayment needs a bone, give it to people at the values. They pay like over $200 for tiny rooms that a lot of times are further away from parks than off site hotels.
I have a huge issue with this (shocking)…people overpaid for their rooms for decades and asked for more…and they’ve overpaid for their timeshares for 20 years…no questioned asked.

Now they turn the park tickets back against them and they want to cry foul and want something for it?

We made our beds…writing was on the wall.

Disstevefan1

I mean, if overpayment needs a bone, give it to people at the values. They pay like over $200 for tiny rooms that a lot of times are further away from parks than off site hotels.
Agreed, all rooms are overpriced; the deluxe resorts are the most overpriced.

I'll put it this way, if they are going to call a resort deluxe, it should have additional perks like Genie + included.

Kamikaze

What rock are you under? It’s a hundreds of billions of dollars business now. All the leagues are full in or will be in 5 years.

I hate betting. Hate it. I’m a sports nut but I care about who wins. It’s not a “job” for me.

But Disney sells product for money…they aren’t grandma providing “magic” for children.
I meant no one cares as in there's not a single person that's going to stop giving Disney money in its other endeavors because Disney is involved in sports betting.

ThatMouse

The biggest price increases came under Iger and Staggs over 2012-2015. The increases came in the form of room discounts going away - no more Orbitz deals - all the big travel sites no loner gave discounts and Disney was being stingy. You used to be able to get $180/night Moderates or $280/night Deluxes. Today that's actually a good deal for Pop probably. This of course made DVC irrelevant for the longest time. Resort parking fees just tipped the scale for us. I cannot believe they reversed that given how parking fee happy Universal is too.

Disstevefan1

The biggest price increases came under Iger and Staggs over 2012-2015. The increases came in the form of room discounts going away - no more Orbitz deals - all the big travel sites no loner gave discounts and Disney was being stingy. You used to be able to get $180/night Moderates or $280/night Deluxes. Today that's actually a good deal for Pop probably. This of course made DVC irrelevant for the longest time. Resort parking fees just tipped the scale for us. I cannot believe they reversed that given how parking fee happy Universal is too.
MrIgerLovesMoney.jpg

CAV

I remember when the Value resorts could be had for $74/night. Deluxe resorts where in the high $200's to mid $300's. I made about 20% of the money I make now. We usually sprung for the deluxe resorts back then because we saw the value in them. For the price today, there is no value. No way in hades will I pay for a deluxe resort today even though I have more disposable income than I every could have imagined. There is just no value for the price. Moderate resorts are quickly going that route.

wdwfamilynh

Guess the shareholders didn’t like the thought that Iger might mean less in their over-stuffed wallets. Just read Iger’s departure is imminent and the search is already underway for his successor 🤦🏼‍♀️

Last edited:

DopeyRunner

Guess the shareholders didn’t like the thought that auger might mean less in their over-stuffed wallets. Just read auger’s departure is imminent and the search is already underway for his successor 🤦🏼‍♀️
I haven't seen anything posted officially by WDC (no fillings, news statements, etc) come out yet, so that may be speculation (or an embellished way of saying he won't pursue a contract extension). I can see that being interpreted a couple of ways, but if it is true that his departure is happening much sooner than expiration that can mean one of two things:

1) Bob finally realizes that many people see him as a con artist, whose greatest 'achievements' came about by buying other peoples IP and draining every ounce of life from them. While the stock price did increase for much of his tenure, so did the majority of the market, so the shareholders are happy argument holds little weight in our books. He also lost face with people when he 'resigned' at the start of the pandemic, knowing full well that things were going to get hit hard, and instead of leading WDC through the pandemic, he left "on top" to make it look like much of the issues were do to Chapek's leadership. I'm sure @Sirwalterraleigh would agree, but his departure was mostly due to his cowardice (or arrogance), and was a weak attempt to save face so he could try and 'explore a run for president' without being associated with the economic hit. This action may be a similar action to address point #2 below.

2) The economic indicators are pointing to a market that can not sustain guest volumes in the parks, given the extreme pricing increases displayed over the last 10 or so years. While many people had more discretionary spending dollars in the last few years due to delayed or cancelled travel, much of that is likely spent now. To be frank, given the potential (or current) recession, Disney has priced themselves out of reality for the large majority of the population. Without an actual decrease in price (whether masked by 'sales' or not), there is a potential cliff of attendance which will result in reduced revenues/profits in the parks area(s). This might be masked somewhat by the recent company reorganization, but that is just a financial engineering trick to soften the blow...

The decrease in overall experience/value in the parks (probably well documented based on the forums here, but Disney has this data as well) is beginning to sting much harder. I've seen (and met) a fairly large number of very passionate fans (myself included) who have become burned out by the price-gouging actions. Not only have the prices increased, but the perceived value has also greatly decreased. The parks/hotel value has decreased due to a variety of reasons, some of which are:

1. Parks are not as clean as they once were (paint issues, gum everywhere, etc.)
  2. Parks don't operate as smoothly as they had before (ride breakdowns increasing in frequency),
  3. The food variety has greatly decreased while price of the food has increased (qualify of food is in question as well)
  4. Parks have "Specially Ticketed Events" which often result in reduced normal operation hours, and participation in these events costs more than a day in the same park
It has been very frustrating to watch the brand quality erode, and I understand that many people don't have the same perception (i.e. the once every 10 years crowd). I'm willing to wager that if you ran the numbers (unaltered), Disney park revenues are largely driven by the loyalists (those of us who go more than once a year, every single year), and not the once in a lifetime family trip to a moderate or deluxe resorts crowd.

Tha Realest

Guess the shareholders didn’t like the thought that auger might mean less in their over-stuffed wallets. Just read auger’s departure is imminent and the search is already underway for his successor 🤦🏼‍♀️
Well he and the board promised it was a two year stint, that he was a caretaker for a new successor, and that was a reassurance made again during the Peltz proxy battle.

The worst news for Disney this week, through, is Jim Cramer has the stock as a buy.

B441BA0D-A1E4-44F2-A3AD-55BA2A05F75E.jpeg

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I remember when the Value resorts could be had for $74/night. Deluxe resorts where in the high $200's to mid $300's. I made about 20% of the money I make now. We usually sprung for the deluxe resorts back then because we saw the value in them. For the price today, there is no value. No way in hades will I pay for a deluxe resort today even though I have more disposable income than I every could have imagined. There is just no value for the price. Moderate resorts are quickly going that route.
I remember $49/night Value rooms. 😬

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Well he and the board promised it was a two year stint, that he was a caretaker for a new successor, and that was a reassurance made again during the Peltz proxy battle.

The worst news for Disney this week, through, is Jim Cramer has the stock as a buy.

View attachment 703334
Jim Cramer has had it as a buy for 20 years. Literally in his first book he says invest in Disney and leave it there forever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom