News Disney CEO Bob Chapek suggests price hikes are coming to the parks thanks to guest demand

Mr Mindcrime

I’m in a “basket” currently that rubs me the wrong way…

I can “afford” the prices without a sweat…but I hate the message it sends to everyone and the guy in my mirror.

I also really hate the ticket policy as of now…their is zero flexibility as was designed and implemented over decades of research and trend watching…a little bit of that I actually participated in.

I don’t have “rights” to anything…but the look now is of bad management. I don’t have much tolerance for that anywhere…let alone Disney.
My thoughts exactly, on all points (except I never worked for DIS).

Mr Mindcrime

Almost all of the issues described here as negatively impacting the guest experience can be traced back to having too many people in the park.

Long lines, poor interactions, lack of experiences, lack of communication and all the way down to pushing out badly made food... Can all be traced to trying to serve too many people.

It the guests keep telling Disney they want cheap prices and easy access.
Agreed.

But it's a problem that they created. They created "demand" with a blend of nostalgia combined with clever marketing, combined with what used to be a great product. But they didn't grow to meet a growing demand. So now they want to price out those that can't afford to pay to stifle demand..

Not illegal I think to do that as nobody "deserves" a Disney vacation and sometimes there are just things in life that we can't afford. I can afford a WDW vacation. I can't afford a Jeff Bezos yacht. I accept that with no envy or ill will. But it sure stinks that this is the direction that Disney is headed when they could've grown the parks to meet the demand they created. Now they'll just further divide the haves and the have nots. Sad.

Disstevefan1

Second to last day of my final trip for several years. I spent ove 10k on this trip BEFORE arriving, expecting it to be my biggest best trip ever. It's supposed to be my farewell trip before I start saving and adulting for the next several years.

Sadly, it's been the most miserable trip I have ever been on. I've never not had at least a Little Bit of a good time at Disney. But man do I wish I had my 10,000 dollars back. I've got Animal Kingdom tomorrow. Sigh.

Bye, Disney. I'll be going to washington dc next year instead. Love that place.
I am very sorry to hear this. For sure Washington DC will not cost 10K.
Please do one thing. Please write up your experiences being sure to mention your costs and send it to: wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

I know you will not get anything in return, but they do read their emails and they should know how they are failing their guests.

Last edited:

matt9112

No they're not. They're not stupid just because they go to the parks for a different reason than you do.

I realize that good financial results can bring out the worst in fans, but this is going a little too far.

Sometimes things are just bad. Sometimes cars are just terrible…yet even in the worst cases usually tens of thousands will be sold….that doesn’t make them good. A Big Mac is not some great burger yet millions are sold.

People can and often are dumb.

matt9112

They do have a desire to reduce crowds. They've stated as such and taken actual action to do so. That's indisputable.

Where maybe you are getting confused is, they are trying to limit attendance and capacity in a way that doesn't put off most of their customer base. So many people want to do, and they realize it's hard to hear "no," whether that be in blockouts or restrictions or lack of reservations.

It's easier to do this the fairest way: through price increases and convincing some people they don't want to go.

Well if what your saying is true it hasn’t helped. Attendance has never been better according to bobby.

beachlover4444

Agreed.

But it's a problem that they created. They created "demand" with a blend of nostalgia combined with clever marketing, combined with what used to be a great product. But they didn't grow to meet a growing demand. So now they want to price out those that can't afford to pay to stifle demand..

Not illegal I think to do that as nobody "deserves" a Disney vacation and sometimes there are just things in life that we can't afford. I can afford a WDW vacation. I can't afford a Jeff Bezos yacht. I accept that with no envy or ill will. But it sure stinks that this is the direction that Disney is headed when they could've grown the parks to meet the demand they created. Now they'll just further divide the haves and the have nots. Sad.
They didn’t create a problem for themselves, it’s us who wanna go. They did what any good company does. They make money. We hate it because it comes out of our pockets but thats business. We take it personally because we love Disney. They don’t have to love it. chapeks job is to make happy shareholders

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I'm not sure I'm in agreement with that. I think we perceive it that way as a function of crowded times getting more online hype and attention than slower times combined with pandemic pent-up demand.

However, if Disney is projecting consistent "so mobbed all of the time" demand, then I think it's time for expansion and investment.
Whoa there, sailor. That's some seriously crazy talk. You'll get nothing except Tron and Tiana between now and 2030 and you'll like it (and pay more for it). ;)

Don't threaten me with a good time.

I mean, it would certainly lower crowds. Unfortunately, I have a sneaking suspicion that The Bearded One© would look to reduce staffing at a commensurate rate so there would still be lines and unhappy consumers. And upcharges.

My gut tells me - Higher prices all around, and more upcharges for "lower crowds". Why sell the parks once a day when you can sell them twice a day for double the price?

I just love how people think park reservations have translated into "reduced crowds". 😂 They'll keep the same number of frogs in the pot and just continue turning the heat up slowly.

el_super

They created "demand" with a blend of nostalgia combined with clever marketing, combined with what used to be a great product. But they didn't grow to meet a growing demand. So now they want to price out those that can't afford to pay to stifle demand..

I don't have time for a proper reply today but just so we're clear, they couldn't grow to meet the demand, because the type of demand they were looking for wouldn't allow it.

There is a certain type of demand that is just downright.... unfavorable. And that demand specifically needs to be eliminated.

Vegas Disney Fan

I mean, it would certainly lower crowds. Unfortunately, I have a sneaking suspicion that The Bearded One© would look to reduce staffing at a commensurate rate so there would still be lines and unhappy consumers.

1 boat on Pirates, IASW, and Jungle Cruise… 1 train on Big Thunder, Space, and Seven Dwarves… I can see it now, 30 people in the queue and still a half hour wait. Maximizing staffing at its finest.

Disstevefan1

I mean, it would certainly lower crowds. Unfortunately, I have a sneaking suspicion that The Bearded One© would look to reduce staffing at a commensurate rate so there would still be lines and unhappy consumers. And upcharges.
Oh boy, that's true! Providing more even when charging astronomical prices goes against Disney's standard operating procedure...

CaptainAmerica

Unfortunately, I have a sneaking suspicion that The Bearded One© would look to reduce staffing at a commensurate rate so there would still be lines and unhappy consumers.
My understanding of Bob's mindset as an operator is to push and push and push until the guests are unhappy, and then backtrack. He doesn't want to cut so much to impact the guest experience, but he wants to find the line.

GimpYancIent

All the data that folks are reacting to and commenting about has been generated by Disney Co. and presented by B.C. The presenter is not clever, and the data does not pass the smell test. There needs to be a disinterested third party to corroborate the information being spewed out.

CaptainAmerica

All the data that folks are reacting to and commenting about has been generated by Disney Co. and presented by B.C. The presenter is not clever, and the data does not pass the smell test. There needs to be a disinterested third party to corroborate the information being spewed out.
You're describing a felony.

CaptainAmerica

We are still waiting for the backtrack at WDW. ;)
I still think we're about six months to a year away from a real sense of what the Bob regime looks like. His entire tenure so far has been defined by pandemic and pandemic reopening.

I don't blame him for the housekeeping staffing situation, for example, but I do blame him for Magical Express. Genie+ is what it is, and I'm thrilled with the shift from EMH to EMHH. So it's a mixed bag for me, for sure.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I still think we're about six months to a year away from a real sense of what the Bob regime looks like. His entire tenure so far has been defined by pandemic and pandemic reopening.

I don't blame him for the housekeeping staffing situation, for example, but I do blame him for Magical Express. Genie+ is what it is, and I'm thrilled with the shift from EMH to EMHH. So it's a mixed bag for me, for sure.

2024 is when the chickens come home to roost and Disney has to fork over a minimum of 27.4 Billion dollars to Comcast for its share of Hulu.

fgmnt

Whoa there, sailor. That's some seriously crazy talk. You'll get nothing except Tron and Tiana between now and 2030 and you'll like it (and pay more for it). ;)

My gut tells me - Higher prices all around, and more upcharges for "lower crowds". Why sell the parks once a day when you can sell them twice a day for double the price?

I just love how people think park reservations have translated into "reduced crowds". 😂 They'll keep the same number of frogs in the pot and just continue turning the heat up slowly.
Really don't have to look much further than the blistering pace with which the company is able to sell out hard ticket half days at MK while also, by virtue of it being a half day, opening the park for GA that day already. I don't know how many days MK has been/will be closing at 7 for a hard ticket event in 2022, but if it's under 150, they have easy room to grow. They _will_ push here as hard as they can. The only reason they aren't doing this at studios as well is because they can't keep RotR running enough to sell that ticket.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I am very sorry to hear this. For sure Washington DC will not cost 10K.
Please so one thing. Please write up your experiences being sure to mention your costs and send it to: wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

I know you will not get anything in return, but they do read their emails and they should know how they are failing their guests.
Money talks. Hearing they won't make $20,000 next year talks more than not making a couple thousand.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom