News Disney CEO Bob Chapek suggests price hikes are coming to the parks thanks to guest demand

EPCOT-O.G.

All great choices.... shows great initiative.

However, the only thing that would get Bob's attention would be choice number 8:
8) Don't give TWDC a penny of your money for anything

Until that happens, it's full-steam ahead!
Thank you. I am trying to balance the impulse against 1) giving any money whatsoever, and 2) if you don't do that, limit additional spending in any way you can.

Should also add, 9) refuse to buy Genie + or ILL

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Actually no sir, I'm not. I'm a realistic (lol most of the time)

For the last 12 years I've raked in between 11-19% annually on my portfolio. No way am I getting upset because of a down market.

In fact I'm encouraging my kids to up their 401k contributions. I'm buying dude. I'm buying

I Said the same thing to goofymost (I think that's his name) a few weeks back in another thread.
This is why I love you…

You free for lunch? How about the Jamaican Jerk Hut? 🍽

Mr Mindcrime

Thank you. I am trying to balance the impulse against 1) giving any money whatsoever, and 2) if you don't do that, limit additional spending in any way you can.

It's a difficult decision for all of us. Many of us have grown up with the Disney Parks and we love those experiences. And we want to continue to love those experiences. To give them up is painful.

But sadly what we've had is not what we've got.

Obviously many folks are fine with what we currently have. For those of us who are not, it just keeps getting more and more painful to the point where each of us has a decision to make whether to continue supporting something we currently don't like, just because we used to like it.

eliza61nyc

It's so interesting @EPCOT-O.G. , the young moms I know with small children L-O-V-E Genie plus.
My old boss summed it up nicely when she said, "I will pay any amount of money NOT to have to stand in an hour line with 3 kids".

Now I will say she never went when fps were free but believe me not everyone hates it

Br0ckford

It's so interesting @EPCOT-O.G. , the young moms I know with small children L-O-V-E Genie plus.
My old boss summed it up nicely when she said, "I will pay any amount of money NOT to have to stand in an hour line with 3 kids".

Now I will say she never went when fps were free but believe me not everyone hates it
I'm not advocating for or against Genie+. This line makes me sad. I wish my kid was still little. We had some great times in the queues at Walt Disney World. Him asking all kinds of questions and me telling him what history I knew of the parks. I'd give anything to do that again.

Lilofan

Oh, I certainly get that. Walt was a businessman as much or more than he was a creative. Difference was, Walt wanted (as much as I can tell from reading history) to both provide a great product/experience as much as he wanted to profit from it.

My comments were more geared toward the current state of management.
Didn’t Walt say

I don’t make movies to make money.

eliza61nyc

I'm not advocating for or against Genie+. This line makes me sad. I wish my kid was still little. We had some great times in the queues at Walt Disney World. Him asking all kinds of questions and me telling him what history I knew of the parks. I'd give anything to do that again.
Lol my 23 year old is currently trying to explain to me why he got 3 parking tickets in 4 days. 🤬
I wish he were young too😏

I feel sad sometimes when I'm in a que and everyone is on their phones. Some of the ride queue are really great

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's a difficult decision for all of us. Many of us have grown up with the Disney Parks and we love those experiences. And we want to continue to love those experiences. To give them up is painful.

But sadly what we've had is not what we've got.

Obviously many folks are fine with what we currently have. For those of us who are not, it just keeps getting more and more painful to the point where each of us has a decision to make whether to continue supporting something we currently don't like, just because we used to like it.
I’m in a “basket” currently that rubs me the wrong way…

I can “afford” the prices without a sweat…but I hate the message it sends to everyone and the guy in my mirror.

I also really hate the ticket policy as of now…their is zero flexibility as was designed and implemented over decades of research and trend watching…a little bit of that I actually participated in.

I don’t have “rights” to anything…but the look now is of bad management. I don’t have much tolerance for that anywhere…let alone Disney.

el_super

This is discussed here all the time, but I'm not sure I believe this. Why would Bob care about reducing crowds?

Almost all of the issues described here as negatively impacting the guest experience can be traced back to having too many people in the park.

Long lines, poor interactions, lack of experiences, lack of communication and all the way down to pushing out badly made food... Can all be traced to trying to serve too many people.

It the guests keep telling Disney they want cheap prices and easy access.

Disney can't provide both, the cheap and easy access and the quality guest experience. So what we see is the compromise between the two that tends to make everyone unhappy to some degree, but that most end up accepting.

Disney knows though that people are willing to pay more for a better experience, and they have reiterated, even in the last call on Wednesday, that people spend more when there are less people in the park. Whether that's more food sales or merch sales or even more visits... Doesn't really matter because it's working for them.

The less people that are in the parks means less cupcakes and t-shirts to sell. Bob is absolutely not concerned one tiny bit if the park is too crowded. Being too crowded apparently isn't keeping enough people away (that's a brain twister if you think about it) to reduce profitability. Again, Bob isn't focused on your experience .... he is focused on your wallet.

This would kind of make sense if Bob wasn't the one who initially approved spending millions reconfiguring walkways and crowded spaces at Disneyland.

They have to spend money just to make the place feel comfortable, money they don't really get a return on. The easier answer would be to just raise prices until the crowds subside. There seems to be though, a greater importance on public perception of a availability than the actual availability itself. Hence the park passes.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You have a favorite eating establishment, one that you've been going to since you were a kid. You love it because the food was good and tasty, the service was good, and the prices were reasonable. Over the years, prices went up, but the food was still good, the service was still good, and the owner even came out once in a while and mingled with guests. Then the old owners sold it to someone new. Things were good for a few years - Prices went up more than normal, but the food was still good and the service was as well. Then, things started to change. The food got even more expensive, but it wasn't as flavorful. Portions were smaller. Service was slipping. But people still came because "it's the place we went when we were growing up, and it's still pretty good, prices aren't that bad...". Then another new owner comes in. Prices went even higher, food quality dropped noticeably, portions because smaller, and the servers couldn't care less if they get your order correct or not. They throw a bone to long-time customers by having "throwback nights" and bringing back old dishes, but at high prices and lesser quality/flavor.

Would you still go to that restaurant, or would you find somewhere else to go?

el_super

Apparently there’s a little known amendment in the US constitution that throws him in Danbury federal country club if he were say a lie that he can never be held to…Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Magic

Pretty sure it is against the law to lie to investors. Have you called the feds yet?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It could happen.
It will not. The profits are mostly in gift shop junk sold en masse.

You have to have both the customer that wants to buy that AND a lot of that caste.

You’re theorizing…which is just that. A term paper that gets laughed out of where the big boys and girls have to do the work to get the dead presidents.

el_super

It will not. The profits are mostly in gift shop junk sold en masse.

You have to have both the customer that wants to buy that AND a lot of that caste.

You’re theorizing…which is just that. A term paper that gets laughed out of where the big boys and girls have to do the work to get the dead presidents.

Except ... It has happened and continues to happen.

The private parties where people pay sometimes 2x admission for just a couple hours of entertainment and no lines are absolutely a thing. I love them here at Disneyland, and would highly recommend them.

All we really need to do is start scheduling more of these parties and reducing the "regular operating" hours to make them slightly longer.

Certainly the demand is there since they keep selling out.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Pretty sure it is against the law to lie to investors. Have you called the feds yet?
You just showed your hole card…and it’s the 3 of Clubs

Bob Iger saying “we’re actually trying to reduce attendance” is in no way against public stock rules. First, it’s an opinion and can be backed out of fast as he said it. Second - and here’s the kicker - comments about strategic planning without market or financial action that affects shareholder value have zero legal repercussions

Do you know what CEO’s do? They make speeches…made up…whatever sounds good that day. They reverse themselves yearly, weekly, daily…

You know how many times Warren Buffet or Jamie Dimon reverse themselves? Or say “whoops! I read that one wrong”
Do they get thrown in jail? Or get sued by the shareholders?

Come on…enough with the Iger belief rookie nonsense.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Except ... It has happened and continues to happen.

The private parties where people pay sometimes 2x admission for just a couple hours of entertainment and no lines are absolutely a thing. I love them here at Disneyland, and would highly recommend them.

All we really need to do is start scheduling more of these parties and reducing the "regular operating" hours to make them slightly longer.

Certainly the demand is there since they keep selling out.
It doesn’t equate…which is what several of us keep telling you. They also assign overhead more to certain segments Than others…operations being a notions black hole for them.

But beware of block pricing…that is what you’re advocating and I agree with you there. It’s a dangerous, pro-Disney trend

Just keep going and going and going…theory without actual experience, Wisdom, knowledge…
Bunny time

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom