Disney:By the Numbers

Dr Albert Falls

Original Poster
Walt Disney had 11 years of theme park experience.

Michael Eisner has 19.

Walt Disney never owned/operated a hotel (the DL hotel wasn't his).

Michael Eisner oversees more than 20 hotels.

Omnimovers were built for 16 years (1967's Adventures thru Inner Space through 1983's Horizons).

20 years have passed since a new Omnimover attraction has been built (excluding duplicates)

Walt Disney "greenlighted" the development of 2 thrill rides.

Michael Eisner has approved 12-15 (depending on your definition of "thrill ride"- excluding duplicates)

Disneyland cost $17 million.
Big Thunder Mountain cost $17 million.
Mission:Space cost $100 million.

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
Walt Disney is rumored to be frozen.

Michael Eisner will likely end up in a place that's really really hot.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by Dr Albert Falls
Walt Disney had 11 years of theme park experience.

Michael Eisner has 19.

Walt Disney never owned/operated a hotel (the DL hotel wasn't his).

Michael Eisner oversees more than 20 hotels.

Walt Disney "greenlighted" the development of 2 thrill rides.

Michael Eisner has approved 12-15 (depending on your definition of "thrill ride"- excluding duplicates)

So....??

Thomas Jefferson oversaw 13 states.
Richard Nixon oversaw 50.

Are these numbers supposed to illustrate that Michael Eisner is somehow better than Walt? I don't get your point. Sorry.

djmatthews

Disneyland cost $17 million.
Big Thunder Mountain cost $17 million.
Mission:Space cost $100 million.

OK. If your were to build a replcia of Disneyland today, it would cost a lot more, that figure can't include inflation, so its quite an irrelevant point.

Walt Disney was a dreamer, Roy was the the doer - the business man, without Roy, the Disney company would not be what it is now.

wdwfan65

Banned
Walt and Roy built a company,Michael Eisner saved a company in the 80s almost lost it in the 90s bringing it back now.Now thats an E ride!

BRER STITCH

Actually, there is no point.
I'm just curious what discussions these numbers will inspire....

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Anna.....is that YOU?!?!?!?!?

:lookaroun :lookaroun :lookaroun :lookaroun

Davis224

Walt Disney was in Innovator, an Imaginer, a Dreamer, a Business man, an Artist, an Enlisted man, and the list goes on.

Eisner - nearly ruined the company, but has brought it back up.

that's about it

Walter

Originally posted by CHAPPS
Walt Disney is rumored to be frozen.

Michael Eisner will likely end up in a place that's really really hot.

:lol:

I agree. I think that whomever started this thread wanted to show that they thought that Eisner runs the company better than Walter did. This could not be further from the truth.

kennyj29

You can't compare Eisner and Walt Disney, that is so unfair. Walt would have to change his ways also when the times change. You have to go along with the times to be successful. Kids today are different now then they were when Walt was starting Disneyland. It's a total different world out there. Eisner is trying to make a business work. He saved it, then almost lost it and is now trying to save it again. With the economy and the 9/11 tragedies you can't expect any business to be making tons of money right now. Also, to say Walt would not be making E rides is ridiculous. I know you'll say he wouldn't be making as many but nobody really knows that. You can't say what any business man would be doing when he is no longer here to do it.

mac388

Actually, Walt did not run the company well. It was his brother Roy that saved the company a few times. Walt actually lost a great deal of money on his first venture (1700 dollars at that time was a lot), and Roy convinced him to move out to L.A. where Roy was being treated for tuburculosis. Also, when Walt died, the company went for a downturn because the CEO's that were chosen (i.e. Ron Miller, a businessman and son-in-law of the Disney family) were too business oriented.
It was Roy Disney, Jr. that approached Michael Eisner and Frank Wells exclusively and privately to discuss them taking over the Disney company. Roy was disgusted with what was happening to the company that his Uncle had built, and wanted a creative spirit.
If you read Michael Eisner's book, Work in Progress, you'll see that Michael Eisner is NOT a businessman, he was a liberal arts major and took one accounting class at NYU while he was a young employee at ABC. The reason the board of directors at Disney voted for him to be CEO is because he told them "You can buy MBA talent, but not creative talent."
Trust me, being a former Cast Member, I also blamed Mike Eisner a lot for some of the company's downturn. His book and other research made me change my mind. I realized that every business has its ups and downs; and Eisner has never been in the tabloids as many other CEO's and Hollywood executives have.

I highly recommend reading his book. It's only 3.87 for paperback on Barnes and Noble.com! :sohappy:

disneydawg

Re: Re: Disney:By the Numbers

Originally posted by djmatthews

Walt Disney was a dreamer, Roy was the the doer - the business man, without Roy, the Disney company would not be what it is now.

Well said. The better comparison would be Roy to Eisner. Eisner, for the most part, leaves the ideas to Imagineering. Whereas Walt was neck deep into Imagineering. Whenever I read about Walt its about ideas, whenever I read about Eisner its about stock prices.

mac388

I agree. Michael Eisner's job is to run the company so that it doesn't tank. Walt Disney had great ideas that turned out to be highly profitable, basically because he believed that quality was key. I think Mike Eisner and Roy would be a better comparison as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom