Disney buses security question

sarisa

Original Poster
Hi all, hope everyone is safe and healthy. I'm new here, and I had a question about the security on Disney buses, particularly those from the resorts to the parks and back. Does anyone know if there's any kind of cameras on the Disney buses? I had an uncomfortable incident take place when I was on one recently- not really sure what can be done about it now, months later, but I wondered if anyone knew? Before I take the step of asking someone officially? (Not that there's anyone to ask at the moment, what with the pandemic and all...) The only article I've found dates back to 2012, and at that point security cameras were only being tested, and only recorded the driver and the bus entrance, not the guests.

Thanks for your help with this. Kind of terrified to be asking but idk. I'd like to know.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
My guess is yes but I have no real knowledge.
You can call or email.
Although its odd to me that it bothers you so much now but clearly you didn't bring the issue to anyone's attention MONTHS AGO when it happened.
And instead you just randomly join this forum to ask...

sarisa

Original Poster
On a Disney resort bus in January, an older man sat next to me, pressed his entire body against mine no matter how I tried to move away, kept spreading his legs wider and wider, and then reached between my legs and grabbed my inner upper thigh. I was wearing leggings, but he grabbed me up under my dress. His family sat across from us and either didn't notice or disregarded his behavior. He kept leaning forward to smile at what looked like his toddler grandson, and the rest of the trip, I couldn't move away, just had him up against the entire side of my body. In the moment I was very afraid and uncomfortable and frankly ashamed, and just wanted to flee the bus. I was alone, having a panic attack, and couldn't get the smell of his cologne out of my nose.

I didn't get a good look at the man (was, quite frankly, frozen) and so reporting it would be pointless if the incident wasn't caught on camera. I don't remember his face, just a general description. I've been lucky enough that nothing like this has happened to me since college, and I would have thought I'd have yelled, gotten the driver's attention, but all I could do was stare at his grandson, sitting right there. I just... froze. And when the bus got to Magic Kingdom, I just... had to get away.

So I guess I'm going to call, now. I guess thank you for the practice telling someone this story, and for giving me the chance to practice not losing my temper or from becoming defensive when someone takes a skeptical and accusing tone. It's taken me this long to tell anyone about it other than my therapist. If there aren't cameras facing the guests on buses, then I suppose that's that.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
On a Disney resort bus in January, an older man sat next to me, pressed his entire body against mine no matter how I tried to move away, kept spreading his legs wider and wider, and then reached between my legs and grabbed my inner upper thigh. I was wearing leggings, but he grabbed me up under my dress. His family sat across from us and either didn't notice or disregarded his behavior. He kept leaning forward to smile at what looked like his toddler grandson, and the rest of the trip, I couldn't move away, just had him up against the entire side of my body. In the moment I was very afraid and uncomfortable and frankly ashamed, and just wanted to flee the bus. I was alone, having a panic attack, and couldn't get the smell of his cologne out of my nose.

I didn't get a good look at the man (was, quite frankly, frozen) and so reporting it would be pointless if the incident wasn't caught on camera. I don't remember his face, just a general description. I've been lucky enough that nothing like this has happened to me since college, and I would have thought I'd have yelled, gotten the driver's attention, but all I could do was stare at his grandson, sitting right there. I just... froze. And when the bus got to Magic Kingdom, I just... had to get away.

So I guess I'm going to call, now. I guess thank you for the practice telling someone this story, and for giving me the chance to practice not losing my temper or from becoming defensive when someone takes a skeptical and accusing tone. It's taken me this long to tell anyone about it other than my therapist. If there aren't cameras facing the guests on buses, then I suppose that's that.
If this happened you would not just do nothing and post about it on a forum months later.
What a troll.

sarisa

Original Poster
Wow, thank you so much for the warm welcome to this forum, and for completely disbelieving what happened to me. I was assaulted on the vacation I'd looked forward to and saved for for years, was too humiliated and ashamed and terrified to report it at the time- I literally don't remember his face, spent the rest of that 20 minute bus ride twisted around in my seat trying not to look at the man, so I didn't think there was anything anyone could do if I couldn't remember his face. Boy will I sure not forget that cologne, though.

Neither did my friends suggest reporting it when I returned to them- they said they were sorry it happened, and then the vacation continued on. I only in the last weeks have accepted that the word 'assault' applies to what happened to me.

It is not my fault that this happened to me. This pervert's actions are not my responsibility. He made me feel unsafe and violated on a DISNEY BUS, in WDW, a place I've loved every time I've gone, a place where this stuff isn't supposed to happen. A place where I felt SAFE. I didn't think anyone in an official capacity would believe me that it happened without video, without witnesses or proof, and so I stayed quiet about it. And lo and behold, shockingly, the first person to respond to my question about cameras calls me a troll, and says this couldn't possibly have happened, that my reaction is impossible to fathom, that I could never have not reported something like this. What slime of a person I am, the victim of the assault, for having a reaction that isn't what you think YOU would do. How YOU would respond. And you wonder why the vast majority of assaults and rapes aren't reported.

Well, let me tell you. I am not a troll, and this happened. It happened to me. A man grabbed me. Between my legs. Under my dress. In front of his family. And you know what? When I looked over, horrified, he SMILED at me. Politely. As though this was just a normal interaction between two people on a bus, and I couldn't still feel his hand on me.

How dare you call me a liar? What sort of person would EVER make this up, would lie about it and risk the sort of response you just gave me?

You know what, "Queen of the WDW Screne"? Thank you. Thank you for not believing me, random Karen of the internet that I will never see in person, and thank the Lord in heaven for that. Because you've ed me off enough to overcome my fear, and after having had this conversation here and defending myself, I'm calling Disney guest services right now. And whether or not they can do anything about it or have any record of it, it happened on the 8am bus to Magic Kingdom from Boardwalk, and I have the date right in my phone, so hell, maybe they CAN do something.

Thank you so much. Your being the absolute worst has, contrary to your apparent hopes, given me the guts to say something about what happened to me. At the very least, maybe I can do something to prevent this from happening to someone else.

Shame on you.

Last edited:

sarisa

Original Poster
Thank you. I plan to do that today, right after work. If anyone is interested re: the cameras, I will report back about what they say.

John park hopper

You should have said something at the time it happened waiting this long without video proof is ---he said she said. The fact that it was not a Disney employee the most IMO you will get from Disney is a sorry this happened.

sarisa

Original Poster
I'm well aware that without video proof, that will be the result. But my complaint will be on record. Please see above for why I did not report it at the time. I'm not writing all of that out again. Yes, I should have said something. I shouldn't have panicked, or been in denial, or felt too violated to approach anyone. I wish I had been able to at the time. I am doing so now. But then, speaking of 'should haves', that man shouldn't have touched me, either. And I refuse to be blamed or made to feel guilty for my reaction to what happened.

I will report back re: the cameras, in case this information is useful to anyone else in the future.

sarisa

Original Poster
I actually did not wake up this morning intending to share this story with anyone at all, and I only originally came here to ask about the cameras, so... this is actually a really hard thing to talk about and I am ending my participation in it here. Going from zero to... posting the entirety of it on the internet was not a decision I thought out very thoroughly, but thank you all for your support, and I hope that at the very least, my putting in a report can help prevent something similar from happening to someone else. Best wishes, and stay well.

NickPytlinski

your reaction at the time is the typical reaction. dont feel stupid or silly that you didn't say anything.

its easy for people to forget on a forum that you are a real person.

absolutely 100% get in touch with disney.
the footage maybe not be available on the bus, but in other places it maybe, like the bus station or resort. and you may be able to point him out. (my work cctv lasts months)

very sorry to hear this happend to you at WDW and i hope you get through it.

Shouldigo12

Sorry some people on here acted nasty to you. Your reaction was very normal; it often takes awhile for people to come forward after something like this happens. Don't let anyone on here let you feel ashamed or bad about yourself over this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom