Disney Books

H2Opolo15

Not like childrens books... What books about the parks doe everyone read and recommend. All I've ever really had is Birnbaums but I'm looking to expand my Disney library a little...

Malvito

Not like childrens books... What books about the parks does everyone read and recommend. All I've ever really had is Birnbaums but I'm looking to expand my Disney library a little...

My personal favorite ... the one known around our Disney House as The Book (cue choral harmony) ... is the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World, by Sehlinger and Testa.

This year I also bought the Color Companion, but I would not necessarily recommend it; the info is identical (and not as detailed) and there are better photo companion books.

Upvote 0

Tomi-Rocket

my 4 cents (inflation, you know)

I highly recommend two books. The first one I've bought for our last two trips because I love it so much. The Passporter Guide to WDW is a wonderful book/planner. I know that I'm going to get one with each trip we take. I only wish I had found it sooner than 2009!

And the second which I just finished reading for the second time last night is The Hidden Magic of WDW. So, so interesting and filled with so much information and things we all miss at the parks. I love this book and will probably read it again, and again and again!

Happy reading!

Upvote 0

switts

I have read quite a few books on the world and most of these are pretty good:

Vault of Walt
Project Future
Four Decades of Magic
The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World
Imagineers field Guides
Walt Disney: The Triumph of Imagination

Upvote 0

H2Opolo15

Original Poster
So I'm almost definitely going to pick up the "Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World" because I love learning/reading about all the hidden secrets haha

Upvote 0

OrangeTeach

I've read several books on the World and in my opinion, the best book to read and it has many great pictures too, is "The Complete Walt Disney World 2011" by Mike and Julie Neal. It doesn't speak much about negative aspects of the WDW, but it is a great read.

Upvote 0

moonchild925

I too highly reccomend hidden magic of wdw. Probably my favorite so far....also the unofficial guide is fantastic. My other suggestion would be the imagineering field guides to the parks. There is one for each park. Fascinating. For a biography i really enjoyed walt disney:an american original. Happy reading!

Upvote 0

Malvito

I've read several books on the World and in my opinion, the best book to read and it has many great pictures too, is "The Complete Walt Disney World 2011" by Mike and Julie Neal. It doesn't speak much about negative aspects of the WDW, but it is a great read.

Thank you for the reminder of the Neal illustrated book. While, for pure reading, I prefer teh Unofficial Guide, the Neal guide is also a terrific read and the pics are superior to the ones offered in the Unofficial Guide's Color Companion.

Upvote 0

CaptainShortty

In my opinion Birnbaum's is the best WDW Guidebook. I love these other ones though...

The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World (Favorite by far!)
Creating Magic by Lee Cockerell
Pixarpedia (Coffee Table Book)
The Walt Disney World Trivia Book (Any of the volumes)
Since the World Began: Walt Disney World - The First 25 Years (It's an old one but I still really like it. Also a coffee table book)

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

I purchased the Unofficial Guide for our trip last year. I probably would not buy it again...1) I initially borrowed a friend's copy that was several years older and the bulk of the info was the same 2) all of the info in the book can be found online - in fact, more can be found online. So, I think if you're going to go for a book- go for one with fun lesser known facts.

Upvote 0

juscet

I am partial to the Passporter and the Birnbaum's. Keep in mind that most guides go to press in May or June for the next year. By the time you buy it there is usually something out of date or new. Using the internet is the best way to get up-to-date information.:)

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

What type of books are you looking for? Just other guide books? Books that show how the world was/should have been? Books that go into the juicy stories that Disney doesn't want shared? They are all very different types of books with different target audiences.

Upvote 0

H2Opolo15

Original Poster
I'm not necessarily looking for guide books. I can find those easily by going to the "Travel" section of the local Borders. Something that is a fun read that gives me information not a lot of people know. I enjoy learning about that sort of stuff. I am definitely going to pic up the "Hidden Magic of WDW"

Upvote 0

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I did read the Hidden Magic book...but better yet I recently read the Walt Disney World Hidden History by Kevin Yee... lots of details imagineers left around the park to rediscover and notice. I also read and enjoyed:

The Vault of Walt by Jim Korkis....forward by Diane Disney Miller fun stories about the parks and Disney never told....

Walt before Mickey Disney's Early Years 1919-1928...Susanin....am currently reading about Walt himself....and favorite coffee table book about Walt is the Inside the Dream Personal Story of Walt Disney...by Katherine and Richard Greene, nice photos and text.

AND even though I am an adult....I look eagerly foreward to each Kingdom Keeper books by Ridley Pearson.....4 out...must wait til April 2012 for next.

I read about a more adult themed version of such taking place in the parks with adults unraveling clues etc....Hidden Mickey Mysteries...have not tried but if anyone here has let me know what you thought!!

I try to google and get from library network but sometimes only place I can find some are ebay and amazon...out of print or small publisher.
THANKS!
:king:

Upvote 0

KaneMarko

Not like childrens books... What books about the parks doe everyone read and recommend. All I've ever really had is Birnbaums but I'm looking to expand my Disney library a little...

We really like the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 20xx books by Testa and Sehlinger. We feel it pretty much details everything you want and need to know about WDW. We usually get a copy from our library before our trip and take it with us when we travel to the World. If you're looking for a complete guide I'd recommend it.

Upvote 0

MrsWhiffo

Tattooed Disney Geekster
I have just bought "Stories from a Theme Park Insider" for my kindle.

Robert Niles has just self published a kindle version of his popular section on his website about when he was a cast member at magic kingdom.

Whats so nice is that you can really tell his love for the parks in the stories, and most of them are so funny. It is well worth a buy.

Upvote 0

goalman43

Try Mouse Tales and Realityland by David Koenig. The first is mostly about Disneyland, but the second is totally dedicated to WDW. Both are fascinating, but keep in mind they are not Disney approved so they have a few stories that show some of the mishaps and accidents that have invlved the park over the years. But, if you're looking for in depth details these two have it all.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom