Disney At Christmas

Jacquie

Going to Disney for very first time after Xmas this year. Will be arriving 28.12.02 for 16 days.
Should we rush and go to Magic Kingdom before year end or will we be missing much by going first week in January which I think may be quieter.

Any help appreciated for us novice Orlando tourists.
We will be two families with 4 kids under 10.

BigNorm

Avoid the Magic Kingdom if you like, but you have to check out the Osborne Family Lights at the Studios. I've never been at Christmas time, but I've heard that the Studios is the highlight of a Christmas visit.

Upvote 0

Goofalicious

I was there just this last christmas, and let me tell you, it's soo neat! I arrived Christmas day and the day after, the parks were pretty crowded, but afterwards, it wasn't that bad. The lines were pretty much a walk through. Magic Kingdom was crowded my whole vacation.

P.S. Listen to BigNorm, the Osborne Light Decorations at the MGM Studios are amazing!

Upvote 0
If you can catch it, I'd make a point to see the Candlelight Processional -- someone famous (we had Levar Burton and he was TREMENDOUS!) narrates the Christmas story as a huge chorus sings along. It's absolutely beautiful! I think we saw it on it's last night last year, which was December 29th. It's was especially emotional because there was mention of 9/11. You can buy a package that includes dinner at most of the Epcot restaurants or just stand in-line. But if you choose to stand in line, I'd get there early.

I also recommend doing lots of hotel hopping. The Christmas decorations are different at each hotel and are all absolutely beautiful. The decoration should remain up at least through New Year's Day.

Upvote 0

TURKEY

Originally posted by Married@WDW
If you can catch it, I'd make a point to see the Candlelight Processional -- someone famous (we had Levar Burton and he was TREMENDOUS!) narrates the Christmas story as a huge chorus sings along. It's absolutely beautiful! I think we saw it on it's last night last year, which was December 29th. It's was especially emotional because there was mention of 9/11. You can buy a package that includes dinner at most of the Epcot restaurants or just stand in-line. But if you choose to stand in line, I'd get there early.

DO NOT MISS CANDLELIGHT. I worked right in front of AmGard. I never got tired of hearing it. Levar was the best narrartor that I heard. Gary Sinese wasn't bad either.

Definitely do the dinner package. People were lined up for the first show and didn't get in for the 2nd one on at least a couple of days. If you do want to wait in the line, then you need to be in line about 1.5-2 hours before the show you want to see starts.

Upvote 0

disneyfan123

Do not forget to get tickets to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party at the MK. This cannot be missed!!!! It is sooooo much fun!!

*only 49 days to go*
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

FanofDinsey1981

new years is crazy at each park, but so worth it. I have done magic kingdom twice, and the fire works are great. (get there early thought!) The decroations are always fab, and the light show at MGM is so worth seeing. I am pretty sure they stay up for a few days after new years, but you may want to call up and ask for the exact dates.

The candlelight thing was pretty cool too! and the christmas parades are always fun. But definatly make plans for the new years, disney cannot go wrong with it.

the crowds will go away after new years, or shortly thereafter. Enjoy!:wave:

Upvote 0

north

christmas last year

I was there last Dec. We did the Mickey's very merry christmas party .... this was a great time at the Magic Kingdom. We had time to get on most the major rides. Enjoyed a few shows and saw one of the best firework shows ... it just surrounds the park.

Make time for the Christmas light at MGM and don't miss the Candlelight Processional over at Epcot - this is a very moving show.

The decorations are great.... the weekdays are not crowded... The parks did crowd up on Saturday.

I hope you have a great time ... we are going back in Nov. this year.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by disneyfan123
Do not forget to get tickets to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party at the MK. This cannot be missed!!!! It is sooooo much fun!!

*only 49 days to go*
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Only problem is the party ends before chirstmas...and they are getting there after christmas so it won't be possible.

Upvote 0

bvolguards

I hate to say it but it is going to be pretty crowded around x-mas and new years but after that it should not be too bad (i know from being there this time myself) but as stated above it is a great time of year to be there and Mickeys Very Christmas is awsome

Upvote 0

juan

We went to Disney the 1st week of Dec. 2000 and it was great!
We did every possible Christmas thing. The Osbourne lights were overwhelming. The very merry christmas party was great too. There's nothing like riding Space Mountain 3 times in a row at 1:30 in the morning. Even on the last Saturday of the trip -- it was the 2nd most crowded day of the year-- the lines weren't that bad (in the morning:animwink: )

Upvote 0

TURKEY

Originally posted by juan
We went to Disney the 1st week of Dec. 2000 and it was great!
We did every possible Christmas thing. The Osbourne lights were overwhelming. The very merry christmas party was great too. There's nothing like riding Space Mountain 3 times in a row at 1:30 in the morning. Even on the last Saturday of the trip -- it was the 2nd most crowded day of the year-- the lines weren't that bad (in the morning:animwink: )

You stayed for a month?

The week from Christmas to New Year's is always the most crowded. There is no way the first week of December is anywhere near the busiest times of the year.

Upvote 0

juan

We only stayed for 10 days
It was just that Saturday, only in the MK.
We were riding in the front of the monorail and the driver had told us that he got word that it was the 2nd most crowded day of the year. The line for the monorail stretched back onto MainSt. and filled the entrance plaza on both sides of the gates, every person wall to wall. We had just come from Epcot.
The rest of the trip was with very little crowds.:cool:

Upvote 0

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
even though it's one of the busier times to go, I LOVE going to WDW during the holidays. It's pure magic (i mean more than usual.. during the rest of the year, it's 100% magic.. during the holidays, it's pure magic from concentrate)..

Yes it will be busy. But it is worth it

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Jacquie
Going to Disney for very first time after Xmas this year. Will be arriving 28.12.02 for 16 days.
Should we rush and go to Magic Kingdom before year end or will we be missing much by going first week in January which I think may be quieter.

Any help appreciated for us novice Orlando tourists.
We will be two families with 4 kids under 10.

The Christmas parade at MK runs through, I think, January 6. My family and I saw it at MVMCP last year and LOVED it.

I agree with others' thoughts about Osbourne Family Spectacle of Lights.

The narrator has much to do with your enjoyment of the Candlelight Processional. When we saw it last year we had Story Musgrave (a shuttle astronaut). His narration left much to be desired, in our opinions. We would almost certainly have enjoyed Gary Sinise or LeVar Burton much more.

Upvote 0

disneydudette

Enjoy the Christmas magic in December and the rides in January.....

Osbourne lights are a must see
as well as the candle light profesional...(narraitors are important)
I never saw the Christmas party...but I'm sure its also a must see

Main thing is to enjoy the atmosphere and take in the decorations....Christmas is even more magical at Disney World!

Upvote 0

mickeyman

i like the christmas time but to me you lose a little of the feel of disney during christmas time. Its all christmas music wherever you go. It takes away from the atmosphere of certain areas when there is christmas music playing. that is just my opinion though. I am sure you will have a great time though.

Upvote 0

conntom

You must go to Disney at Christmas it is a lot of fun there are
special show like the Counrty Bears Christmas Show and much
much more. It is fun to see the Christmas Parade Live then you
have to go to the Verry Marry Christmas Party . Then at Epcot
there is the Candle Light show It move me to tears I loved will
if you go have a good time I no you will :sohappy:

Upvote 0

FanofDinsey1981

Originally posted by mickeyman
i like the christmas time but to me you lose a little of the feel of disney during christmas time. Its all christmas music wherever you go. It takes away from the atmosphere of certain areas when there is christmas music playing. that is just my opinion though. I am sure you will have a great time though.

that is why you go at christmas, AND another time of the year!! just another excuse to use to go down there.... "but honey, disney didnt 'feel' like disney. we HAVE to go back!"

:animwink:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom