Disney archivist Dave Smith passes at 78

Rteetz

Original Poster

PSM

Man, I was already in that post-trip depression since we just came home from our big trip on Thursday, then I see something like this and it makes it worse. This kind of news reminds me that no matter how many times I've gone to Disney World and how many more times I'll probably go in my lifetime, that total number of visits is finite, even for the biggest Disney fans who seem more legend than man.

I felt that same feeling while on this trip because my grandparents - who are in their 80's and starting to have more serious health problems - were able to see my son and their only great grandchild in Disney World for the first time last weekend. After taking me and my brothers often for most of our lives, plus my mom and uncles before that, it's a shock having that realization hit that they're likely approaching the end of those finite visits they'll get in their lifetime - and they've been going since it opened. It was overwhelming at points seeing them with him in the parks, thinking back on my own experiences with them when I was young, and not knowing if they'll get to do that with him again, especially at an age where he could possibly remember since he's only 1 right now.

After typing it, I thought about deleting this post because it might be a bit too sad for a forum about the happiest place on earth. But perhaps thinking about these things will make us appreciate and enjoy the time we do have with family in our favorite place whenever we go again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom